Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rookie PK Tucker is Impressing

You don't bring in Graham to compete, because the same thing that Cundiff did is what got Graham shipped out of Cincinnati in the first place: Choking in the playoffs.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    It's harsh, but it's probably a response not shared as much by the people who actually play, coach, or manage the game. It goes w/ the territory of NFL place kicking and Cundiff would be the first to say so.

True, there are other options when that far out. But there are also times when it is proper to try a +50 yarder (say, at the end of the 1st half or to win or tie a game as it ends), so he's got to be ready to attempt +50yarders. Plus, hitting long ones is part of the overall "recovery" from the AFCCG.as is a competition itself. We need to be sure that we can trust Cundiff and that his confidence is back or still intact.
    There is a time and place, i agree. I just dont think all 6 of his tries, even the majority were in those situations, but i could be mistaken. going 1-6 in those tries is what really lowered his overall percentage of makes to below at least what i would deem acceptable. take those away and the guy was 87%, which to me may not be the best (scobee was ridiculous, connor barth, matt bryant, gould and janikowski all had great seasons), but is within reason (probably around top 10 as there was only 4-5 guys that attempted more than him between him and those top guys). I also agree with your thought that its going to take him hitting a bunch of long ones and winning a strong competition to erase that memory from some fans, others never will accept him regardless what he does. I think in Cundiffs situation (running out on the field late with little time to prepare), you could trot out all 32 starters for one try at the same kick and it would be pretty split as far as makes/misses, even though it was a shorter kick. He missed it and the others werent put in that situation, rightfully imo, so well never know. To me its more on harbaugh, saving that timeout until the end of the game was exactly for that situation.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Although I'd love him to do well and even become our starting kicker in 2012 (would probably save some cap space by cutting Cundiff), I'm not sure that I'm confident that a rookie PK can start for a team like us. Imagine a divisional round play off game now, a kick to win the game are you really going to trust this guy?
    Can't trust Cundiff so what's the difference? Cundiff already choked on the most important kick of his career. It's not like we're talking about a rookie vs. an aging Stover. A rookie vs. a player who has choked in big spots is not such a difficult transition.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think in Cundiffs situation (running out on the field late with little time to prepare), you could trot out all 32 starters for one try at the same kick and it would be pretty split as far as makes/misses, even though it was a shorter kick. He missed it and the others werent put in that situation, rightfully imo, so well never know. To me its more on harbaugh, saving that timeout until the end of the game was exactly for that situation.
    That episode was the worst bit of coaching that I have seen in Ravens history. The only fault I see for Cundiff was not over-riding Harbaugh by calling a timeout himself. Many other NFL kickers would have missed the FG in the same situation. The coaching staff knows this and the job is Cundiff's to lose.

I welcome seeing a strong-legged rookie in camp, but doubtful that he provides serious competition.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    That episode was the worst bit of coaching that I have seen in Ravens history. The only fault I see for Cundiff was not over-riding Harbaugh by calling a timeout himself. Many other NFL kickers would have missed the FG in the same situation. The coaching staff knows this and the job is Cundiff's to lose.

I welcome seeing a strong-legged rookie in camp, but doubtful that he provides serious competition.
    This.

I think the coaching staff likes Cundiff, and he is going to be the kicker in 2012, "competition" not withstanding. Graham Gano was supposed to provide competition, too, and we know how that turned out.

Blog Entries

true. in that situation i think he had enough going through his mind though, which is why it was ultimately the coaches call to take it, but it would have been nice if he had the awareness to call it himself with time running out.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

If Cundiff felt rushed, he should've burned the TO. Bad coaching yes, but Cundiff had every opportunity to call a timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    If Cundiff felt rushed, he should've burned the TO. Bad coaching yes, but Cundiff had every opportunity to call a timeout.
    Cundiff was preparing on the sidelines for the kick. He may not even have known there was a timeout to use. For all he knew, especially the way he was rushed onto the field, he may have thought there were no time outs. That really isn't on him at all.

Blog Entries

What I really wish we knew was the impact that the touchback record played in Cundiff getting that long term contract. With the rule changes suddenly finding someone who can do that isn't that difficult.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Cundiff was preparing on the sidelines for the kick. He may not even have known there was a timeout to use. For all he knew, especially the way he was rushed onto the field, he may have thought there were no time outs. That really isn't on him at all.
    Being rushed was definitely more on the coaching staff than Cundiff, but again he could have called a time out if he wasn't prepared.

Regardless of being rushed, it was a chip shot. We're not talking about lining up for a 50 yarder or something. We're talking about a kick that was pretty much right in the middle of the field and was 30 yards out. He probably hits 30-yarders blindfolded in practice.

Regarding the rookie kicker: I'm not holding out reservations that he'll be able to truly beat out Cundiff, however it would be a good thing for the Ravens to IR him or try and keep him on the PS for the season to groom and potentially replace Cundiff next season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What I really wish we knew was the impact that the touchback record played in Cundiff getting that long term contract. With the rule changes suddenly finding someone who can do that isn't that difficult.
    What makes me scratch my head even more specifically with the kick off's was he went from booming the ball down the field to barely getting past the 5 yard line or just barely sneaking it into the end zone. The year before (prior to them moving the spot up 5 yards) he was putting kick off's through the end zone without any problem. Now all of a sudden because they give him another 5 yards he can't do that? I don't get that.

I had read that it was a decision of the coaching staff to have him tee the ball up a bit differently so there would be more loft/air under the kick off, which would allow the coverage units to get down the field quicker before the returner got a full head of steam. If this is true, I think it seriously backfired throughout the season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    6-8 yards deep is going to be returned now, but Cundiff should be able to go farther than that. Being five yards closer, he should be kicking a good many right out of the back of the end zone, and that just didn't happen in 2011. He averaged 71.1 yds on kickoffs in 2010, and 67.8 yards in 2011, but those guys are running that stuff out now because the gunners don't get the same start they once did.

That being said, he was still #1 in the league in kickoff distance (6th in touchback % and 7th in total # of touchbacks), but the Ravens had the 2nd worst numbers for kick return yardage. Maybe the rest of the team just needs to learn to cover better.