Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown

Re: Jason Brown

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I believe that teams can actually release guys before June 1st, but under the "June 1st release" title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Well hopefully this is the case with Brown then.
    Teams have to ability to release two players at any time prior to June 1 with a "June 1st" designation, meaning the team get June 1 release Cap treatment, even though the player is released prior to that. Until June 1, the team still has to carry the player on their Cap (even if he signs elsewhere), so there's really no Cap advantage to the team.

The reason it was added to the CBA back in 2006 was to help the players, so that they can hit the FA market when all the money is still there, as opposed to after June 1, when a lot of teams are already tapped out or have already filled their needs.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

So is there any motivation for teams to release players prior to June 1 with the June 1 designation, as opposed to just waiting to June 1 to release them? Do they just do this as a courtesy to the player?

Blog Entries

So is there any motivation for teams to release players prior to June 1 with the June 1 designation, as opposed to just waiting to June 1 to release them? Do they just do this as a courtesy to the player?
    It's a courtesy to the player and part of the CBA.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Pretty much, it's an accommodation to the players, to which the owners agreed to add into the 2006 CBA.

The Ravens have always prided themselves on trying to be "player-friendly", so if they are planning to release anyone after June 1, I would assume they would use the designations.

Blog Entries

I don't blame Brown for chasing the money. In the NFL, you usually only get one big payday, and that's if you're lucky enough and good enough. He was both, and thinking there will be another payday- let alone a big one- is a huge gamble.

If he's smart, Brown has set himself and his family financially for generations.

He's had the big payday, and if he's still good enough winning might have taken a bigger place on the priority list. He wouldn't be the first player to go through that evolution of thinking in those circumstances. I think he's definitely worth a look by the Ravens.

On Gurode: the sample size of Gurode at center is too small for me to have an opinion on it. If the Ravens go with Gurode penciled in at C for next year, I'll trust that Harbaugh and Co. saw in practice enough to justify the decision. He's not a bum who was bagging groceries when they signed him, but a roster move to save money. He was playing at a high level for Dallas just the year before. So I don't think it far from likely that he's still capable of playing at that level.

per scout.com rams releasing him today. if they are going to give Birk 3 mill again wouldnt you rather use that money to bring back brown. much younger and more athletic. then we dont have to waste a high draft pick on a center.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    per scout.com rams releasing him today. if they are going to give Birk 3 mill again wouldnt you rather use that money to bring back brown. much younger and more athletic. then we dont have to waste a high draft pick on a center.
    No, because he's been rubbish.

Please bring him back.

Blog Entries

I'd bring Brown in for a look but I'd have to be sure before I'd offer him a contract.

Blog Entries

What makes you think he'll sign for 3 million? He's no doubt going to chase the money again.

Blog Entries

I thought about this one, and tbh it's a good idea. Firstly he is still at a good age for a center. He has proven to be one of the best centers in the NFL in the past, and hasn't exactly been "bad" for the Rams as others have said here. He was calling the plays for our 2008 Oline which was one of the best lines in franchise history, and it would allow us to use our draft picks on other positions than center. Honestly I really do like Peter Konz, but on one side you have a proven player who has played at a high level in the NFL, signing him would allow you to pick a bunch of defensive studs in the draft, then you have a great COLLEGE prospect who hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet and only put up 18 reps on the bench press combine test, and is nothing more than a great college center as of right now.