Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT - Mark Clayton Retires

I understand where the "bust" talk comes from, but I don't necessarily put that label on him. He looked primed to at least live up to some of his potential as the most "NFL-ready" WR in the 2005 draft class (as per Torry Holt, who was serving as a draft analyst at the time) in the only year he had a competent QB/offense. That was in 2006, just his second season, and McNair's first with the Ravens. 2007 was a crap year for everyone, and no disrespect to Flacco, but he was a rookie in 2008 and the offense was hugely conservative (and rightfully so; that was the only time Cam Cameron tailored the offense to suit the talent on the field). After a couple of electric passing games to open 2009, Cameron went into the hole that he would live in for the following 3+ seasons, and Mark's fate was more or less sealed.

Because I prefer to remember good people fondly, I will choose to forget the dropped pass in Foxboro and instead remember the diving TD catch he made from McNair in 2006 at Heinz Field to help secure the team's first ever first-round bye.
    "Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try and win."--Atticus Finch

"Let's score some more points, guys!"--Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    By all accounts, he was a great guy, but no one will ever forget fourth down in Foxborough.
    You took the exact words right out of my mouth....one of the many opportunities (early on) that Joe had of registering a 4th quarter comeback, only to be let down by one of his teammates; but then it is a team sport!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    He could have been a better receiver here if he had a better QB, that is a shit excuse, but i believe it.
    His perfectly thrown fourth down drop against the Patriots came from none other than Joe Flacco.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

ROH Candidate?

Just messing with you guys.

Clayton was never worth the 22nd pick, sure. But he was a decent enough #2, and probably would have made a great number 3 if we had better WRs and QBs during his time here. Always seemed like a good guy though, wish him luck in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kris21054 View Post
    ROH Candidate?

Just messing with you guys.
    He can go in the "Edwin Mulitalo Ring of Good Guys" that weren't good enough for the RoH.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    He can go in the "Edwin Mulitalo Ring of Good Guys" that weren't good enough for the RoH.
    That's funny right there. The EMROGG lol.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Just curious, but I have heard some Ravens fans say he was lazy in Baltimore and didn't work very hard. Any truth to that? It seemed like he played video games a lot and had a laid back personality so I guess that is where people are getting this from.

I had high hopes when he was drafted. Still remember being in Padonia station for the WNST draft party and being excited to finally have a solid young WR. I remember the story that Ray Lewis talked to him shortly after the draft and said "you're going to be my playmaker." Didn't work out that way, unfortunately. I always felt like he was a younger version of Mason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Just curious, but I have heard some Ravens fans say he was lazy in Baltimore and didn't work very hard. Any truth to that? It seemed like he played video games a lot and had a laid back personality so I guess that is where people are getting this from.

I had high hopes when he was drafted. Still remember being in Padonia station for the WNST draft party and being excited to finally have a solid young WR. I remember the story that Ray Lewis talked to him shortly after the draft and said "you're going to be my playmaker." Didn't work out that way, unfortunately. I always felt like he was a younger version of Mason.
    As far as we know, his work ethic was never a question. Nor was his character. The question was his hands.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As far as we know, his work ethic was never a question. Nor was his character. The question was his hands.
    His hands were fine. Almost every WR we've had here has had a bad drop at some point. ..but he wasn't out there dropping a lot of balls.

His problem was that he was an undersized WR that didnt have any of the essential special skills needed to be a high quality starter when you are small...exceptional speed, quickness, and or just the veteran scrappiness to just know how to get open.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I liked him, he just was almost a duplicate of Mason without the resume'. 2 Mason's on the team weren't necessary or functional. He was having an outstanding beginning of the season that year in St. Louis and I felt really bad for him when he got injured.

Btw, (as I have posted before) just for some perspective on the loss of Boldin, Clayton's best season statistically he matched Boldin's average numbers here. No one was flipping out when they let Clayton go.

Blog Entries

Let's just remember him for this day, arguably his most amazing with the team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtqf5OGO4o
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!