Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Ravens and AD Far Apart On Deal

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Well...if you and Drew both said it, then I guess you're right.

Of course, you and Drew probably also said Jamal Lewis, Chris McAlister, etc wouldn't be back.
    I don't recall Drew saying McAlister wouldn't be back, ever. If you are talking about when McAlister was franchised, I'm pretty sure the consensus on the NST morning show was that he would be franchised.

AD cannot be 'replaced' exactly by anyone. He can play any defensive position on the field.

But his absence would not be crippling. We had a great defense before he was a starter, if he leaves, it will still be great.

It is a question of the future of the team, $$$ and the cap, not a question of how important he is to the current scheme of the defense. The schemes on both sides of the ball will change to match to our new personnel next year, whoever they may be, and whatever position they will be playing.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Well...if you and Drew both said it, then I guess you're right.

Of course, you and Drew probably also said Jamal Lewis, Chris McAlister, etc wouldn't be back.

And stop with this "Ray elevates the play of everyone" crap. Maybe a few years ago in 2000, sure. Not anymore. These are professional athletes they don't need a player who performs less than they do to motivate them. I promise you, that is the most trite and overly used inaccurate statement.

1. I never said CMAC won't be back. This thread is about AD and not CMAC.

2. What I said is that AD won't be back.

3. You may think Ray is the lesser player than AD, and you are entitled to that point of view, but even if you are correct, AD, "the better player," will be playing for another team in 2007. Get used to it.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

PurpleRulz you sound very certain on something that I wouldn't be very certain about.

PurpleRulz you sound very certain on something that I wouldn't be very certain about.
    RavensNTerps, PR's argument is based on $$$.

AD wants it, the Ravens can't afford to give it to him. If they franchised him it would be burdensome on their efforts to sign everyone else they have to sign.

It's a persuasive argument, even if you don't agree, and it's based on facts and numbers.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

if they want to do it, they can.

There's always ways to work around the cap.

We heard the same ole crap about Reed's extension.

We hear the crap with the Redskins every year.

If the Ravens want to re-sign him, they'll be able to.

if they want to do it, they can.

There's always ways to work around the cap.

We heard the same ole crap about Reed's extension.

We hear the crap with the Redskins every year.

If the Ravens want to re-sign him, they'll be able to.
    RavensNTerps you sound very certain on something that I wouldn't be very certain about.
    Festivus

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    1. Just stop with the trade Ray crap. It ain't happening so stop talking about it.

2. AD does deserve his money, but he won't get it here. The only way AD stays is if he takes at or below market rate. Anything above that and he will be a former Raven.

3. I think the Ravens should give thought to a tag and trade of AD. Even if all we gain is a 2nd round pick, that is much better than a 3rd round compensatory pick at the end of the round in the 2008 draft. If I were Ozzie, I would get very creative with this and not just let AD walk.
    I totally agree with this post. It really hurts when you lose a good player, but the NFL is designed with parity, and no team can have 40 super star players. You have to pick and choose 3-5 high priced ones and the rest, you hope, are above average, no-name guys. How do you think New England stays competitive each year? They have Tom Brady and Willie McGinist and that's about it for the high priced guys.

I am glad that Ozzie Newsome is the type of personality that he is. He is going to approach this situation very logically, very methodically, as it pertains to the future welfare and financial stability of this team. That's why the draft is so important. You draft well, develop players, keep a few which you build a team around, and the rest, you let go. Then you begin the cycle again. Sad, but true. There are choices to be made. A classic example of this was Priest Holmes, Casey Robach, Ed Hartwell, etc.

At the same time, I don't begrudge A.D. He knows this better than anybody and this is his one and only chance to reach the top of the mountain financially. The problem with the franchise tag is that he could get hurt next year or have some nagging injury and then his market value would really sink.
    The Ravens have too much class to stand in anybody's way.

I like A.D., too. However, I am a realist and know all teams go through this cycle.

Losing AD brings me no more joy than the next fan, but as stated already, reality is reality. AD should and will do what is best for AD and his family and go make his money. I wish him the best. Our defense will miss him, but our defense will still be dominant and who knows what the NEXT MAN UP will do.

1. Before AD became AD he was just a special teams ace. For all we know, Mike Smith, Jarrett Johnson, hell even Gary Stills could be the NEXT BIG THING. There always seem to be one sitting on our bench (i.e. Bart Scott). Also, who knows what the draft will bring. Our organization can seem to find a super gem in the craziest places. This is why, while I'll miss AD, I am not worried about our defense. Watch, there is someone on the bench and/or from the draft that will be the NEXT BIG THING. They may not be as uniqiue as AD (or they may be), but they will impact this defense in their own way.

