Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Brian Billick employed again ???

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Here's my issue with what you are saying Houston.

You seem to think that if the HC goes to Ozzie and asks for a player that Ozzie is gonna do whatever he can to get that player.

I totally disagree with that.

IMO he takes that under advisement and that's it.

He will sit down with his personnel guys and go over every player they have an interest in and set the board.

The HC of a NFL team spends the majority of his time concentrating on coaching the team etc...

All that time he's doing that, the scouts and Ozzie are scouring over hours of film determining what guys they wanna target.

Ozzie isn't gonna throw that out the window just because the HC or any other coach says he wants a particular player.

PP
    OK, I see your point now and I think we do agree actually.

I was taking it as an assumption all the film viewing, reports, etc were taken for granted in our discussion. I guess it parcing words, but I dont think Ozzie would say the actual words "I will take it under advisement". That smacks of a lack of a partnership between the GM and the coach, which I dont think happened with Oz and Billick.

I agree with you 100% (for once)!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    I guess it parcing words, but I dont think Ozzie would say the actual words "I will take it under advisement". That smacks of a lack of a partnership between the GM and the coach, which I dont think happened with Oz and Billick.
    This debate really has turned into a wordsmithing exercise. I think we all agree that Billick had input, and that he and Ozzie worked well together, but that Billick did not have "the biggest say" as you (Houston) said earlier in the thread. Yes, Billick had input, but not the final word.

Let's put this issue to bed and find something else to politely bicker about.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    This debate really has turned into a wordsmithing exercise. I think we all agree that Billick had input, and that he and Ozzie worked well together, but that Billick did not have "the biggest say" as you (Houston) said earlier in the thread. Yes, Billick had input, but not the final word.

Let's put this issue to bed and find something else to politely bicker about.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I didnt back off of anything. Go back and re-read my posts since getting to these boards and I have said the same thing.
    Sure thing! I will.

I read this:
    Billick loved the Pac-10 and was very into Boller's future when he was at Cal. That's not some big secret. Ngata was "hand picked" by Billick too -- meaning he pushed for him to get signed.
    and this:
    Of course not. I do say he (and now Harbaugh) has strong input. If he or Harbaugh go to Ozzie and says they want Joe Schmo, Ozzie will do what he can to make it happen.
    (emphasis added by me)

and in the same post

Yes, Ozzie has final say. That's the job of the GM. But he doesnt ship people to the coach that the coach doesnt want either.
    which is why I responded

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    You keep making it sound like Ozzie is some kind of waiter taking orders from his coaches.
    To which you restated your position thusly:

No. I didnt even suggest that. It's not an either / or proposition. Yes, Billick is the coach and has input. Yes, Ozzzie has the final say. ALL NFL teams rely on a coaches input on selecting people -- Im not saying nothing more or nothing less.
    Ok, now I read them together, and so has everyone else. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

There was a time I was much less combative on this forum. I miss those days. *sigh*
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Sure thing! I will.

I read this:

and this:
    (emphasis added by me)

and in the same post

which is why I responded

To which you restated your position thusly:

Ok, now I read them together, and so has everyone else. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

There was a time I was much less combative on this forum. I miss those days. *sigh*
    Decaf. Really. :grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by festivus
    Sack up, festivus! You are not being combative! Besides, a little debate is healthy, and neither you nor Houston has gone out of bounds (so far).

Houston (can I call you Houston?), your position on this topic has been a bit of a moving target to my eyes, but as I said before, I think we are splitting hairs with our choice of words. I think we're actually all pretty much on the same page, so enough of :girlfight

Decaf. Really. :grbac:
    Oh I am SO sorry to disappoint you Houston.

For your information, this is what we call an ad hominem attack. Which means you are changing the subject from our debate to *me*.

Fine, fine. As I said, the readers can decide for themselves. I was just reading posts, like you suggested.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Oh I am SO sorry to disappoint you Houston.

For your information, this is what we call an ad hominem attack. Which means you are changing the subject from our debate to *me*.

Fine, fine. As I said, the readers can decide for themselves. I was just reading posts, like you suggested.
    yeah decaf .... read what HW said. Nothing personal in anything I've said.

Relax.

We know dang well I don't have any input, or we'd have the best offensive line in the NFL!

Ok, y'all go back to arguing.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

yeah decaf .... read what HW said. Nothing personal in anything I've said.

Relax.
    I didn't take anything personally, and I *did* read what Highwater said. Once again we read the same thing and interpreted it differently.

I am relaxed, thanks for your concern. I'm just not giving in. It's different.
    Festivus

I understand it that Billick gets the whole $15 mil unless he gets a HC gig. If he gets a network gig, he still gets the $15 mil.

that's going to be one hell of a country house he's building in St. Michaels!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello