Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Hines Ward to Retire

Figured he would retire when the game was on the line in Denver and Cotchery and Sanders were the 3rd and 4th receiver instead of Ward.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Prob should be expecting retirement statements from a few more Steelers as well.

Farrior, Hampton, and Aaron Smith to name a few.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    That team is going to look A LOT different next year.

Their cap woes are reported to be epic.
    No surprise that he is retiring and as said above, it's a year too late. Regarding their cap woes, is it any different than what the Ravens did this year, cutting a slew of veterans and moving on? I've read some articles that predict major gloom but usually teams figure out ways around a lot of that.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

And so it ends

1,000 receptions and Superbowl MVP, a career any receiver would be happy to have

Not a suprise, Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Cotchery ahead of him
    And I think I read he was due four million next year so he was certain to get cut

Retire with his team now so and go out on a good note rather then scrambling around as an unattractive free agent this offseason

Buh-Bye! His best days were waaaaaaay behind him. Better to get out now while he still has his health.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. His blocking in the run game, good guy reputation and the fact that he owns all those Steelers all time records will carry a lot of weight. Even his "dirty" reputation over time will be seen as a guy who would push the limit to win. Two Super Bowl rings and MVP of one of them -- I think he gets in eventually. Plus there is the idea that he "revolutionized" the slot WR position which led the way for Welker and others.
    There is such a log jam at WR that a player needs stellar numbers to get in. Ward just doesn't have that. Hall of Fame seems to come down to numbers given your peers. Ward made 4 Pro Bowls in 14 years and never led the league in anything. Chris Carter, TO, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown and Tory Holt all have to get in before Ward. That's just too many players.

Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No surprise that he is retiring and as said above, it's a year too late. Regarding their cap woes, is it any different than what the Ravens did this year, cutting a slew of veterans and moving on? I've read some articles that predict major gloom but usually teams figure out ways around a lot of that.
    Oh, they'll figure out a way, but it sounds like it's going to be more than cutting 3 guys like we did.

I haven't looked too much at it myself yet, but it sounds like they're going to have to have a major purge and aren't going to be in a position to reload, other than through the draft. Remember, we cut guys to be able to sign and re-sign other guys (Yanda, Leach, Pollard, Ricky, McKinney, Evans). At least based on what I've read so far, I don't think they are going to be in that position. They're going to need to cut guys just to get under the Cap. Although, granted, a lot of those guys are pretty old/injured anyway (Ward, Hampton, Farrior, Smith, McFadden, etc).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Buh bye cheap shot artist.

Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Oh, they'll figure out a way, but it sounds like it's going to be more than cutting 3 guys like we did.

I haven't looked too much at it myself yet, but it sounds like they're going to have to have a major purge and aren't going to be in a position to reload, other than through the draft. Remember, we cut guys to be able to sign and re-sign other guys (Yanda, Leach, Pollard, Ricky, McKinney, Evans). At least based on what I've read so far, I don't think they are going to be in that position. They're going to need to cut guys just to get under the Cap. Although, granted, a lot of those guys are pretty old/injured anyway (Ward, Hampton, Farrior, Smith, McFadden, etc).
    Would love to hear your input! (there is Ravens related stuff in there as well)

http://ravens24x7.com/forum/showthre...plete-disaster

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is such a log jam at WR that a player needs stellar numbers to get in. Ward just doesn't have that. Hall of Fame seems to come down to numbers given your peers. Ward made 4 Pro Bowls in 14 years and never led the league in anything. Chris Carter, TO, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown and Tory Holt all have to get in before Ward. That's just too many players.

Agreed, add Marvin Harrison too. Heck, there seems to be a bias against WRs anyway - and that was before the explosion of the passing offenses we're seeing now. It's only going to get tougher for guys like Ward. I just don't see it.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap