Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 15161718 LastLast

Re: The John Harbaugh Debate Thread (Merged Threads)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    A couple things to consider:

Fact #1: If we make the playoffs this year, John Harbaugh will have, in 4 seasons, matched the number of post-season trips (4) that Brian Billick made in NINE seasons.
    Fact #2: If we win 1 playoff game this year, Harbaugh will also match Billick's total number of career playoff victories.
    Fact #3: Billick and Harbaugh have both worked with/under the same GM resonsible for aquiring the talent and assembling a roster.
    Fact #4: Of the 53 players on the current roster, there are only 8 left over from Billick's last team. That's an 85% turnover in the last 4 years.

At some point in time, people are gonna have to give up the whole "merely inherited great players/teams" argument.
    I really feel our drafting has gotten better ever since DeCosta came on board. Not to knock Ozzie, but I'd love to see how Dee fairs when his time comes to be GM.

Fact #2: If we win 1 playoff game this year, Harbaugh will also match Billick's total number of career playoff victories.

Billick coached teams won 4 playoff games in the 2000 season, and one in the 2001 season.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

A couple things to consider:

Fact #1: If we make the playoffs this year, John Harbaugh will have, in 4 seasons, matched the number of post-season trips (4) that Brian Billick made in NINE seasons.
    Fact #3: Billick and Harbaugh have both worked with/under the same GM resonsible for aquiring the talent and assembling a roster.
    Fact #4: Of the 53 players on the current roster, there are only 8 left over from Billick's last team. That's an 85% turnover in the last 4 years.

At some point in time, people are gonna have to give up the whole "merely inherited great players/teams" argument.
    Opinion #1: Harbaugh inherited a team that expected to make the playoffs and contend for the division because that is where Billick had set the bar. Billick took a franchise that was a joke and stuck in irrelevance and gave it an identity and a winning attitude. Billick handled the Ray Lewis Atlanta situation perfectly and turned a potential disaster into a championship season. When Billick left it was time for him to go, but I will always be grateful for what he brought to the Ravens and to Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

Billick coached teams won 4 playoff games in the 2000 season, and one in the 2001 season.
    I think he just messed up. Harbs already has 4 wins, so one more will match Billicks total of 5.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Opinion #1: Harbaugh inherited a team that expected to make the playoffs and contend for the division because that is where Billick had set the bar. Billick took a franchise that was a joke and stuck in irrelevance and gave it an identity and a winning attitude. Billick handled the Ray Lewis Atlanta situation perfectly and turned a potential disaster into a championship season. When Billick left it was time for him to go, but I will always be grateful for what he brought to the Ravens and to Baltimore.
    I'm with you in appreciating Billick. I thought it was time for him to go, but I don't harbour any ill will (except for the home playoff loss to the Irsays). He brought us a Lombardi Trophy and turned a basement-dweller into a team fans can reasonably expect to see the playoffs more years than not.

Harbaugh, however, didn't take over a team with playoff expectations. They were coming off a 5-11 season. The core of the team was older. There were reasonable questions as to whether or not Ozzie needed to blow the team up and rebuild. In one year Harbaugh was able to get the team back under control and listening to the coaching staff, and we made a remarkable run with a rookie QB to the AFC Championship Game.

He's a good head coach. He's a good head coach in large part, in my opinion, because he wasn't an offensive or defensive coordinator and doesn't try to take control of either side of the ball. Mattison gets criticized too much, imo, because the critics rarely consider the skills and playing level of the personnel he had, but we remained one of the top defenses in the league during his tenure as DC. Cameron, while I agree with a lot of the criticisms, has overall done a lot with what was available to him. We didn't make the playoffs the last three years in spite of Cameron. He spent the first two seasons adapting his offense to protect Flacco and help him manage the games. Last year they tried to run a ball control offense while giving Flacco more weapons. This year they're making the switch to a more dynamic, aggressive offense. They're doing that with only two members of the receiving corps who had more than a handful of catches in the NFL coming into the season (Boldin and Rice). If Sunday indicates a change of heart (or at least an epiphany) from Cameron, we should see a greater commitment to running the ball to compliment the deep threat. I think, though perhaps that's more hope, that we will.

