Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

Any?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

It all depends on Jacksonville IMO. If Doss or LQW has a killer game, and JJ drops a bunch of balls, then I think there's more of a chance of that happening. However, even though Williams has shown that he does belong on this roster, and arguably has made him self the #4 receiver for now, those drops were concerning. Jacoby Jones gives you that 50 % chance of making a huge play. We will see.

Blog Entries

That just goes to show you how much farther this offense has to go. It would be nice to have a third outside option that can hold onto the football. Torrey is playing with much more confidence, catching with his hands and running various routes he did not run last year. Boldin seems to be looking good in the slot. If Pitta comes back, Joe will have his reliable TE back.

Jones worries me and I'm not sure if LaQuan is really ready for that spot yet. I don't know man. I just don't know.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That just goes to show you how much farther this offense has to go. It would be nice to have a third outside option that can hold onto the football. Torrey is playing with much more confidence, catching with his hands and running various routes he did not run last year. Boldin seems to be looking good in the slot. If Pitta comes back, Joe will have his reliable TE back.

Jones worries me and I'm not sure if LaQuan is really ready for that spot yet. I don't know man. I just don't know.
    I honestly believe that had Tandon Doss not spent half of TC hurt, he would have nailed at least the #4 receiver spot by now, and possibly even the #3 spot.

I feel like there's a very real possibility LaQuan winds up with that role...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

The drops are frustrating all around. Especially, on a team where passing the ball has been an afterthought. On a team where you are throwing the ball forty times a game, you have more of a chance to overcome a dropped pass. This offense is different and those dropped passes have more of an impact.

However, I guess I have less patience with Jacoby Jones, because this has been his story since he has been in the league. LaQuan has room to improve, but I have more patience for him, because I see abilities in him that I have not seen in Jones. Jones is the faster player, but really does not play to his size and while drops were an issue for LaQuan last year, he was only a rookie. Seeing him improve in that area, this year, leads me to believe that the issue was focus and slowing the game down. I don't know, I really don't have an answer. I am just rambling right now.

I'm hoping that Doss and Deonte get some time with Joe this week. At least see what they have since its pretty clear what the rest can do.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

I'll read some tea leaves. but my guess is that either Williams or Jones has to show something more In pre-season or its going to be Doss.

Y'all who go to games should wear this, shirts that repeat this. CATCH THE DAMN BALL. We have a Super Bowl QB, a top five guy....if none of these guys work out Ozzie going to have to sell the farm and get another WR.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I feel like there's a very real possibility LaQuan winds up with that role...

- C -
    I agree.

He's really been impressive this off-season and he and Flacco look like they have a lot more chemistry than some of the other receivers.

Plus, LaQuan looks faster than he did last year. Maybe he worked on speed training this off-season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Jones has that spot locked up. The last interview I heard with Flacco he spoke about an offense of Torrey and Jacoby deep with Boldin underneath. I doubt he was just saying that. When they brought in Jacoby Jones that's what they were thinking of.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Jones has that spot locked up. The last interview I heard with Flacco he spoke about an offense of Torrey and Jacoby deep with Boldin underneath. I doubt he was just saying that. When they brought in Jacoby Jones that's what they were thinking of.
    Of course they were, but if Jacoby can't make those critical 3rd down catches that hit him right in the hands, then he won't be out on the field for very long.

Last year with Torrey having the dropsies early on they didn't really have much of a choice. Now with LaQuan, Deonte (and hopefully Doss) all vying for playing time they will actually have a choice.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

God I hate this Jacoby Jones signing more and more every day.

They're gonna stick him in there because he's a vet and they went out and got him and therefore he is automatically superior to the guys who by all appearances look either superior or, at the least, more promising, than him.

We've already seen we have some return guys here on hand, so we won't need him for that. Rainey, Asa, Deonte... I'm fine with any of them back there.

I look at Deonte Thompson and I see a guy who frankly looks more like the genuine article than Torrey did at this same point last season. We were killing Torrey on here after 2 preseason games. And look what he did, when he got a chance.

Ravens need to let these kids play, see what they can do. I like the potential.

Journeyman retread skill position players are a formula for mediocrity. Jones is Houshmandzadeh 3.0. (Lee Evans was Houshmandzadeh 2.0). Housh and Evans both ended Ravens seasons with dropped passes. So here comes Jones to take on the role of "designated crappy veteran retread receiver" with his great history of..... dropped passes.

And you know who's going to have the least coverage on him when it's 4th-and-Ballgame in the playoffs next year? Yeah, Jacoby Freaking I Can't Catch the Goddamn Ball Jones.

Damn almighty .... will somebody out of these kid receivers PLEASE rise up this week and blast Jones's ass off the depth chart and back onto the scrap heap where he came from? NOW before he kills us!??!?!?!?

I don't ask much... but PLEASE one of you guys, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!! For all of our sakes! Do it for Ed! Do it for Ray! Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!