Thread: Aging Defense

Aging Defense

I made a similar post about this time last year regarding all the talk of the Ravens "aging" defense. I'd just like to do this again to remind everyone with half a brain that this is a completely false statement that assumes Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are the only 2 players on the defense. The average NFL player is about 27 years old. The average defensive starter for the Baltimore Ravens is.....27.2 years old. The league average, and that's with the 2 outliers in Ray Lewis (age 36) and Ed Reed (age 33). None of the other defensive starters have hit 30 yet, with the average age for the other starting 9 (counting Jones as the starter over McPhee) at 25.8. For comparison, the average defensive starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers is 29.6 years old, with 7 of their starters over the age of 30 (Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Foote, Clark, Polamalu, Taylor).

Ray Lewis - 36
    Brenden Ayanbadejo - 35
    Ed Reed - 33

Terrell Suggs - 29
    Sean Considine - 29
    Haloti Ngata - 28
    Cary Williams - 27
    Bernard Pollard - 27

Paul Kruger - 26
    Jameel McClain - 26
    Lardarius Webb - 26
    Corey Graham - 26
    Dannell Ellerbe - 26

Art Jones - 25
    Albert McClellan - 25
    Danny Gorrer - 25
    Sergio Kindle - 25
    Chykie Brown - 25

Pernell McPhee - 23
    Terrance Cody - 23
    Jimmy Smith - 23
    Chavis Williams - 22
    Michael McAdoo - 21

Re: Aging Defense

If a lie is repeated enough, the sheeple will believe it.

Reading this list should remind everyone how badly the Ravens need superior talent at the LB and safety spots. The guys behind Ray and Ed don't inspire enough confidence to make me believe the D can be a top 5 defense again, if either player gets injured early in the season.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

The more the idiots on ESPN talk about the Ravens being an old team the better I like it. Hopefully they will all lull themselves (including the Raven's opponents) into a false sense of who and what the Ravens actually are. The proof that they are not old is going to come on the field - and all these guys are going to express their surprise and amazement.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    The more the idiots on ESPN talk about the Ravens being an old team the better I like it. Hopefully they will all lull themselves (including the Raven's opponents) into a false sense of who and what the Ravens actually are. The proof that they are not old is going to come on the field - and all these guys are going to express their surprise and amazement.
    The funny thing is this defense has been "aged" apparently since around 2005. I remember in that season them saying that. Then the 2006 team came out and laid wood to the rest of the league, and in 2008, 2009 and since, we were continually reminded that the defense was "aging" and wouldn't hold up.

You'd think they'd learn by now :)

Blog Entries

It takes just a quick look and research to realize were a pretty young team overall, and we just got young with losing the guys we did (the older guys) and replacing them with their younger counter parts.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    ... Reading this list should remind everyone how badly the Ravens need superior talent at the LB and safety spots. The guys behind Ray and Ed don't inspire enough confidence to make me believe the D can be a top 5 defense again, if either player gets injured early in the season.
    I agree, and think it's especially so for ILB. Draft aside, we do have a strong group of CBs, so perhaps one of them (Webb ?) can take over for Reed while Jimmy Smith starts @ CB. Just a possibility. However, behind Ray there is very little to choose from. Ellerbe hasn't proven anything yet, BA is old, McClellan has hardly played from scrimmage, and Bynes was on the PSquad.... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I agree, and think it's especially so for ILB. Draft aside, we do have a strong group of CBs, so perhaps one of them (Webb ?) can take over for Reed while Jimmy Smith starts @ CB. Just a possibility. However, behind Ray there is very little to choose from. Ellerbe hasn't proven anything yet, BA is old, McClellan has hardly played from scrimmage, and Bynes was on the PSquad.... Bc
    The way I see it, Safety is the only position of great need on this defense. Jameel McClain would start on almost any team in the league, and I really like McClellan at ILB from what I saw last season. Obviously you'd like more depth, but I don't think it's a thin position by any means. Between Ray Lewis, McClain, McClellan, Ayanbadejo, Bynes, and Chavis Williams there are plenty of options. At safety, if Pollard or Reed goes down, who steps in? Considine is not a capable reserve at either safety position, and he is our only backup right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    What opposition fans think and what offensive opponents think are two entirely different things. Believe me when I tell you that opposing QB's know whether or not Ray or Ed are old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    ... and I really like McClellan at ILB from what I saw last season...
    Sorry doom, but I've only isolated this from your post. Please tell us all what you saw, from McClellan's very limited play on defense, that you think is encouraging (?) I'm not saying he couldn't be productive, but I would not rely on him in 2012...would you? ... Bc

I cant wait to see Michael McAdoo this offseason/pre-season. If he has put on any weight, he could be monstrous for us. Hes extremely athletic and large, but a little on the slim side.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The funny thing is this defense has been "aged" apparently since around 2005. I remember in that season them saying that. Then the 2006 team came out and laid wood to the rest of the league, and in 2008, 2009 and since, we were continually reminded that the defense was "aging" and wouldn't hold up.

You'd think they'd learn by now :)
    Our defense will be "aging" until Ray Lewis retires. Who is the first player on our team period that most people who are not Ravens fans think of? Its Ray Lewis. And most of them probably couldn't name 3 other players on our defense. He's old, so the defense is old.

Looking at the Steelers schedule... and the average age of their defense.... they're getting hosed!

A Week 4 bye is gonna allow that team to suffer from bruises, aches and pains down the stretch. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.