Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did Miami ownership/management set the team up to fail in order to be last and get Barkley

Did Miami ownership/management set the Dolphins up for failure in order to finish last - with the worst record - in order to get the first draft pick next year - and therefore Matt Barkley (next year's Andrew Luck)

Why else would they get rid of Brandon Marshall and Votae Davis.

I always laugh at these conspiracy theories. Folks made the same claim with the Colts.

You really think its a possibility to get 53 men, a good number of whom will be looking to play on other teams next season, to simply lay down for a chance at a draft pick?

Really?

Re: Did Miami ownership/management set the team up to fail in order to be last and get Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I always laugh at these conspiracy theories. Folks made the same claim with the Colts.

You really think its a possibility to get 53 men, a good number of whom will be looking to play on other teams next season, to simply lay down for a chance at a draft pick?

Really?
    Well there is a difference between telling/getting your players to tank and making moves (with roster or depth chart) that decrease your odds of winning.

I think in this case the accusation is that the team dumped a lot of its talent so that the less talented team has a greater chance of finishing last. That said, I don't agree with it, it would never be proven, and as you implied, it doesn't guarantee a last place finish (as the guys on the field, even if less talented, will be trying to win every game).

Oh I agree they've punted the season and dumped talent.

But I don't think they're doing it for a draft pick. I think it obvious from Hard Knocks they are doing a total shift in philosophies on both sides of the ball.

Re: Did Miami ownership/management set the team up to fail in order to be last and get Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Oh I agree they've punted the season and dumped talent.

But I don't think they're doing it for a draft pick. I think it obvious from Hard Knocks they are doing a total shift in philosophies on both sides of the ball.
    I agree.

Blog Entries

They don't want any head cases on that team anymore. That's what I think is behind the moves including cutting CJ. But yes, they have a shot at being the worse team in the league; we won't know until they play the games

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

This is a stupid theory, they invested their 8th overall pick into Ryan Tannehill this year, why the hell would they tank the season to use the number 1 pick on another QB?

I think they may be thinking that they are not interested in competing this year, and are going to build through the draft next year, and maybe bring in some FA options. But they are not tanking the season, they are going to do their best with what they have, but they are most certainly rebuilding right now.

Blog Entries

They knew before last years draft that Barkley would be available in the next draft and they reached for and drafted a QB anyway. If they really wanted to tank they wouldn't have taken Tannehill in the top 10.

Maybe the Dolphins are getting rid of malcontents. We all know Brandon Marshall has a history of problems. And Davis isn't a saint either.

A new coach looking for his type of guys and knew that they were more than a year away from competing. That's all I see.

Blog Entries

Outside of RGIII these rookie QBs look lost. Miami aint going no where anytime soon.

Plus, winning this years "suck for luck" competition is no guarantee that you wouldn't end up with a bust.

Blog Entries

I definitely think that the owner had a lot of influence in getting Tannehill. He's clearly not a Philbin kind of player. If it was up to Philbin he'd have a vet in until he could get Pat Devlin ready. They were even calling Devlin 'Romo' in the last episode of Hard Knocks. That's the price you pay when you work for a crap owner.