Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Hard to feel sorry for these guys. They get a free education. Why not take advantage of it and learn something while they are there. Maybe a financial planning class. It's really simple. Invest in your future. If you have enough money left to live a lavish life syle, go for it. You earned it.

As for tipping I have a basic rule of thumb. 15% minimum, up to 20% depending on service. As for service charges, shouldn't that be part of the gratuity? I mean what kind of service are we talking about here? Back room hugs and lap dances? lol
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

What is the etiquette regarding tipping if you go to a place that has a buffet lunch? You are getting your own food, but there are people who go around and clear plates, etc. I always tip at least 15% if the service is good at a regular restaurant, but was caught a bit off guard recently when we went to a place for a buffet lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Not necessarily, because those people are protected by minimum wage law. However, because it is assumed by the Fed that service industry folks will make tips, they are allowed to be paid only $2.13/hour. So if you DON'T get tips, you make about $85 for a 40 hour workweek.

Interesting piece here. Not saying one should support the cause, but this part is shocking:

And by the way, yes I do tip the guys at the car wash. We tip a lot in this country.
    didnt know that now, our minimum wage is universal here, so we don't have a etiquette to tip.

S you would pay x amt for steak and the y amount of tip to cover staff wages, yet over here we would just pay x for the steak. Or would your food be cheaper?

Surely the employer should be covering wages and that minimum wage should be universal, abolish tipping and leave it entirely up to the customers own choice. Would that not make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    What is the etiquette regarding tipping if you go to a place that has a buffet lunch? You are getting your own food, but there are people who go around and clear plates, etc. I always tip at least 15% if the service is good at a regular restaurant, but was caught a bit off guard recently when we went to a place for a buffet lunch.
    I usually just hand the bus boy a couple bucks directly since he's the only one actually doing anything, one time I left it on the table and on my way out saw the hostess pick it up and leave our dishes for the bus.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post

Surely the employer should be covering wages and that minimum wage should be universal, abolish tipping and leave it entirely up to the customers own choice. Would that not make sense?
    I am all for that. That way, if we want to tip we can actually decide if they deserve it, not just feel obligated. Don't force it on us because you don't want to be responsible for compensating your employees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJw...e_gdata_player
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I am all for that. That way, if we want to tip we can actually decide if they deserve it, not just feel obligated. Don't force it on us because you don't want to be responsible for compensating your employees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJw...e_gdata_player
    thats the way it is here and it just seems common sense

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    thats the way it is here and it just seems common sense
    Unfortunately the food and entertainment lobby is very powerful and they are bound and determined to keep the burden of compensation on us instead of themselves.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I usually just hand the bus boy a couple bucks directly since he's the only one actually doing anything, one time I left it on the table and on my way out saw the hostess pick it up and leave our dishes for the bus.
    That happens too often. Did you call her out on the act?

Quote Originally Posted by walkingpneumonia View Post
    Not to be a dick but --- if I order a $15,000 bottle of wine vs a $300 bottle of wine what should my tip be? The level of service is presumably the same. I would guess that a waitress who is entrusted to bring a $15,000 bottle of wine isn't being paid minimum wage and I doubt that the waitress with the $300 bottle of wine is either. There are some rules of thumb that don't scale. I don't know where the scale should stop but I do think that ridiculing a $1300 tip because you give 25% on your $80 bar bill is sort of ridiculous. Is the service that much better? And aren't you favoring the more privileged waiter/waitress over the harder working one.
    It really pays to be a waiter at a posh restaurant as opposed to a Denny's.

Blog Entries

Don't know how this got spun into a tipping discussion, but personally I HATE when places automatically charge for the tip. Yeah I get so some person doesn't get stiffed. But if the service sucks you're stuck. Now me being a asshole that I am called the manager over on more than one occasion and politely told him the service sucked and they can take off the gratuity or I'll gladly walk out on the whole tab. But still, shouldn't even have to come to that.

As for tipping I do the usual 3x the tax amount, makes the math easier lol, that's 18% in this shitty state. If they were really good I'll add a few bucks on top.

Now some places, like recently I took a Carnival cruise. For anyone who's ever been on a cruise before you know they add 18% to your bill for every single drink. Now I got rather chummy with the poolside bartender, as I was there constantly! lol hey it's vacation. And found out the bartenders don't actually see that whole amount. So that night which was the 3rd night in I slipped him 60 bucks. Than 2 nights later another 100. Sorry but the guy worked the busiest bar on the whole ship and busted his ass. Knew me not only by name, but also my number he had to punch into the computer to bill my tab. And a lot of other people I saw he remembered them too. I've bartended before and dude was hands down one of the best I've seen at taking care of customers and getting drinks out quickly and well made.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It really pays to be a waiter at a posh restaurant as opposed to a Denny's.
    Yes and no. The tips might be bigger, but if not busy enough at that posh restaurant and you can turn and burn tables at Denny's and make more money. I used to work at a chain family restaurant and made more money than some people working at fine dining. It doesn't always work out that way, but sometimes it does.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Unfortunately the food and entertainment lobby is very powerful and they are bound and determined to keep the burden of compensation on us instead of themselves.
    This is a joke, right?