Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should we use RFA tenders on Reed, Harewood, and Cox?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one guy I would not tender is David Reed.
    Wait...you are giving up on him Ex?

Just messing with ya lol...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Why can't we tender Kruger, or give him the tag and try to trade him? I see no one talk about this option. He's sure to get a demand that could net us something.

we don't have the cap space.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    we don't have the cap space.
    We actually do, it would just require cutting Jacoby, Leach, Williams, and McClain (3 of them are likely gone anyway).

Its too late to use the franchise tag anyway, but it could have been an interesting option to have tagged him then put him on the trade block, would have been interesting to see what picks we would have been offered for him.

I personally see these three as a good place to save cap space. Non-Tender them all and offer Vet min deals or close to it. I'm actually OK with ravor's idea of giving Cox a 5 year deal with a 6 figure bonus and Vet Min salaries. He is very good, jsut not worth $1m in capspace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm with you on Morgan Cox. We've seen teams lose playoff games because of a long snapper. Since Cox has been here we've never even thought about the position. That's exactly what you want. I think it would be nuts not to tender him.
    Remember that playoff comeback by the 49ers, over the Giants? I thought that Tom Coughlin was going to drink himself to sleep after that one.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Wait...you are giving up on him Ex?

Just messing with ya lol...
    If you really think about it, it makes sense (I'm sure you figured that out before me). For all of the potential that I think he has, he just can't get out of his own way. Whether it is injuries, fumbles or missing out on key special teams plays, there is just too much keeping him from reaching his potential with no end in sight.

Even if the team released Jacoby Jones, the WR depth chart is going to be competitive. Torrey is a lock, Boldin is a lock and Doss would likely be favorable to make it. The team really likes Deonte Thompson and they don't give the 'hangnail' treatment to players they don't value. That would be Tommie Streeter. That's five right there. LaQuan is going to be on the bubble and Reed won't even be in the picture. Even if they release Jones, there's a chance they'll replace him in FA (I'll leave it at that). Even if they don't, if Tavon Austin falls to them you know they'll take him. How many undersized players have they taken high, because their college production is off the charts? Austin fits the player the Ravens would take, to a tee. j

That would make six.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We actually do, it would just require cutting Jacoby, Leach, Williams, and McClain (3 of them are likely gone anyway).

Its too late to use the franchise tag anyway, but it could have been an interesting option to have tagged him then put him on the trade block, would have been interesting to see what picks we would have been offered for him.
    Sure, if we didn't want to do anything else in UFA like maybe look for a LT. Tagging him would have taken away all flexibility.

Blog Entries

Sure, if we didn't want to do anything else in UFA like maybe look for a LT. Tagging him would have taken away all flexibility.
    Yeah I understand that, just saying, we COULD have done it if we really wanted to.

I get that...I mean we COULD find a way to keep anybody.

But logically, it makes no sense because we don't have cap space to just plunk down on him and still have any opportunity to do anything else in UFA.

Blog Entries

I get that...I mean we COULD find a way to keep anybody.

But logically, it makes no sense because we don't have cap space to just plunk down on him and still have any opportunity to do anything else in UFA.
    Agreed. I just want Ellerbe signed and a legit LT, whether that be McKinnie or someone else I don't care, just not Oher. Anything else is a bonus.

I don't know if leachisabeast was around in 1998, but every Ravens fan alive back then will remember the name "Harper le Bel".

Don't even think about dumping the near-always perfect Cox!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).