Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I hope I'm being too pessimistic, but these moves bother me. A lot (two words).

Bringing in one vet TE is undoubtedly a good move. Bringing in TWO TEs very near the ends of their careers is a clear indication that:
    Dickson's injury is worse than reported, and/or
    The coaching staff does not think much of Fursty (or Juice as a TE) and/or
    The FO is in panic mode

Bringing in Stokely (37! years old?): can the coaches/FO make it any more clear that we should hesitate to use the term "good young WR corp." Stick with "young." "Good"? After years of NFL coaching and practice, they can't beat out a 37-year old.

BTW: any non-MD grads think Fursty is NFL ready? (I'm PSU/UAZ/IASU -- no dog in this hunt)
    NFL ready? Prob not, but he has some nice skills to go along with things you can't teach (6'5"/255lbs and speed/agility/leaping).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The TEs that are making this team as of right now are Dickson, Shiancoe, and Clark. I don't see where Bajema factors in any way. The only guy I think can change that makeup is Furstenburg, but again, he needs to force that change, it's not going to get handed to him like some seem to think it will.
    There is a legitimate chance that they keep a 4th TE in lieu of a 6th WR.

I'm telling you guys, look at the history of offensive personnel when Caldwell was running the offense. Almost every offense had 4 TEs on the active roster and some had a guy who was a floater between a TE and FB (Gijon Robinson for example).

Caldwell likes receiving TEs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I'm telling you guys, look at the history of offensive personnel when Caldwell was running the offense. Almost every offense had 4 TEs on the active roster and some had a guy who was a floater between a TE and FB (Gijon Robinson for example).

I do agree. Especially considering the crap on the back end of our WR pool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I do agree. Especially considering the crap on the back end of our WR pool.
    Yup.

Torrey
    Jacoby
    Stokely
    Doss
    L. Williams

Dickson
    Clark
    Shiancoe
    Furstenburg

KJ in that swing role.

Mellette to IR
    M. Brown to IR
    Thompson to IR designated to return later in the season if LaQuan blows or Doss needs to be "IRed".

Agreed. Fursty should make it barring a meltdown.

Plus seeing that terminology for this offense may have changed, I'm seeing both Stokely and Clark as liasons to the newer/younger players like player coaches. This would be definitely felt at the WR position.

4 TEs works for me. Furstenburg hanging around Clark and Shinacoe for a year would set him up for next year when both of them are likely gone. Pitta should be back then too.

Furstenburg is in the same boat as the vet TE in the aspect that we do not know what they will bring. The old vets may or may not have it any more. I am under the impression that harbaugh is going to make furstenburg earn it. I equate that with Elam being on the second team defense, I just do not see a way he isn't better then ihegibo. Smith stokely Thompson doss Williams. Jones I feel will rotate in to take the top off the defense but will mostly handle return duties. I feel that Caldwell will want 4 TE as previous posters have pointed out but I think they may still keep 6 receivers and run a collaborative offense constantly rotating subbing since the only all around receiver on the roster is Torrey. I love the signings, and I think fursty will continue to impress and will gradually earn time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    They probably wanted to see if Dickson or even Furstenberg lit it up in practice.

The real question is why they picked up Shiancoe before Clark. And I suspect Clark might have been asking for too much (because he had several suitors).

Once Dickson gets hurt and Clark cannot get anyone to pay him a decent chunk, an agreement is reached.

Or maybe Dickson's injury is worse than we thought and they're not taking any chances.
    Don't forget, NE and PIss wanted Clark too but we had Caldwell for him to re-unit
    with.

I'd be surprised if the Ravens keep Shiancoe after signing Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Ravens keep Shiancoe after signing Clark.
    It will be LJ Smith all over again.

Yup.

Thompson to IR designated to return later in the season if LaQuan blows or Doss needs to be "IRed".
    I don't think making this maneuver with Thompson makes a ton of sense. I know this is only the 2nd year with the IR-return designation, but I would imagine the Ravens would want to use that one-time distinction for a player who is more pivotal to their success. If indeed Thompson is the #5 WR and backup return guy, he doesn't carry a lot of value.

Also, keep in mind that the IR-return designation doesn't have to be used right away. The Ravens used it on Ray Lewis mid-season last year.

[QUOTE=houstonravensfan;648851
    The FO is in panic mode

[/QUOTE]

Cmon now. If there is any front office in professional sports today that panics less, I'd be intrigued to know who they are.