Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Week 1: Ravens v.s. Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Well they are the World Champions, duh. Just kidding, how have you been?
    Hey, CC, doing well aside from the fact I now live in N.Y. and must suffer through Jets games! Read something on ESPN today where 2 of 5 analysts pick the Bengals to finish 1st in the AFCN (the other three said 2nd.) Thoughts?

Re: Denver, I'm so nervous about our offense that I really don't know what to expect but it would shock me if we scored anything above 24 that game. I could see us scratching for 17 even. Maybe I'm just a Debbie Downer though, lol.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

EREy

Exactly how did "the refs give us the game" ?? I think your safety did.

Blog Entries

I think the Bengals will have another solid season and finish 2 in the AFCN.

If the Ravens steal another victory from Broncos in Denver. look out.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

The thing with this game is we don't know what to expect. Both teams have been vanilla in PS and haven't assembled all the pieces at one time, including the game plan.

My biggest concern is their passing game. Peyton is probably the best timing passer ever and has some good weapons. I expect we'll mix up coverages and give Manning opportunities to go deep on us. This will be a fresh Peyton, not the frozen one we saw last game. Can the pass rush get to Peyton? Can the secondary pull together? They'll run some but I expect tough sledding unless they soften the defense with many sustained drives. Pees defense seems to stiffen in the red zone as frustrating as that gets sometimes. I'd love to see Canty get a tipped pass for a interception. Containing a healthy Ngata at NT against a questionable center is a matchup to watch, I can't imagine he won't be doubled.

The Broncos had the league leading pass rush but their 2 top sackers will be absent from last year. Joe is dangerous with a clean pocket plus Champ Bailey is doubtful for the game. But who is Joe going to have chemistry with? I expect Dickson will start. We'll get some rushing yards but they aren't soft. We'll have more success running if they are forced to respect the pass. It's important for Joe to hit a rhythm in the passing game. I can't imagine they will be so foolish to leave anyone on an island against Torrey on deep routes. RR is always a X factor in the passing game and I hope to see him involved early. Excited to see Caldwell's playbook as it evolved from last season.

It's not the end of the season for whomever loses, but it's probably more important for the Ravens with their tough schedule. Even if the Broncos lose I still expect they'll have home field advantage once the playoffs start since they have a cupcake schedule and they're a really good team.

There's a general lack of respect towards the Ravens in Colorado. It requires bashing a team with a record not matched by another team in the NFL over the last 5 years. Slighting them is not needed to feel better about my team, the champs are a top notch organization from top to bottom. F'em.

I'll give the nod to the Ravens mostly on the strength of their coaching staff and having to play in the more competitive NFCN. Read up on the Broncos and you never see praise for their coaching staff. Probably their best coach is also their QB. Steel sharpens steel in the NFCN, but it doesn't give you a lot of fantasy points or impressive stats. Plus Harbaugh and Joe haven't lost an opening game ever. Gut check and toughness wins. 27-24, Tucker hits a 60 yarder.

Edit: Tucker hits a NFL record in the thin air.
    Last edited by Bigfish; 09-01-2013 at 11:58 PM.

I'm concerned about our offense just a bit going into the 1st game. I'm not worried about Torrey, Rice, or Flacco, but what about Dickson not playing all preseason and Clark showing absolutely nothing.

I thinking points may not be all that high with our D, so 24-16 Ravens. That front 7 especially with Doom returning to Denver is going to be amped and our offense should have ample time to throw without having to worry about Miller rushing the edge.

I wouldn't be bummed actually if we lose either, but Cleveland might as well not get off of the plane the next week if we do.

Its tough winning on the road, especially emotional games like this. I wouldn't be too upset if the Ravens did lose (as long as they cover the 9-point spresd). I believe that the Ravens defense will be much better than last year, but it may take some time to jell together. The Broncos will be without some key players from last year's team, as will the Ravens. The difference is that the Ravens filled the holes nicely (except for maybe Boldin).

I have a feeling the Ravens will win based on history. In the last game, the Broncos were unable to get much pressure on Flacco, and that was with Dumervil and Miller. The December game, they destroyed our taped-together OLine with constant pass rush. Now, of course, they'll be without Dumervil and Miller. Who will be rushing the QB for them? Guys like Derek Wolfe and Shaun Phillips aren't gonna generate much of a pass rush unless our OLine is rusty, still geling, which very possible. But I think Juan Castillo will have the boys ready to roll. The only way they'll be able to generate consistent pressure is by blitzing, while will expose their corners, who frankly aren't much to write home about with the exception of DRC. Chris Harris had a good year last year, but I think he owes a lot to their pass rush forcing QBs into quick/bad throws.

Another thing is, Harbaugh vs. John Fox. Harbs has had like 4 months to scout Denver and game plan Denver, and he's a better coach than John Fox, so this will be another instance of Harbs outsmarting Fox (ultra cautious). Don't know why, but I can feel it again. We've never lost an opener. I think the Week 1 at the Jets was probably more intimidating than this game, I was shocked to see the Ravens pull that one off.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    I think the Bengals will have another solid season and finish 2 in the AFCN.

If the Ravens steal another victory from Broncos in Denver. look out.
    You're too humble CC, if I were you I'd be gunning for #1 for good reason. Dalton is still young, unless he gets an injury he should improve. I expect to be #1, but it's a long season. We'll continue this conversation later.

I think our D needs 3-4 games to gel & learn to communicate. They will be dominant in last 5-6 games. Bc of the new pieces not having played together on the road in a hostile setting, I have to go head over heart & say that Herman Munster leads the Donkeys to a 30-17 victory over the (purple) reigning Super Bowl champs.

Heart says we win 35-7. (Pgh score from prior opening game!)

4 wides and 6 points for Tucker. 4 sacks and 1 pick for Webb

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I just think we have too many moving parts still on offense to score enough points to win this one. I know we've been very vanilla in preseason, but until I see it I'm not convinced we can just flip a switch and rack up 30+. Plus road games against good teams are just flat out hard to win in the NFL.

Hope I'm wrong, but can see the Broncos winning by a TD or so. More important for me to see all the pieces start to fit together properly even if we don't come out with the win, then completely bury Cleveland in Week 2. I'll say 28-20 Donkeys.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    One of my favorite posts over there:

You just described me. For me, Baltimore are the new Raiders, and right now I would hate to lose to the Ravens even more than losing to the Raiders. I can't stand the sight of Joe Flacco and I'm still pissed at the refs for giving them that game. I will continue to stew until we annihilate them.
    I'm having a hard time remembering anything the refs did to give that game to the Ravens.

This isn't going to be an easy game, even with Dumervil now on our side and Miller watching from home. Manning has another year post-surgery, and it's not going to be cold out. From what I've read, he's throwing the ball fine now. He is going to be able to challenge our secondary if the pass rush doesn't hurry up his clock.

Offensively, I think we're going to be fine. I don't know about 34 points fine, but I don't think the Broncos are going to be able to pitch a shutout, either. Smith is much, much more than just a vertical threat this year. I think the running game is going to be brutal to opposing defenses.

I will be in shock if the Broncos get a kick return for touchdown.

I'm a homer, and I think the Ravens will do enough to win. 27-19.