Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Joe Flacco's price has certainly gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Cam Cameron
    That's certainly - hopefully - a lot of the reason, but we saw hot streaks from Flacco under Cameron too, so if we're going to blame Cam for the cold streaks, isn't he, at least partially responsible for the hot streaks too?

That's not said to defend Cameron in any way, shape or form - he needed to go, and needed to go a long time before he did - but, I'm just not willing to say that Joe deserves a contract worth $20M/year and be paid like guys like Brady, Manning and Brees. I would certainly expect him to be paid handsomely - very handsomely - but, just not that handsomely.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries
    I think he'll get around 16-18 mil a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Cosell ‏@gregcosell
    On weekly basis no QB asked to make more intermediate/downfield throws than Flacco. More difficult, more risk. Strongest arm in the NFL.
    And he only ended up with 10 picks on the year and none post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    $100M over 5 years? That I'm not sure of.

$100M over 6 or 7 years, I more OK with.

While I would agree that the contract numbers mentioned in the article seem a bit low, I do agree with the premise that he shouldn't - even with a SB win - be paid like Manning/Brady/Brees. Those guys have proven to be beyond the inconsistencies that Flacco has exhibited during his career. And, while we all hope those are behind him, we also felt that way last January. Unfortunately, they returned again this season.
    Manning,brady and brees are old news, younger QB Flacco is going to be around for a while. Except for brady, the other two took a while to get where they are now. Those two, one had a soo so year and the other had a defense ranked high, are now watching the playoffs. Brady is still there, but for how much longer. Ravens are in a spot, don't low ball Joe, he is the general now.LOL

Why is Drew Brees always in this conversation? Everybody knows that he did not get to be an elite quarterback until he reached his fifth year, and had to move to another team to do it.

If Joe Flacco wins the Superbowl this year, he would not be wrong asking for Drew Brees type money. If were judging Joe Flacco on Drew Brees' career.

I still think Joe Flacco gets a 90 million dollar contract, maybe 95. If the best is 75 million, Joe is on another team next year.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    @gregcosell:
    @gregcosell: On weekly basis no QB asked to make more intermediate/downfield throws than Flacco. More difficult, more risk. Strongest arm in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the part that stands out to me. I think Flacco gets a raw deal both locally and nationally from the media because of this. Doing what is asked of him week in and week out is harder than what is asked of any other QB. The Ravens offense has very easy throws for a QB. The Ravens are run heavy and use the QB for intermediate to longer throws to set up the run. It is hard for a QB to get into a rhythm or have consistency when most of his throws are of the difficult nature. I really hope whoever is the OC next year they get away from the all or nothing passing game. I loved what Arians did in Indy this year. Love how the New England uses Welker. Would really like to see some of that in Baltimore. The Ravens offense puts so much emphasis on Rice for the short game. It would be nice to see another wr weapon in the short game.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Why is Drew Brees always in this conversation? Everybody knows that he did not get to be an elite quarterback until he reached his fifth year, and had to move to another team to do it.

If Joe Flacco wins the Superbowl this year, he would not be wrong asking for Drew Brees type money. If were judging Joe Flacco on Drew Brees' career.

I still think Joe Flacco gets a 90 million dollar contract, maybe 95. If the best is 75 million, Joe is on another team next year.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

As they said they will tag him twice, he won't see the open market for at least 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Where are the "Joe not worth a big contract" guys or the ones who claimed he doesn't have what it takes to win big games? Funny how Joe has some great games in postseason and those guys dissappear. Joe will make top money in Baltimore or Baltimore will have to go back to pre-Flacco days. Not really a choice at this point. Pay the man!
    Wouldn't have ever called myself a "he doesn't have what it takes to win big games" type, but I definitely fall into the former category, and the category complaining about his inconsistency. Or at least I did. I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Hope Joe extends his streak of great games tonight! Will happily eat more crow if the Ravens win...

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    $100M over 5 years? That I'm not sure of.

$100M over 6 or 7 years, I more OK with.

While I would agree that the contract numbers mentioned in the article seem a bit low, I do agree with the premise that he shouldn't - even with a SB win - be paid like Manning/Brady/Brees. Those guys have proven to be beyond the inconsistencies that Flacco has exhibited during his career. And, while we all hope those are behind him, we also felt that way last January. Unfortunately, they returned again this season.
    "Pay the man."

I think the question should not be what is Flacco's value vs. the other "elite" QBs, but more what is his value (or more to the point, his replacement value) to the Ravens?

If they choose to not meet his demands and franchise tag him, they are basically destroying their ability to sign FAs - think Corey Graham and Jacoby Jones - and seriously compromising their ability to compete.

The alternative is to let him walk. Then they are left trying to replace him with an untested rookie, or a FA journeyman QB. I just don't see how they can take that risk.

Lastly, a point about how Flacco stacks up against the "elite" QBs with which some people say he should not be valued, or even spoken in the same sentence. One thing when you have to consider Flacco's record, and especially his playoff record, is the number of games he's been expected to win on the road. 9 so far and he's won 6. That is unprecedented. How many road playoff wins does Brees have? I will give you a hint: it is the same number of playoff wins as that person you see in the mirror every morning. Peyton Manning was in the league for longer than Flacco has been currently before he got his first road playoff win. Brady? Yes, he is a truly great QB, but do you know that during his last road playoff game, Flacco was getting ready for his senior year at Deleware?

For all the mystique about Brady and the Patriots in the playoffs, including today, their last 10 playoff games have been at Foxboro (or the 2 at the neutral SB sites, both losses, btw). What would Flacco's legacy been if instead of 9 out of 11 on the road, 9 out of those 11 games would have been played at home? Of course, you can say that is on Flacco to get the Ravens home field advantage...but it is a team game, and they don't play 6 games every year versus the Bills, Jets and Dolphins.

So I guess put me in the "pay the man" camp. He may not be "elite" in terms of fantasy stats, or in terms of national perception, but who cares? I think he's worth it in terms of what he means to the Ravens: a QB that wins far, far more games than he loses, and a legitimate chance to get to the Super Bowl.

(...and if anyone finds my old posts, you will see I was decidedly on the fence about Flacco, but I have come to terms that he should be the long-term QB for the Ravens...)
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 01-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Pay that man.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Flacco is going to get what he wants. How can he not?