Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Here is your issue with power running folks.

If that is your strategy, Benard Pierce is actually your guy. Not Ray Rice. If you are looking for that guy to consistently get four to five yards, while wearing down a defense, that is Pierce. If you are looking for a guy who will end up averaging four yards per carry, because he breaks one for 20 here and there, that is Rice.

Today, they used Rice in space more, where he should have been used before now. He was much more electrifying. Instead of trying to use him the way they should have been using Pierce.

So, if you want to go power run, Rice isn't even the best option on your team for that, but you just paid him a lot of money.

What are you going to do?

I'm not saying trade Rice. I'm saying that the power running style the Ravens have been using for so long is getting old. Rice's style deviates from it. What Joe does best deviates from it. It's time to be more creative.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Here is your issue with power running folks.

They're both nasty once they get going forward. It was nice to see them use some stretch runs to use more of the field and try and get guys on the edge, where we can make use of the blocking abilities of Pitta and Boldin to help spring runs, and just use the O-line to keep the D Line occupied till the RBs could hit the corner.

That way the O line isnt tasked with having to blow open a hole on EVERY damn running play. Makes sense. You gotta "mix it up a little" here and there. Right CAM!?!?!? Lol.

It's a lot harder to defend the run when you can't count on it always going between the tackles every play. Make teams defend the whole field, and everything works better.

I think what we saw today was Caldwell making better use of space, matchups, and strengths. Which is kind of what we thought he'd do -- use guys at what they do best. Amazing concept.

Blog Entries

Over 200 combined rushing yards, yet Ex finds a way to diss Ray Rice as usual. :grbac:

Pierce got 75% of his yards on one play in garbage time.

He's a hell of a talent but this notion is every bit absurd as the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Over 200 combined rushing yards, yet Ex finds a way to diss Ray Rice as usual. :grbac:
    And you dissed joe flacco as well. The irony

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    They're both nasty once they get going forward. It was nice to see them use some stretch runs to use more of the field and try and get guys on the edge, where we can make use of the blocking abilities of Pitta and Boldin to help spring runs, and just use the O-line to keep the D Line occupied till the RBs could hit the corner.

That way the O line isnt tasked with having to blow open a hole on EVERY damn running play. Makes sense. You gotta "mix it up a little" here and there. Right CAM!?!?!? Lol.

It's a lot harder to defend the run when you can't count on it always going between the tackles every play. Make teams defend the whole field, and everything works better.

I think what we saw today was Caldwell making better use of space, matchups, and strengths. Which is kind of what we thought he'd do -- use guys at what they do best. Amazing concept.
    Agree, especially with the the using Ray in space and creating mis- matches

Pierce is better at making holes when there isn't one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Agree, especially with the the using Ray in space and creating mis- matches

Pierce is better at making holes when there isn't one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    This. It's not so much one is better than the other overall, but they have a different skill set. Rice is very shifty with a low center of gravity but doesn't have Pierce's strength and physicality.

Rice is better in space, but he's not going to open holes on his own. Pierce has more ability to do that. It's just a question of how they should be used. They're perfect complements for each other. I think Rice should focus on routes from the backfield, catching and blocking, screens, delays/draws, etc. while Pierce should be the between the tackles mauler. Kind of like how Carolina used DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart when they were doing well.

Why do people insist on posting such garbage. Ex wrong once again. Ray Rice has 5 (YES 5!!!!!!!!!!!) runs of 20+ this year in 254 carries, yet he is still averaging 4.5 YPC.

BTW, Advanced NFL Stats has Rice as #1 RB in NFL. In addition Rice has a 39.1% successful run rate and Pierce a 34.7% successful run rate.

A 78 yard run in garbage time does not a season make. YODA
    Last edited by BigBob; 12-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.

I say they compliment each other very nicely. Both are under contract so let's just enjoy it for as long as it last.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He is about as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Blog Entries

Think what he was saying was you're not using Rice as your power running back, if you're just going ground and pound like we used to use Jamal. And he's right. And personally why, with our personnel group, I feel Leach is expendable and we should use more single back sets and pick up a blocking FB in the later rounds of the draft. But I've been saying it for years that we should use him like the Igles use McCoy, and Jax uses MJD.

Right now on our roster you have T.Smith(outside) Jones(outside) and Boldin(who's best in the slot), we should be 3-wide 90% of the time, add in a rotation of standing Pitta up, and even Dickson who creates severe mismatches(just cause his hands are stone doesn't mean he isn't a matchup nightmare,lol).

But bottom line, we're no longer that power running, shut down D, winning games 13-10 type team any more.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Think what he was saying was you're not using Rice as your power running back, if you're just going ground and pound like we used to use Jamal. And he's right. And personally why, with our personnel group, I feel Leach is expendable and we should use more single back sets and pick up a blocking FB in the later rounds of the draft. But I've been saying it for years that we should use him like the Igles use McCoy, and Jax uses MJD.

Right now on our roster you have T.Smith(outside) Jones(outside) and Boldin(who's best in the slot), we should be 3-wide 90% of the time, add in a rotation of standing Pitta up, and even Dickson who creates severe mismatches(just cause his hands are stone doesn't mean he isn't a matchup nightmare,lol).

But bottom line, we're no longer that power running, shut down D, winning games 13-10 type team any more.
    No what he was saying is that Rice does not consistently get 4-5 yards, but instead gets a lot of zero's and 1's with a big gain potential to end up at 4.5 YPC. But that is patently false. If you want a guy who gets you 4 or 5 yards a pop Rice is actually the guy who does that. He rarely breaks runs of over 20+ through out his career. Rice over his career average a run of 20+ once in every 40 carries.

From today's game:

Pierce: 5, 18, 10, 1, -2, -7, 3, 1, 5, 5, 4, 2, 78 and 0
    Rice 3, 14, 5, -1, 3, 0, 2, 5, 19, 4, 0, 4, 4, 5, 4, 6, 0, 6, 5, 4, 5, 2, 0, and 8

Summary, he is wrong.
    Last edited by BigBob; 12-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.