Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    Actually more truth to that than stated. Ask the waiter next time if they see that whole 15%.

That's not what ASB was saying.

The tipping system is simply our custom, just as its the custom in Europe to pay servers hourly. In Europe, the cost of eating and drinking out is higher than here but you tip less. Both systems work.

Our custom of tipping is not because of some lobby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Don't know how this got spun into a tipping discussion, but personally I HATE when places automatically charge for the tip. Yeah I get so some person doesn't get stiffed. But if the service sucks you're stuck. Now me being a asshole that I am called the manager over on more than one occasion and politely told him the service sucked and they can take off the gratuity or I'll gladly walk out on the whole tab. But still, shouldn't even have to come to that.

As for tipping I do the usual 3x the tax amount, makes the math easier lol, that's 18% in this shitty state. If they were really good I'll add a few bucks on top.

Now some places, like recently I took a Carnival cruise. For anyone who's ever been on a cruise before you know they add 18% to your bill for every single drink. Now I got rather chummy with the poolside bartender, as I was there constantly! lol hey it's vacation. And found out the bartenders don't actually see that whole amount. So that night which was the 3rd night in I slipped him 60 bucks. Than 2 nights later another 100. Sorry but the guy worked the busiest bar on the whole ship and busted his ass. Knew me not only by name, but also my number he had to punch into the computer to bill my tab. And a lot of other people I saw he remembered them too. I've bartended before and dude was hands down one of the best I've seen at taking care of customers and getting drinks out quickly and well made.
    I went on a Royal Carribbean cruise years ago and we were told to tip at the end of the week. I gave envelopes to the head waiter and his assistants in the main dining room
    and envelopes to the guys who cleaned the cabin and envelopes to the bar tenders at
    the pool. I only drink soda and got a $25 soda card when I boarded the ship but tipped
    at the end of the week. Everyone seemed satisfied.

The bar tenders at Half Pints in Bel Air ring a big bell when someone over tips and they
    always ring the bell when I tip them. My favorite bar tender in Chillis was fired because
    she made a mistake on the bill and the couple wrote their headquarters about it. She
    made a mistake and corrected it. She was there a long time and her managers didn't
    want to fire her but were told to by top Chillis officials. They take those complaints
    seriously but they didn't have to fire the girl.

Good point about the coins. I'm always carrying about $2 in change in my pocket
    and asked the bar tender in Batemen's last night if she'd take them plus the bills and she said sure.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-16-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I went on a Royal Carribbean cruise years ago and we were told to tip at the end of the week. I gave envelopes to the head waiter and his assistants in the main dining room
    and envelopes to the guys who cleaned the cabin and envelopes to the bar tenders at
    the pool. I only drink soda and got a $25 soda card when I boarded the ship but tipped
    at the end of the week. Everyone seemed satisfied.

The bar tenders at Half Pints in Bel Air ring a big bell when someone over tips and they
    always ring the bell when I tip them. My favorite bar tender in Chillis was fired because
    she made a mistake on the bill and the couple wrote their headquarters about it. She
    made a mistake and corrected it. She was there a long time and her managers didn't
    want to fire her but were told to by top Chillis officials. They take those complaints
    seriously but they didn't have to fire the girl.

Good point about the coins. I'm always carrying about $2 in change in my pocket
    and asked the bar tender in Batemen's last night if she'd take them plus the bills and she said sure.
    Carnival does something similar. You can add gratuities onto your bill, for the people that clean the rooms and so on. But for drinks they also charg you 18%. Now tey do have a all you can drink for $50 a day and you have to pay for the whole trip, and they cut you off at 15 drinks in a 24 hour period. Luckily my girl doesn't drink that much so I had her card also lol.

Let's circle back on topic here ...

Speaking of cruises, my wife used to work at a law firm in Houston and some of the senior partners have Texans as clients.

She's heard stories of players, once they signed their big deals, would charter boats to Atlantis for all their friends, family, hangers on, etc.

Keep in mind, this is during the off season so the excursion is financed until the league year starts and they actually start getting paid.

So once they start seeing the money, they're paying a huge portion of it toward the debt they racked up in the off season.

Let's circle back on topic here ...

Speaking of cruises, my wife used to work at a law firm in Houston and some of the senior partners have Texans as clients.

She's heard stories of players, once they signed their big deals, would charter boats to Atlantis for all their friends, family, hangers on, etc.

Keep in mind, this is during the off season so the excursion is financed until the league year starts and they actually start getting paid.

So once they start seeing the money, they're paying a huge portion of it toward the debt they racked up in the off season.
    Do they only get paid weekly during the season? Even on a 5 yr contract?

Blog Entries

Ravens #1 pick rookie Travis Taylor showed up in camp the first day in an expensive sports car. Goose just looked at him and laughed and said just because he can afford a big car doesn't mean he can play football. Goose was on to something because TT was a big bust.

Anyway, TT said he wanted to get his shopping over before camp so he could concentrate on football. The Agents give players their credit cards and say do your spending now and then take it out of their paychecks when they get paid. TT spent thousands on cars, jewelry
    for his wife and clothes and a new house.

We all heard the story of DEZ who was sued for not paying the debt on the jewelry he got on credit. Even his agent was sued. In case you didn't here's the link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=6269847

Hartwell left the Ravens for big money but filed for bankruptcy and foreclosed on his
    $2M beach front estate and his wife split. Ed loved going down to OC on Rave
    weekend with all the fans. Here's photo of him with his wife.

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2...-from-husband/

Speaking of Goose, he showed up in camp in his helicopter and landed it amongst
    great fan fare on or near the practice field so everyone could see him. Everyone
    laughed but Billick just shook his head-lol.

Hard Knocks showed him in his chopper going to OC when they had couple of days off.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-16-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Do they only get paid weekly during the season? Even on a 5 yr contract?
    Unless its specifically written in the contract such as incentives, bonuses for OTA attendance, etc players don't get paid during the off season.

Their salaries are spread out over the length of the regular season on a per game basis.

Blog Entries

Here's a good answer on OTAs. Rookies and players don't get paid for OTAs but they don't go hungry or sleep in their cars. Teams reserve blocks of hotel rooms for them to stay in and feed them. The Arizona Cardinals rent dorms at a local college for their players.

The Castle has a nice cafeteria and all the food is free for everyone that works in the
    building - players, secretaries, everyone. Bisciotti pays for it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4230901AAOw3vq

it wasnt even his receipt was it? looks like it was a rappers'...then again i dont do the twitter/instagram stuff so maybe im confused

Unless its specifically written in the contract such as incentives, bonuses for OTA attendance, etc players don't get paid during the off season.

Their salaries are spread out over the length of the regular season on a per game basis.
    id hate that. I'd rather have it split over a calendar year, you'd better manage money that way, less more often

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    id hate that. I'd rather have it split over a calendar year, you'd better manage money that way, less more often
    Agreed.

But it would need to be written into the CBA for it to go into effect.

A lot of ball players get in trouble this way. They don't plan for the off season and then go to these predatory lenders for off season, high rate loans to get by.

If you have access to it, watch ESPN's documentary "Broke". They go into this in detail.