Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Roethlisberger Expected to Ask for Trade.

Old farts! Actually, I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Trading Roethlsiberger would be a win-win for both parties. Ben gets to go to a team like St. Louis or Houston, both of whom are a good QB away from being elite caliber teams, and Pittsburgh gets a great package of picks to rebuild and get better, since they're not close to competing for the next few years.

They need to find a way to dump all the old farts and move forward with a young team. This is a GREAT year to need a QB... Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, Hundley, Mettenberger, Manziel... all possible 1st rounders. After that you've got guys like Derek Carr, Aaron Murray, and AJ McCarron... all of whom might have been 1st rounders in last year's bad draft.

This is the best QB pool I've seen in all my years scouting the draft IMO. Pittsburgh could do a ton of damage with, say, 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders. They could grab a QB, a receiver to play opposite Brown, an tackle, and a DB, all of whom would likely start day 1.

I think Ben's contract will make it pretty tough to trade him. Not to mention his health. But even though the front office may have made some bad decisions with certain contracts, he can count himself among those contracts. The Steelers have made attempts to fix the O-line. Given the salary constraints, they've tried to address through the draft, albeit without the hoped for results. since 2009 they've selected several lineman, as well as WR/TE/RBs

When you consider what he lost (and Brady and Flacco and Ryan) he's doing what he can with what he has. I think it would be a mistake for them to get rid of him. But... I hope they do! :ww:

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I think Ben's contract will make it pretty tough to trade him. Not to mention his health. But even though the front office may have made some bad decisions with certain contracts, he can count himself among those contracts. The Steelers have made attempts to fix the O-line. Given the salary constraints, they've tried to address through the draft, albeit without the hoped for results. since 2009 they've selected several lineman, as well as WR/TE/RBs
    If I'm reading his contract right, they would save about $6MM by unloading him. So they could definitely trade him. The biggest benefit is that then his 2015 number would be zero instead of $17MM+.

This analysis suggests they will restructure him AGAIN, kicking the can further down the road. I just don't think they can do that. That same article says they are already going to be about $6MM over the cap next year.

In the State of the Ravens presser a couple years ago, Bisciotti talked about not wanting to go through rebuilding cycles. He wanted to stay competitive every year. It's why the Ravens have made painful and controversial decisions to let veterans walk while they are still quality football players. It's the reason that in a down year, the Ravens are still playoff-relevant, competitive in most games, and with several reasons to believe they will be better next year. But if the Steelers stay the course, next year can only be worse.

The Steelers in my opinion have kept too many guys too long, and when you do that (as we did in 2001) you have only one choice: blow the whole freaking thing up. If I were running the Steelers, that's what I'd do. Trade Ben for some draft picks. Let Polamalu, Taylor, Woodley, etc all go in whatever way is most cap friendly. Plan to suck in 2014, hope you don't miss on whatever QB you pick in May, and start getting back to dominance in 2015.
    "Chin up, chest out."

iggyman555 Guest

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181

Ben Roethlisberger suggested he'd be willing to renegotiate his contract in order to stay with the Steelers.
    The NFL Network has been running with stories for the past couple weeks saying Roethlisberger is unhappy in Pittsburgh and a trade this offseason is possible. Big Ben, the Steelers and various other media outlets have been debunking those reports. And on Wednesday, Roethlisberger discussed his $17.8 million cap number for 2014. "Obviously I will do whatever I need to do," he said. "That's something that can be discussed when the time comes. ... I will do whatever it takes to stay here and be a part of this team and help this team win. I love being in Pittsburgh, I am extremely happy."

Hopefully they restructure him for a 4th time. Keep kicking that can down the road, they will be paying him after he's retired all the while taking cap hits.

Blog Entries

We can make fun of the Steelers for "kicking the can down the road" but i truly believe thats going to be the case with most of these QBs, including Flacco. big contract but keep restructuring and eventually adding years so you can do it again.
    -JAB

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrfactoid View Post
    Hopefully they restructure him for a 4th time. Keep kicking that can down the road, they will be paying him after he's retired all the while taking cap hits.
    mb they can give him a bobby bonilla type contract, the mets are still paying him lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    We can make fun of the Steelers for "kicking the can down the road" but i truly believe thats going to be the case with most of these QBs, including Flacco. big contract but keep restructuring and eventually adding years so you can do it again.
    The Ravens have no choice but to exactly that with Flacco in 2016 if they want to keep him.

Blog Entries

Ben can say what he wants, he knows there's only but so much more can kicking that can be done. Since they've done it so much already.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Ben can say what he wants, he knows there's only but so much more can kicking that can be done. Since they've done it so much already.
    Ben has 2 seasons left under contract after this one. As long as the Steelers want to extend him the could significantly reduce his cap number. The only issue would be if they don't want to commit to more years. Since Ben has showed no decreases in performance my guess is that they'll extend him 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Since Ben has showed no decreases in performance my guess is that they'll extend him 2 years
    No decreases in performance ...yet. But that day is coming. Tough as Ben is, he's taken a lot of hits for a lot of years. Sooner or later that has to tell. Does Pittsburgh really want to commit $$ to Ben beyond 2015? I know they've historically hung onto the vets as long as possible, but their front office has to be pondering this question.