Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco Deal Update...

It would be understandable if someone doubted Flacco's more significant role in the team's overall success, if they had only made the playoff one year. Even, if they only made the playoffs two years in a row. However, FOUR YEARS STRAIGHT?! FOUR YEARS?! HELLO??
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It would be understandable if someone doubted Flacco's more significant role in the team's overall success, if they had only made the playoff one year. Even, if they only made the playoffs two years in a row. However, FOUR YEARS STRAIGHT?! FOUR YEARS?! HELLO??
    :word

True. The results are the results. The Ravens had never put together 4 straight seasons of playoffs in their history and that was with much better defenses than we currently have. It's a great streak and Flacco is a big part of it.

Blog Entries

So the other 52 men on the roster had no significant roles their success for the past four seasons? I cant wait to hear the spin when they don't make the playoffs. It will be everyone else's fault, lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    :word

True. The results are the results. The Ravens had never put together 4 straight seasons of playoffs in their history and that was with much better defenses than we currently have. It's a great streak and Flacco is a big part of it.
    Better defenses, better rush offenses, better special teams. Then, just look at all of the players that have come and gone. Jason Brown, Kelly Gregg, Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, Willis McGahee, Lorenzo Neal, LeRon McClain, Bart Scott, Chris McAlister, Samari Rolle, Dawan Landry, Matt Stover, etc.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    So the other 52 men on the roster had no significant roles their success for the past four seasons? I cant wait to hear the spin when they don't make the playoffs. It will be everyone else's fault, lol.
    The defense has a very significant role in why they made the playoffs, as did coaching and as did Ray Rice. However, they've had all of that for years. Something's changed. Maybe you'd like to tell me what it really is if it isn't Flacco.

Blog Entries

The defense has a very significant role in why they made the playoffs, as did coaching and as did Ray Rice. However, they've had all of that for years. Something's changed. Maybe you'd like to tell me what it really is if it isn't Flacco.
    Some of it is. To deny that would be disingenuous. I'm just not ready to anoint him as the sole reason, that's all. John Harbaugh has brought a level of consistency with him that we never enjoyed under Billick, who let the inmates run the asylum.

Blog Entries

... I cant wait to hear the spin when they don't make the playoffs...
    Are you talking about the Ravens or the Browns? It seems like you'd like to see the Ravens fail so you could jump on Flacco with both feet, but it hasn't happened yet. You're gonna have to wait some years for that IMO... Bc

Blog Entries

Some of it is. To deny that would be disingenuous. I'm just not ready to anoint him as the sole reason, that's all. John Harbaugh has brought a level of consistency with him that we never enjoyed under Billick, who let the inmates run the asylum.
    Which I never said or implied. If you go back and read my post, I implied that people were being disingenuous when they try to deny that Flacco has not played a significant role in a four year run of making the playoffs, not that he was the sole reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Are you talking about the Ravens or the Browns? It seems like you'd like to see the Ravens fail so you could jump on Flacco with both feet, but it hasn't happened yet. You're gonna have to wait some years for that IMO... Bc
    Mind reading fail. When you assume.....fill in the rest.

Blog Entries

Which I never said or implied. If you go back and read my post, I implied that people were being disingenuous when they try to deny that Flacco has not played a significant role in a four year run of making the playoffs, not that he was the sole reason.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    you must have had really high expectations for a receiving core that barely had any catches outside of boldin. which i think is the problem with a lot of fans, wanting him to be more in a system that doesnt really allow him to be. I think theres plenty of evidence that already suggests that was an aberration if youd like to call it that. Hes had steady progression in stats and efficiency every year until last year when he lost his top WRs, and even then only really dropped in completion percentage to an unsatisfactory level (which makes sense with a bunch of green receivers). youre saying the team wins not joe, but then saying joes stats werent as good as they should have been when his are dependent upon the team (receivers) performing, which is why i think you are turning a blind eye. 80.3 88.9 93.6 80.9 over 4 years, hes a QB that is in that 90+/- efficiency range with room to get better. his rookie year and last year being the only ones out of that range with reason. hes averaged 62% CP for his career before this year which i think proves the receivers issues this past year. I dont think there is an inclination that the FO isnt happy with his play of last year. They made it a point to call out the real problem, "we need wrs that can catch" because that was the issue. Id even go as far as to say Wrs that run good routes and can get open on 1 on 1 situations goes into that statement as you cant catch if you dont do those as well and that was the real issue with the offense last year. other teams can see that and know what Joe is, if he hit the open market, which yound in their prime QBs with his pedigree rarely if ever do, hell be highly sought after.

hes a top 10 QB in this league when given the talent around him to perform but obviously not elite in a way to make lesser talent perform like greats like brees brady and manning do. Rodgers Eli Roethlisberger Rivers Romo Stafford Ryan and Flacco are probably in that next tier. I cant say any of them have as bad of Receivers as Flacco does (or such an unimaginative OC) and that makes it hard to compare when you have such great WR talent. i cant say i wouldnt put him ahead of a bunch them as is anyway. I dont think fans here realize how good we got it sometimes.
    I'm not exclusively blaming Flacco for his stats taking a plunge last year--there could be any number of reasons for that. You mention the new receivers--there's also the shortened offseason from the lockout to consider (though all teams had to deal with that, and it was a record year for passing in several respects), as well as the possibility that it might have something to do with Cameron not being entirely in tune with reality, as so many fans seem to think. Frankly, I'm sorry we lost the opportunity to change that variable--I'm not convinced that Cameron's the problem, but I would have been willing to tell him to GTFO if for no other reason than to make a change and see what happened as a result of that change.

The point I'm trying to make is that in comparison to the defense, the offense is subpar, and is IMO a much smaller part of the reason that the Ravens win so many games. I don't know that the problem with the offense is Flacco, but I don't know that it isn't either, and I'm not going to ignore the possibility that he's at least part of the problem, as so many seem to do. I hope he does well this year, because I really want the Ravens to do well this year. However, I think you're being a blind fanboy if you don't think it's a reasonable possibility that we might be able to do better with a different QB, particularly based on the drop in performance Flacco had in 2011.

Sometimes it's the right thing to do to sign a player immediately--sometimes a bit of circumspection is warranted. I just think this is the latter situation.

Blog Entries

I can understand where RedMike is coming from. What's going here, in my opinion, is that the defense has long been establishing, while the offense is trying to establish itself. So, the coaching staff and front office have chosen the strategy of leaning on the established side of the ball, while they methodically develop the offense. It's not easy to develop any particular side of the ball. It took the Ravens four years to develop the defense into the type of unit that set the foundation for its current reputation.