Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Just as there was the day he was drafted. A lot of teams
    passed on him. Like I said, injuries are part of a player's game.

Mickey Mantle might have been the best baseball player ever
    if not for all these injuries and he still hit 536 homers.

FROM THE WASH POST.

1951, right knee cartilage operation;
    1952, right knee again;
    1954, knee cyst removed;
    1955, pulled groin muscle;
    1956, left knee sprained;
    1957, right shoulder injury;
    1959, broken finger;
    1961, hip abscess;
    1962, left knee injury;
    1963, broken metatarsal bone left foot;
    1965, right shoulder surgery, right elbow and left knee injuries."

NOTE: I'm pretty sure he broke the left foot in Memorial Stadium
    when it got caught under the fence. After that they put padding
    over the fence from top to bottom. I was there. We knew the
    Mick, Whitey Ford and Yogi living behind the stadium and going
    to all the games as kids. Not all stories about the Mick being
    mean to kids were true.
    I once read that if you take Mantles numbers and project them out even at 70% of what they were for when he was healthy he would have shattered most meaningful slugging records.

No Yanks fan but you have to respect the talent the man had. He had mad skills
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

I dunno this is kinda hard for me. Talent wise NE TE's are vastly superior, the problem is you don't know how long they will actually have NFL careers. Going forward I'll take our guys, because it's possible, not likely, but possible, that neither of NE's guys play again.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Its pretty silly to say that if we had Gronk we would have won 2-3 SB's, there is no way to know that.
    I didn't say WOULD, I said MIGHT... big difference. But fact remains, Gronk has been on e of the best players int eh entire NFL at any position since entering the league. He is an impact player unlike anything we have or have had a the WR/TE position ever or the Ravens. I'd take his play thus far over Heap's entire career, Mason, Boldin, Torrey....

I think it would be interesting to see what Gronkowski and Hernandez would do in a Cam Cameron offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I think it would be interesting to see what Gronkowski and Hernandez would do in a Cam Cameron offense.
    Probably nothing
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

ROFL
    Facebook -> Craig.Ciurca
    Twitter -> @papa_ciurca
    Instagram -> @papa_ciurca

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I once read that if you take Mantles numbers and project them out even at 70% of what they were for when he was healthy he would have shattered most meaningful slugging records.

No Yanks fan but you have to respect the talent the man had. He had mad skills
    And this is exactly to the point with Gronk. If you project him at his best over a 15 year NFL career, he will breeze by Tony G. But you just can't do that. Being healthy huge for all athletes. And some are better at it than others.

How is it that Ben R has missed SEVEN games against the Ravens already? It hasn't been the same one injury. It's been that the guy can't stay healthy.

No matter how good The Mick was on the field, on the bench he might as well be Mario Mendoza. Similarly, Billy Bajema can sit on the sidelines and watch football as well as Gronk. Ability is no good without DURAbility.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Hernandez? Certainly not what he has?

Gronk, I see almost no reason to think he would do much of anythign diferently then he has. he is a total package E that fits into Cam's offense better then any player we had here during his tenure.

Blog Entries

Speaking of CAM, I read somewhere that he told Oz he didn't want Gronk
    because he didn't fit into his offense. Whatever, Gronk wasn't on Ozzie's
    radar and somewhere Oz is laughing at this thread.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

Gronk, I see almost no reason to think he would do much of anythign diferently then he has. he is a total package E that fits into Cam's offense better then any player we had here during his tenure.
    If you really think that, you should check out the number of times each guy (Gronkowski, Hernandez, Pitta, Dickson) was targeted. The difference is astounding, and I don't think it is merely due to the talent levels. The fact is that the Ravens' offense ran through Ray Rice; the Patriots offense ran through a short passing game (Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez). That wouldn't change if the players were wearing different uniforms. There is no way Cam Cameron would have targeted Gronkowski/Hernandez a combined 237 times in a single year. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

You are overvaluing Gronk in the Ravens offense. Look at the draft metrics of both players and they are damn near identical. Gronk is an inch and a half taller and 13lbs heavier. His athleticism at that size is impressive. Yes Gronk when healthy is a better player. Yes he is a better blocker. If you had the players switch teams Pitta would have better stats on NWE than what Gronk would have on the Ravens under Cam. New England has run a spread offense that relies heavily on passing. The Ravens have been running the complete opposite. The opportunities for catches are far greater in NWEs offense. Pitta would have gone to a few pro bowls if he were in New England. Pitta may very well end up in one this year with the Ravens. Definitely would take Gronk healthy but the offense numbers are a result of the offenses in which they play. I do think Gronk would have been a better fit for the Ravens and not because of his catching ability but because of his blocking ability. He would have been better at blocking the run. His catches would more than likely have been similar to those of Pitta. Maybe slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    If you really think that, you should check out the number of times each guy (Gronkowski, Hernandez, Pitta, Dickson) was targeted. The difference is astounding, and I don't think it is merely due to the talent levels. The fact is that the Ravens' offense ran through Ray Rice; the Patriots offense ran through a short passing game (Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez). That wouldn't change if the players were wearing different uniforms. There is no way Cam Cameron would have targeted Gronkowski/Hernandez a combined 237 times in a single year. No way.

Again, I'm with you on Hernandez...
    But Gronk is a supreme talent, that can block his arse off, and creates matchup problems beyond any other player in the league. Hisstats mightbe marginally lower due to a few less targets, but not by leaps and bounds for sure. Without a doubt in my mind he would be targetd more then Pitta and Dickoncombined were.