6. Re: The John Harbaugh Debate Thread (Merged Threads)

How can any sane person question whether he is a good coach or not???????

Are you people mental??

I'm reading through this and anyone who agreed that Billick was a better coach, or that John isn't a good coach, lmao i'm officially looking at you in a different light, everyone has their own opinion, but wow, some opinions are just stupid, this is the dumbest thread I've ever seen.

If we make the post season this year that will be 4 seasons in a row!!! That alone puts him head and shoulders above Billick.

People wanna ride Jim harbaugh's jock, this season but everyone forgets the coaching Job John didn his rookie season.

Took a 5-11 team, with a rookie Quarterback, and a team with LARGER THAN LIFE personalities, see Jim doesn't have to deal with that. John got Ray/ed/suggs/ all those guys to buy into what he was preaching and we reached the AFC championship game. I really think Jim harbaugh is a heck of a coach, but the thing is he's the new flavor in town, sooner or later, we'll be talking about another coach like we're talking about him.

John is consistent, something billick wasn't, and we'll have to see if Jim is. You don't realize how hard it is to make the post season consistently in the NFL, only the Pats and Colts can say they do it consistently, even the steelers weren't every year goers with big ben. and I don't think anyone will compare Joe to Brady or Manning.
    Last edited by BleedPurple92; 11-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Hate to break it to you all but it IS possible to like and respect the accomplishments of both Billick and Harbs.

Shocking, I know.

8. Re: The John Harbaugh Debate Thread (Merged Threads)

Appreciate what you have, in coach harbaugh, in the sprit of thanksgiving becuase, you really dont know what you've got till its gone, this winning every year thing is rare in the NFL ask half the teams in it. Its not that we're richer than other teams like in baseball. Its pure coaching, and drafting, everyone in the NFL is talented.

This is exactly what happened when Rex was hired by NY.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

10. Re: The John Harbaugh Debate Thread (Merged Threads)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Hate to break it to you all but it IS possible to like and respect the accomplishments of both Billick and Harbs.

Shocking, I know.
    That's perfectly fine, but to say Harbaugh isn't a good coach or he is in over his head, well that's just wrong. I was always a billick fan, but i think Harbaugh has proven he's a hell of a coach.

Once people get a little taste of success they always want more and more, and are never happy with with they have, this is a perfect example. I'm happy with going deep into the playoffs every year, if you keep hammering one of these years you're gonna win the big one. Elmo could be our coach, and if he could do that for us i wouldn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    That's perfectly fine, but to say Harbaugh isn't a good coach or he is in over his head, well that's just wrong. I was always a billick fan, but i think Harbaugh has proven he's a hell of a coach.

Once people get a little taste of success they always want more and more, and are never happy with with they have, this is a perfect example. I'm happy with going deep into the playoffs every year, if you keep hammering one of these years you're gonna win the big one. Elmo could be our coach, and if he could do that for us i wouldn't care.
    :word

Opinion #1: Harbaugh inherited a team that expected to make the playoffs and contend for the division because that is where Billick had set the bar.
    Disagree. From 01-07, The Ravens only made the playoffs 3 times in 7 years, and won exactly one playoff game in that time (zero in the last 6), with an overall team record of 61 wins, 57 losses. We simply were not a consistent playoff contender, like we are now.

Billick took a franchise that was a joke and stuck in irrelevance and gave it an identity and a winning attitude. Billick handled the Ray Lewis Atlanta situation perfectly and turned a potential disaster into a championship season. When Billick left it was time for him to go, but I will always be grateful for what he brought to the Ravens and to Baltimore.
    If people have misinterpreted my comments as an attack on BB, that's wrong. I love and respect Billick for everything he did for us in his time here, and have always thought he was a very good coach. Which, of course, makes what Harbaugh has done in his time here even more impressive by comparison.