2. Another thing is I would rather us put some focus on offense this offseason. You don't need as great a defense as ours (althought it is still great without AD) to win the SB, but you need alot more offense than we have to win the SB. (Hypo) If Ozzie called you and said make a choice: 7-8M in cap space on AD or Michael Turner, who would you take? My choice would be Michael Turner everyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    I totally agree with this post. It really hurts when you lose a good player, but the NFL is designed with parity, and no team can have 40 super star players. You have to pick and choose 3-5 high priced ones and the rest, you hope, are above average, no-name guys. How do you think New England stays competitive each year? They have Tom Brady and Willie McGinist and that's about it for the high priced guys.

I am glad that Ozzie Newsome is the type of personality that he is. He is going to approach this situation very logically, very methodically, as it pertains to the future welfare and financial stability of this team. That's why the draft is so important. You draft well, develop players, keep a few which you build a team around, and the rest, you let go. Then you begin the cycle again. Sad, but true. There are choices to be made. A classic example of this was Priest Holmes, Casey Robach, Ed Hartwell, etc.

At the same time, I don't begrudge A.D. He knows this better than anybody and this is his one and only chance to reach the top of the mountain financially. The problem with the franchise tag is that he could get hurt next year or have some nagging injury and then his market value would really sink.
    The Ravens have too much class to stand in anybody's way.

I like A.D., too. However, I am a realist and know all teams go through this cycle.

Wrong.Teams that dont know how to manage the cap go through this cycle.Everyone thinks that since we blew the team up in 02 that it somehow is just a given that every 4-5 years or so that we have to do so.We are not the Redskins,and we arent pressed every year to cut players and restructure contracts just to sign draft picks,much less one FA.

Aaron is on the radio right now,and just stated the Ravens are willing to give AD a 10-12 million bonus,and that AD isnt going for it.He then said AGAIN,that AD will be franchised.

I have a question for those who say "the numbers just dont add up,we dont have the money"

I want you to lay out the 53 man roster for 07',including all players we have drafted,their signing bonuses and cap numbers as well.I also would like you to look into your crystal ball and tell me who the Ravens are planning on releasing and how much money it is going to save us,and conversely which FA we are going to retain,their contract structure and cap numbers as well.

The point is unless you have the answers to all these questions,(which you dont) you have no basis in which to make these claims that "we dont have the money".There all probably only a handful of people who know the answers to these question,and Im pretty sure you arent one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Losing AD brings me no more joy than the next fan, but as stated already, reality is reality. AD should and will do what is best for AD and his family and go make his money. I wish him the best. Our defense will miss him, but our defense will still be dominant and who knows what the NEXT MAN UP will do.

1. Before AD became AD he was just a special teams ace. For all we know, Mike Smith, Jarrett Johnson, hell even Gary Stills could be the NEXT BIG THING. There always seem to be one sitting on our bench (i.e. Bart Scott). Also, who knows what the draft will bring. Our organization can seem to find a super gem in the craziest places. This is why, while I'll miss AD, I am not worried about our defense. Watch, there is someone on the bench and/or from the draft that will be the NEXT BIG THING. They may not be as uniqiue as AD (or they may be), but they will impact this defense in their own way.

2. Another thing is I would rather us put some focus on offense this offseason. You don't need as great a defense as ours (althought it is still great without AD) to win the SB, but you need alot more offense than we have to win the SB. (Hypo) If Ozzie called you and said make a choice: 7-8M in cap space on AD or Michael Turner, who would you take? My choice would be Michael Turner everyday of the week.

Before AD became AD he was who cares?? Before Terrell Owens became TO he was some 4th round pick from bumbleton Tennessee who was at best 3rd on the depth chart behind Rice and JJ friggin Stokes.

Before Michael Strahan was Michael Strahan he was almost out of a job (until he switched sides on the DL).

I dont' care what AD did before he was a tremendous player. What he does NOW is unparrelleled in the NFL. The closest you can come is Julian Peterson.

AD will be back next season, bank on it. Whether it be by tag or other.

Before AD became AD he was who cares?? Before Terrell Owens became TO he was some 4th round pick from bumbleton Tennessee who was at best 3rd on the depth chart behind Rice and JJ friggin Stokes.

Before Michael Strahan was Michael Strahan he was almost out of a job (until he switched sides on the DL).

I dont' care what AD did before he was a tremendous player. What he does NOW is unparrelleled in the NFL. The closest you can come is Julian Peterson.

I think there should be some kind of friendly wager on this.

Keep the offseason interesting.

PP

Okay, the point went right over your head. First, there is no such word as "unparrelleled." Also, some argue that AD is a product of our great defensive system. Losing AD will hurt a little, but there is someone sitting on the bench waiting to step in and take his spot. That person may not have his impact (or maybe they will), but just as we developed AD's talent, we will develop another talent to step in and bring his unique talent to our defensive system.

You are just so in bed with AD that you are being shortsighted to any other possibilities.
    Last edited by PurpleRulz; 01-27-2007 at 08:53 PM.