Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Unitas is Baltimore's second best QB. Joe's going to win another Superbowl, and be the all time leader in every stat in Baltimore by the time he retires.

If Joe somehow fails to win a second SB, Joe will be #2
    I really hope you're just trolling with this post. Because if you're serious....I don't....I don't even know what to say to you. The level of ridiculousness is really that high.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I really hope you're just trolling with this post. Because if you're serious....I don't....I don't even know what to say to you. The level of ridiculousness is really that high.
    Yeah, with all due respect, Unitas isn't even in this conversation. Unitas was/is the QB gold standard everyone else was compared to.

Blog Entries

this was way before my time, way before I even became a Ravens fan, but from what my dad told me Bert was the man back in the day.

Blog Entries

#FearTheMallett

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    #FearTheMallett
    lol that release

Just my two cents.... When talking about playoff wins the competition also needs to be discussed. Bert was up against some of the best/dirtiest teams in NFL history. The steelers and Oakland took delight in injuring players and the "can't touch me cause I'm a QB" rules didn't apply. I'm hesitant to say what I think about Joe facing the teams that Bert faced. What QB today gets their teeth knocked out or is allowed to get speared with the helmet? QBs back then got picked up and slammed on fields that were hard as ice. I saw what Bilicheat saw. He was the best all around passer when healthy. And man could he run with the ball.

Flacco with 2 Superbowl MVPs > Unitas . If Flacco wins another ring, he's baltimores GOAT. Thats not a troll, thats a fact.

If he doesnt win, he's still #2

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Just my two cents.... When talking about playoff wins the competition also needs to be discussed. Bert was up against some of the best/dirtiest teams in NFL history. The steelers and Oakland took delight in injuring players and the "can't touch me cause I'm a QB" rules didn't apply. I'm hesitant to say what I think about Joe facing the teams that Bert faced. What QB today gets their teeth knocked out or is allowed to get speared with the helmet? QBs back then got picked up and slammed on fields that were hard as ice. I saw what Bilicheat saw. He was the best all around passer when healthy. And man could he run with the ball.
    IDK man, Bert played before the roid era began. These guys today have freakish strength and speed to go along with size. Joe has taken some shots that I doubt Bert, or many of those guys in his era would have survived. Joe has been very durable, at least up to 2015. He didn't miss a start in 8 1/2 seasons. And considering a couple of those years he was at or near the top in sacks says plenty about how tough Joe is.

Don't get me wrong, I was, and am still a huge B Jones fan. He had 3 damn good years. After the shoulder injury though, he was not the same QB.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Flacco with 2 Superbowl MVPs > Unitas . If Flacco wins another ring, he's baltimores GOAT. Thats not a troll, thats a fact.

Well, Unitas won two championships, back to back, in 58 and 59.
    And was league MVP a number of times, while also leading the league several times in either passing yards or touchdown passes and sometimes both.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Unitas won two championships ('58 & '59), plus was a contributor to the 1970 SB winning team. He redefined the game, and ran a passing offense before passing offenses were in vogue. He was a trendsetter, and truly ahead of his time. He's one of the best to ever play the damn game. I'm a big fan of Joe, and I think that people that sell him short do so without fairly considering all of the facts. But to say that Joe is even close to the player Johnny U was is just mind bogglingly silly, whether he wins another SB (or several more) or not. I dunno how old you are, but I'm 41. Johnny U was done playing before I was born, so maybe if you're younger than me your opinion is influenced by ignorance of the facts. I dunno. But I suggest you do some research. Johnny U was Peyton Manning before there was Peyton Manning, only Johnny U led the Colts to multiple championships. Actually a better Comp is probably Tom Brady. Johnny U was the Tom Brady of his era.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Unitas won two championships ('58 & '59), plus was a contributor to the 1970 SB winning team. He redefined the game, and ran a passing offense before passing offenses were in vogue. He was a trendsetter, and truly ahead of his time. He's one of the best to ever play the damn game. I'm a big fan of Joe, and I think that people that sell him short do so without fairly considering all of the facts. But to say that Joe is even close to the player Johnny U was is just mind bogglingly silly, whether he wins another SB (or several more) or not. I dunno how old you are, but I'm 41. Johnny U was done playing before I was born, so maybe if you're younger than me your opinion is influenced by ignorance of the facts. I dunno. But I suggest you do some research. Johnny U was Peyton Manning before there was Peyton Manning, only Johnny U led the Colts to multiple championships. Actually a better Comp is probably Tom Brady. Johnny U was the Tom Brady of his era.
    Yup. Unitas stays #1 in my book, unless Flacco has some truly, truly great seasons ahead of him. It'd take more than just a 2nd Super Bowl, that's for sure. Oh, Joe may well eclipse some of Unitas' records by playing several more years - in particular I think he'll surpass Johnny U's career yardage mark of 40,239 yards. But getting to 40,000 yards ain't what it used to be - consider that freakin' Andy Dalton is already more than halfway to that milestone. It was a lot harder in Unitas' day. The offensive style was less pass-friendly, the defenses were allowed to actually play, and annual schedules were only 12 game schedules vs. the modern era's 16 games.

EDIT: Schedules were 12 games until 1961, then 14 games for the balance of Unitas' career. In any case fewer annual games than the modern schedule.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 07-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.

If he doesn't win, he's still #2
    Huh?

No offense, but: that's one of the most absurd statements I've ever seen posted in the 18 (?) year history of this and predecessor message boards!

Unitas was the gold standard of NFL QBs for decades. I believe that, even today, most sportswriters would put him up there with Brady & Montana, maybe Elway.

I love what Joe has done for this franchise, and praise him for his performance in the 2012 playoffs, but, honestly, he's not on the same planet as the great Johnny U.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).