Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matt Birks becoming an issue - Whatever happened to the talks with Jason Brown?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/04/13/free...r-from-ravens/

Anybody know what happened here? Too money hungry/unrealistic?

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Birks becoming an issue - Whatever happened to the talks with Jason Brown?

I wondered this myself.

Probably unrealistic expectations. When he left here, he left because of $$$.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wondered this myself.

Probably unrealistic expectations. When he left here, he left because of $$$.
    IIRC he wanted top guard money to play center for us. Ozzie told him to take top center money or pound sand.

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Birks becoming an issue - Whatever happened to the talks with Jason Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    IIRC he wanted top guard money to play center for us. Ozzie told him to take top center money or pound sand.
    Yea, I remember that was the issue back then.

Wonder why he is unemployed now? I'm surprised he didn't even garner interest as a back up.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

It seems like O-lineman have a much more mercenary attitude compared to other positions. Maybe it's the fact that they have a chip on their shoulder for not being appreciated as much as skill position players, or maybe it's because teams don't prioritize resigning them. But you see stars hit the free agency market much more than other positions.

I see another team offering him more money than the Ravens can or will pay. The article stated they offered a conservative one year deal. I'll be surprised if he comes here.

Blog Entries

I liked Jason Brown he was athletic, smart and physical, technique was as sound as any center I could remember he only went in one direction most of the time which was forward. I remember watching brown on every play he jogged to the line with purpose. I wish we would have kept him at 24 years old I believe, he was one of the best centers in the league with us. JG, GRUBBS, BROWN, YANDA AND OHER WAS THE BEST OLINE UNIT THIS FRANCHISE HAS EVER SEEN. I don't think anyone had a question about about the Oline flacco's rookies year.

Blog Entries

I dont think Brown faired too well in St Louis.

Free agents were signed to big money, but the Rams specialized in finding players who'd never play well again. Whether its the Jacob Bell-s of 2010, the Jason Brown-s of 2011, or the make shift-s of 2012, they all contributed to Sam Bradford being on pace for being sacked over 100 times in his three year career by the end of this season.
    http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/11...-guessing-game

I do think Birk is done though. He's just been a liability since last season.

Blog Entries

I'm glad we didn't resign him. He was awful when he went over to St Louis, he's pretty much done in football.

Matt Birk was really good in his first three years here, it's just this year and towards the end of last season where he's suddenly started to take a nose dive. There were some decent FA options this year too, like Scott Wells (who ironically signed with St Louis).

Coming off of a bad year when he was bench (on a poor OL), he initially priced himself out of the market.

Then, for whatever reason, no one really seemed interested after that.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Birk's BECOMING and issue?

He's been an issue.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

As I recall, Brown signed with the Rams for $30+ million for like 5 years. The Ravens didn't have the luxury to spend that on a center. They picked up Birk for around $12 million for 4 years IIRC. Seemed to be a very savvy move by Ozzie at the time.