Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much is Pitta worth per year?

Having dinner with some co-workers this evening in Jacksonville. One of the guys is first cousins with Pitta's dad. I guess that makes them second counsins.

Anyway, my understanding is that Pitta would be worth 2nd round "tender" money this time around.. meaning $1.5 - $2.0 mill per year. The guy I was with at dinner who knows a lot more than I do says that Pitta will ask for $4 mill + per year. This is coming straight from a family member so I find it believable.

We are in some serious cap trouble if a guy like Pitta is looking for $4 mil per year.

Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

He may get something close to that. I don't see him leaving. He likes it too much here. A chemistry with Joe on and off the field.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

R-2003--
    I have no idea how things will work out, but I'd guess Ozzie and company already have some type of spreadsheet set up that shows who makes what (and dependent upon who they expect to have back nest season), so if that is true, I'd further guess the Ravens have a number in mind at this point. I'd think Pitta and his agent will do what virtually every SB winning guy does when "re-upping", that is, go high and wait for the counter-offer. Also, did the guy have any idea what Pitta was looking for in terms of # of years, guaranteed $$$, etc.? Obviously that will impact what the Ravens are willing to part with in order to keep him.

IMHO, a lot of guys have a somewhat inflated sense of what their market value is. Didn't Lewis find out a few seasons ago that previous performance is not an indicator of future largesse? However, it sounds to be a very interesting off-season for the Ravens FO.

Blog Entries

I absolutely love the TD pass to Pitta - Joe just stuck it in there, Pitta catches and walks away like a boss. Everytime I see that replay I say to myself man that is f**cking awesome.

Blog Entries

After next year, he may earn it. Dickson had some nice plays in the postseason, but clearly Pitta is the guy, because of his relationship with Joe and his skills at TE.

He's a top 10 TE in my book. Not sure the going rate at that level...I wouldn't pay him Gronk, Hernandez, Graham type money...but certainly would pay him as well as Pettigrew or Gresham.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Pay Pitta, let Dickson walk and draft someone with our 10-11 draft picks we got coming. Easy decision IMHO.

Blog Entries

I'd say around 5 million a year if he has another solid year under the first round tender he's about to receive. The Ravens could always get a discount now by giving him a cheaper deal for what he is atm.

4m a year is the market rate for a just-below Pro Bowl level tight end, if not even a bit of a bargain. Owen Daniels signed a 4 year, 22m deal just prior to the 2011 season, and he was slightly older than Pitta but more proven.

If I were Ozzie, I would offer Pitta a 5 year 20m deal right now. Set his 2013 salary at the veteran minimum and structure the bonus(es) the right way and you might actually even end up with a small bit of cap relief over the 2013 RFA tender, but at worst you're not HURTING your cap. Pitta has proven more than enough to commit to him long-term; if he'll sign now there's no reason at all not to do the deal.

Dickson should be traded if we can find a trade partner. He offers no value in the short-term or long-term to this team, but he could be a good "move" TE for a team that needs one. I think the chances of trading him are not bad at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    4m a year is the market rate for a just-below Pro Bowl level tight end, if not even a bit of a bargain. Owen Daniels signed a 4 year, 22m deal just prior to the 2011 season, and he was slightly older than Pitta but more proven.

If I were Ozzie, I would offer Pitta a 5 year 20m deal right now. Set his 2013 salary at the veteran minimum and structure the bonus(es) the right way and you might actually even end up with a small bit of cap relief over the 2013 RFA tender, but at worst you're not HURTING your cap. Pitta has proven more than enough to commit to him long-term; if he'll sign now there's no reason at all not to do the deal.

Dickson should be traded if we can find a trade partner. He offers no value in the short-term or long-term to this team, but he could be a good "move" TE for a team that needs one. I think the chances of trading him are not bad at all.
    Ozzie isn't extending Pitta early. We all know that.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ozzie isn't extending Pitta early. We all know that.
    And why would you? Offer him the the $2M/2nd round tender. If someone offers him $4M and a 2nd round pick...and he accepts...you take it and don't look back.

Newsome will find a TE replacement (that has NEVER been a problem)...and with Flacco's track-record with Heap and Pitta...I bet you would find 2 or 3 veteran TEs that have been languishing under a bad QB that would sign in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    And why would you? Offer him the the $2M/2nd round tender. If someone offers him $4M and a 2nd round pick...and he accepts...you take it and don't look back.

Newsome will find a TE replacement (that has NEVER been a problem)...and with Flacco's track-record with Heap and Pitta...I bet you would find 2 or 3 veteran TEs that have been languishing under a bad QB that would sign in a heartbeat.
    Where's the upside in that transaction? Go out and sign a veteran TE for 2 or 3m a year, saving 1m, and hope and pray they can have the kind of chemistry and rapport Dennis and Joe shared? That sounds like a minimal return on investment to me especially in a year where we already have 0 TEs under contract.

Pitta is an offensive cornerstone. There's no reason to think he can't lock down the position for another 5 years. While I agree that TEs are generally fairly replaceable, that's why they come cheap. 4m a year is not a rich deal at all, and Pitta was one of the best receiving TEs in the whole league last year. I expect him to go nowhere but up. That's even MORE reason why it's better to sign him now to a cheaper deal rather than wait a year.

Ozzie has gambled over and over again on betting against players in the hopes of their value going down only to have it blow up in his face. I think he's learned his lesson in part; he locked up Webb before he even entered free agency last year. I see no reason not to do that with Pitta this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Where's the upside in that transaction? Go out and sign a veteran TE for 2 or 3m a year, saving 1m, and hope and pray they can have the kind of chemistry and rapport Dennis and Joe shared? That sounds like a minimal return on investment to me especially in a year where we already have 0 TEs under contract.

Pitta is an offensive cornerstone. There's no reason to think he can't lock down the position for another 5 years. While I agree that TEs are generally fairly replaceable, that's why they come cheap. 4m a year is not a rich deal at all, and Pitta was one of the best receiving TEs in the whole league last year. I expect him to go nowhere but up. That's even MORE reason why it's better to sign him now to a cheaper deal rather than wait a year.

Ozzie has gambled over and over again on betting against players in the hopes of their value going down only to have it blow up in his face. I think he's learned his lesson in part; he locked up Webb before he even entered free agency last year. I see no reason not to do that with Pitta this year.
    It is for the Ravens.

I would love to keep Pitta...and Boldin...and Jacoby Jones...but I don't see there is anyway they can afford Pitta @ $4M with Flacco's new deal in place.

I would hate to lose him, but if someone offers up a second-round pick, I think you take it.