Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I still want this to happen, I want another Middle Linebacker

I'm on board with a Swearinger pick at #32, or slightly later if Ravens can move back
    And the Beatdown goes on.......

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    He's either 3 or 4...Vaccaro is clearly #1, then you've got Cyprien as the majority #2, then Elam and Swearinger. I've seen Swearinger going in the later part of Round 2 in most mocks.
    If that's the order they stat to go in, I actually like Reid at SS now that Pollard is gone. IF we could get him near the back of the third that's good value.

Blog Entries

I'll trade back and take Cyprien and Minter in the second round.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I think they will take DeAndre Hopkins

Ngata_Chance Guest

We just picked up a more talented Te'o by nabbing McClain in FA. They are very close to the same age, McClain is faster, a better blitzer, and plays the run very well. Drafting te'o we would almost have two of the same LB's with the exception of Te'o being slower. I would rather wait until round 3 to grab Jon Bostic or round 4 for Nico Johnson.

As to the first two rounds I know it is an unpopular notion but I would rather grab 2 WR's with out first 2 picks. If we could trade back and get Deandre Hopkins and Da'Rick Rogers I would be ecstatic. We give Flacco the keys to the franchise and he has one familiar weapon at WR. Give him 3 good WR's and then leave the 4th to Streeter/ Thompson. I dont see Doss or Reed ever doing anything. Give him 3 young premier WR's with a 4th guy who can take over a game in the slot with Pitta over the middle and that is a ferocious 2 minute drill.

There are some good late round safety prospects in the draft and there is one who is gong to be available in the 5th or 6th (maybe later) I would take over any safety in this draft.

I hate Swearinger with a passion. If we draft him before round 4 it will be a tremendous reach. As far as ILB goes I'd be fine at this point waiting until the middle rounds or even picking up a UDFA. The only ones I think have value in the first two rounds are Ogletree and Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    If we draft him before round 4 it will be a tremendous reach.
    Pretty sure there are 32 front offices who disagree with you there.

Ngata_Chance Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Pretty sure there are 32 front offices who disagree with you there.
    That does not mean they are right about Swearinger. There are prospects you could have after him who have a better chance at success. He is a middle of the road guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    I hate Swearinger with a passion. If we draft him before round 4 it will be a tremendous reach. As far as ILB goes I'd be fine at this point waiting until the middle rounds or even picking up a UDFA. The only ones I think have value in the first two rounds are Ogletree and Brown.
    Swearinger just isn't all that good at much of anything. When playing close to the line of scrimmage or directly over a receiver he can get a jam, but his hips are too stiff to flip and run downfield. He is also "too" physical--bad tackling technique that will lead to penalties and bounce-offs--and tends to make up for poor instincts with overcommitment.

When playing deep he just doesn't have enough range or change of direction to consistently defend even half the field much less play centerfielder. That's an athletic/physical limitation. I just don't think Swearinger will be special in the NFL although he's capable enough to fetch a 4th round selection or so.

Josh Norris' list is cute--he's still trying to make a name for himself by going out on a limb with rankings--but he's got Phillip Thomas and Matt Elam WAY too low and JJ Wilcox/Shamarko Thomas way too high IMO. It is good to see him give my man Earl Wolff a little love, though--I like him a lot in the 4th for us. Versatile, capable all-around player who really hits hard for his size and has experience in an NFL-style defense.

I doubt it. Because this draft is a little weak talent wise he will probably go higher than that, but mid to late 2nd is probably the best he can hope for. Luckily we have some of the best scouts in the business so we can let some other team reach on Swearinger.

Edit: meant to quote LukeDaniel but this phone is a piece of shit.

I think Shamarko Thomas is about right, Philip Thomas a little too low and Matt Elam Way too low.

Swearinger is a Bernard Pollard clone.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Ngata_Chance Guest

So many people have forgotten about Ray Ray Armstrong it is a little disheartening. Last year he would have been the unquestioned number one safety in the draft. Thanks to that Miami scandal he will be lucky to get drafted. Yes a year from football could hurt him, but considering he just ran a 4.4 at his pro day I would say he has been working diligently and it wont take long before he regains form. At 6'3" 220 and a 4.4 he has drawn comparisons to Sean Taylor in his play style. I would take him over Swearing and in 3 years over any Safety in this draft. He has the potential to be the steal of the draft and could turn into a beast.