Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: I think Wagners going to get a shot

The more I think about it, the more I think the Ravens probably won't make more than one major O-line acquisition, simply because of the numbers. Say they draft a lineman with the first pick: That gives them four obvious starters, plus Wagner and Jensen as backups, for six guys who are almost locks to be on the roster. Put Gino and Jah in there and you've got 8.

So yeah, my guess is that they address RT in some fashion, and then roll with Gino at C unless something falls into their lap in August a la McKinnie back in 2011.

Blog Entries

Sounds about right.

I really like that kid Zack from ND. He can play tackle and guard so he's Ozzie's kind of lineman.
    Ravens can go with him at RT or move KO there and plug Zack at LG. He would be the safe pick
    there too compared to the rest available.

MONROE, KO/JENSEN/YANDA, MARTIN or
    MONROE, MARTIN, JENSEN/YANDA,KO

would be a much better and stronger line with Wagner, JAH and Gino for depth.

Don't forget, Kubes ZBS is much easier than Castillo's and easier to learn.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-17-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think the Ravens probably won't make more than one major O-line acquisition, simply because of the numbers. Say they draft a lineman with the first pick: That gives them four obvious starters, plus Wagner and Jensen as backups, for six guys who are almost locks to be on the roster. Put Gino and Jah in there and you've got 8.

So yeah, my guess is that they address RT in some fashion, and then roll with Gino at C unless something falls into their lap in August a la McKinnie back in 2011.
    Not a chance in the world Gino even gets a chance to start. They'll coach speak it but hell be the backup. They'll pick up a vet as I don't see them chancing a rookie either. Montgomery, Cook, someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I have no problem with Gradkowski or Wagner being permitted to compete for starting spots, but under no circumstances should either of them be handed starting spots. That means that the Ravens need to acquire legitimate talent at those positions. Hopefully, they will able to acquire superior players than those two.
    The problem is that the FA market doesn't have any RTs that are better than Oher was, heck a good number of them are worse. That's why I believe that Wagner has the inside track at RT.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Not a chance in the world Gino even gets a chance to start. They'll coach speak it but hell be the backup. They'll pick up a vet as I don't see them chancing a rookie either. Montgomery, Cook, someone.
    I'd rather have Martin and Gino than the Wagner/veteran center combo.

I don't think they're gonna fuck around with the O-Line anymore, I think they learned their lesson. Priority 1 was Monroe. Priority -100 was Michael Oher. I see them bringing in Alex Mack (remember Flacco and Monroe's deals are still cap-friendly this year) and then having a competition at RT between draftees. Jah Reid probably gets released, tbh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I don't think they're gonna fuck around with the O-Line anymore, I think they learned their lesson. Priority 1 was Monroe. Priority -100 was Michael Oher. I see them bringing in Alex Mack (remember Flacco and Monroe's deals are still cap-friendly this year) and then having a competition at RT between draftees. Jah Reid probably gets released, tbh.
    I don't think they pony up the bucks required for Mack. I guess it really depends on how they feel about Yanda over the next couple years. Do they pony up for Mack and use that #17 pick this year for next years RG and let Yanda walk? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    They are not signing Mack...even if they tried, Cleveland would easily match.

He's going to play out the year on the transition tag.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    They are not signing Mack...even if they tried, Cleveland would easily match.

He's going to play out the year on the transition tag.
    Keep in mind it's the Browns were talking about. They let Ward walk and made some questionable signings. So who knows if they would match it or not. I really don't see why we don't take a shot. Worst case we make the deal for Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I don't think they pony up the bucks required for Mack.
    Nor do I. I'm highly dubious of the idea that Alex Mack is somehow still in play for the Ravens, who are now down to about $9M in cap space. I realize that creative things can be done with contracts to minimize the first-year cap hit, but still. Even if the Browns are stupid enough to fail matching a possible Ravens offer, there has to be another team who could offer Mack more. And the Ravens have other holes to fill. I see somebody like Montgomery or Cooks as much more likely.

It would be great to something out of Wagner or Jensen, but we still need some serious depth.
    AQ and Jah are so very bad.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    It would be great to something out of Wagner or Jensen, but we still need some serious depth.
    AQ and Jah are so very bad.
    Jah Reid is interesting because the coaching staff obviously thought well enough of him to play him at LG for 7 games, and even if he looked like a tackle playing guard he didn't play anyway near as poorly as Shipley this past year. Yet going into 2013 he was a healthy scratch for several games and he seems to be totally out of the team's plans for the future.

I wonder if his injuries set him back or he didn't practice well in the new scheme. Either way, he looks like a bust as a 3rd round pick (that we traded up for, ugh.)