Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Philly extend up LeSean McCoy

MJD is complaining about his contract too.

Blog Entries

The market has been set, AP and CJ were the anomalies. MJD, Rice, McCoy are all the same type of back. Forte is a bit different, along with Foster who IMO are more "complete" backs and comparable to each other, unless you look at overall scheme and than you could lump him into the same mix.

Al in all though, RR would be a fool not to take that Foster deal. Personally the more and more I think about it the les and less I like the notion of sticking that kind of money out there. BUT we have invested close to that in oter vet backs in Willis and Ricky who I believe both got about 4M a year for their services here, could be a tad off but the Foster deal is really only a hair above that and we can use rookie deal backs to back up RR.

Flip side says invest that money into the lines and maybe the WR position, along with spreading a bit more intothe secondary given the way the league is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, the notion that Rice should or would be getting an AP-esque deal can finally be put to rest for good. LeSean McCoy had a better year than Rice last year and it's hard to argue that Rice is a significantly better player (probably easier to argue the other way around.) And yet he got essentially the same as Arian Foster--slightly less money.

This is what Rice should be locked up for and what I expected all along.
    Wrong, wrong and more wrong but I am Riced out these days and don't feel like arguing. It would be a rather easy argument but there won't be an changing of minds around here so it is pointless.

McCoy has never and will never be on the same level as Rice, and just got 9 million a year.

That is why Rice is in line for 10 million a year much to the dismay of everyone in Baltimore for some crazy reason.

Gonna have to put the board on suicide watch when early July rolls around and Rice has a deal a little more than Foster and definitely more than McCoy.

Blog Entries

Re: OT- L. McCoy signs 5 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    5 years, $45 million with $20.765 million in guarantees

Arian Foster was 5yrs, $43.5 million contract, including $20.75 million guaranteed.

If we cant get RR to sign at around this level soon then he wont be a raven yr after next. his market is firmly set
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Wrong, wrong and more wrong but I am Riced out these days and don't feel like arguing. It would be a rather easy argument but there won't be an changing of minds around here so it is pointless.

McCoy has never and will never be on the same level as Rice, and just got 9 million a year.

That is why Rice is in line for 10 million a year much to the dismay of everyone in Baltimore for some crazy reason.

Gonna have to put the board on suicide watch when early July rolls around and Rice has a deal a little more than Foster and definitely more than McCoy.
    Honestly, people will only care if it prevents the Ravens from signing Flacco. Once Rice is signed everyone will be elated to have him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Honestly, people will only care if it prevents the Ravens from signing Flacco. Once Rice is signed everyone will be elated to have him back.
    Signing Rice has no bearing on what happens with Flacco. There is plenty of money to go around when you have a roster 1/3 full of draft picks making nothing. This is what people don't seem to get, a steady flow of draft picks that produce allows you to retain major pieces.

And as long as Ozzie and Decosta are in charge that won't be changing an time soon, for years to come.

Hensley's got a slightly different take...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-help-ray-rice

McCoy and Rice are very close, but McCoy was a better back last year. Despite worse blocking in front of him and playing in a pass-first system, McCoy posted a better YPC, more TDs, more YPG, and was better in a lot of areas Rice struggled--short yardage particularly among them. The only advantage Rice has is that he caught more passes, but the Ravens threw a much higher percentage of their passes to backs than the Eagles, which is consistent with their offensive scheme.

Over their careers, McCoy has slightly better numbers in every area except number of receptions, and even that area is very close--McCoy had 78 receptions in 2010, so he clearly has the receiving ability. You could perhaps make an argument that Michael Vick's rushing ability (and the overall superior Eagles offense) opens things up for McCoy a bit, but he was just as good with Vince Young under center and I don't think the tape supports that argument. Teams were selling out to stop McCoy last year and weren't able to do it.

Scouting the both of them, McCoy is faster, more elusive, and a bit stronger. Rice has a bit better vision and decisiveness, and is the superior receiver and route-runner. McCoy is a better pass-blocker.

Grade all of that out, and in my unbiased opinion McCoy is a slightly better back. He's also a year younger. That doesn't mean Rice isn't a superb back, but I suppose it's heresy to you to suggest that the Ravens don't have the 22 best players at each of their positions in the NFL on the roster.

Even if you disagree, which is not unreasonable, I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find people who agree with you that McCoy and Rice "aren't even on the same level."

Signing Rice has no bearing on what happens with Flacco. There is plenty of money to go around when you have a roster 1/3 full of draft picks making nothing. This is what people don't seem to get, a steady flow of draft picks that produce allows you to retain major pieces.

And as long as Ozzie and Decosta are in charge that won't be changing an time soon, for years to come.
    This is a ludicrous statement that I'm not even sure merits a challenge. Of course signing Rice has a bearing on Flacco. Rice's (presumed) deal affects the financial situation of the team and everything associated with it. If things were as easy as you make them seem, why are the Ravens so close to the cap? Why haven't they already re-signed Rice and Flacco? Why did they let Ben Grubbs go?

Hell, why bother ever negotiating with players? Just sit down at the table with the player and their agent and agree to their first proposal. Hell, it's easy--if you're playing with Monopoly money, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Hensley's got a slightly different take...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-help-ray-rice
    I'm sorry, but Hensley has lost a few marbles since he took the ESPN job, and this article smacks of the illogical, poorly thought out schlock he's been producing.

His primary justification for Rice getting more than McCoy and Foster is that Rice has more total yards over the last 3 years--but Rice started 45 games over those 3 years, while McCoy started 32 and Foster 27.

Over that time, measured by yards per game, Foster has significantly outproduced Rice, McCoy has been almost identical.

The two other backs stack up well by other efficiency measures also.

The AP and CJ deals aren't relevant because those are bad deals by stupid teams who got fleeced. Now, times have changed.

No argument from me--I think Hensley has more or less become a Steeler apologist since picking up the ESPN gig.

Unfortunately, by virtue of his position, he has the ability to shape opinions...

I love Ray Rice as much as the next guy, but LeSean McCoy had a much better and more complete season than Rice did last year and is probably a slightly better overall back at this point. They're both top-5, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    I love Ray Rice as much as the next guy, but LeSean McCoy had a much better and more complete season than Rice did last year and is probably a slightly better overall back at this point. They're both top-5, though.
    "Much" better? Wow ok.