Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Thur Night Opener - Who do you want to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    We won't get a Thursday opener in any case, the Orioles are already scheduled for a home game on 9/5 and 9/12.
    Wow...you are right.

Opening Thursday is September 5th. Orioles scheduled to be at home versus the White Sox.

I know we are ahead of ourselves here....but I wonder if the NFL could get the MLB to make a schedule adjustment?

Blog Entries

Not the Bengals. You guys are unmerciful in home night games.

It's almost all about ratings and what the most attractive possible game on opening Thursday night. My guess is it's one of these four - in order from most likely to least likely - New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Houston. I say New England first because it's becoming the new "it" rivalry in the NFL. Green Bay slightly over Pittsburgh because I think (althought I'm not sure) that the Ravens have some input and I doubt the Ravens want to open with a divisional game if they choose something else. Cincinnati or Minnesota wouldn't produce the ratings the networks want, even though they're both playoff teams. The Jets would get the desired NYC ratings but they stink so they're out. You can surely forget about Cleveland.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

This year they opened on a Wednesday in deference to Obama's keynote speech at the DNC convention, so they might move it to 9/4. Other than that we will NOT be hosting any opening night here.

As for the Orioles rescheduling, maybe. But keep in mind they would then have to monkey with the White Sox schedule and once that is done any team that monkeying messes with, etc. It could get complicated.

I think our only real shot is a Wednesday opener.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Not the Bengals. You guys are unmerciful in home night games.
    What do you mean? We pulled our starters 3/4 of the way through.

New England would be the "no brainer" here.. especially after all the drama that went along with the game and the words exchanged afterwards.

Even if by chance we don't win the SB, I still think we open in prime time on SNF and again, it'll most likely be the Pats.

When we win the Superbowl, the Thursday openner will be Green Bay at home against the Washington Redskins. The Baltimore Ravens will open on the road at Cleveland.

Why? Because the NFL is just like that when it comes to scheduling the Ravens.

They're trying to push NE/Bal as the new NE/Indy rivalry. I imagine we'd face them.

Was there any actual specified reason why the Ravens didn't get the first MNF of the 2001 season?

Or was it actually a case of the NFL just being down and out spiteful?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    Was there any actual specified reason why the Ravens didn't get the first MNF of the 2001 season?

Or was it actually a case of the NFL just being down and out spiteful?
    IIRC, the game that took over on that first Monday Night game was NYG @ Denver. The Broncs wanted to unveil their new pleasure palace, and Pat Bowlen was the head of the Broadcast Committee at the time.

Given that that game was played on 9/10/01, I sometimes wonder how many Giants fans can owe their lives to running late to work the next day.

BS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    What do you mean? We pulled our starters 3/4 of the way through.
    The Monday night game in Baltimore. Remember?

Blog Entries

well in the spirit of getting ahead of ourselves i think it will and should be the Pats! I say that ratings wise but if any of those other opponents do some sexy things in the offseason via draft and or free agency it could be that team.