Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Chargers place Jared Gaither on IR

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I still think that anyone wlling to motivate different people in different ways would have done a better job motivating HIM then "my way or the highway" Harbs, but Harbs way has worked very well, and I can't argue with that, Except in the LONE instance of Gaither, whom it seems wasn't worthy of special treatment.
    Methinks you can add Bryant McKinnie to your Island of Lost Boys

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He failed a conditioning test in Oakland. He was not diagnosed by ANY team doctor about a back issue, which was what is asking for.
    wow you stated that as fact.... intersting. I'm not sure how you can be so certain of that. I'd be impressed to see it

Just to be clear, you are claiming to know for a fact that not one doctor on any NFL team has EVER at ANY TIME seen anything RESEMBLIG a back injury from Jared Gaither. Good luck on those links.

I admitted that I backed off once I noticed he was down for a groin injury. I knew that I was unable to come up with what you were asking for, now your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Methinks you can add Bryant McKinnie to your Island of Lost Boys
    fair argument, and i suppose Chris McAllister as well. that's 3 people of over a hundred that have been square pegs for Harbs round holes.

So like I said, I'm no longer faulting them, just noting what could have been....

The one and only person that shoulders blame for this is Gaither.

This organization did everything it could.

He acted like a 10 year old and enough was enough.

Every team's scouts saw the potential. The Chargers did and got burned for a ton of money.

The Ravens cut bait because they were the first to deal with him and thankfully didn't have much invested in him both draft pick wise and money wise.
    \

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    The one and only person that shoulders blame for this is Gaither.

This organization did everything it could.

He acted like a 10 year old and enough was enough.

Every team's scouts saw the potential. The Chargers did and got burned for a ton of money.

The Ravens cut bait because they were the first to deal with him and thankfully didn't have much invested in him both draft pick wise and money wise.
    \

PP
    I odnly disagree that they did everything they could... unless you mean to run him out of town.

Bcuase, if they wanted him to stay, they could have had an actual competition for the LT job that summer during training camp, but htey didn't, not even close. And that was the final nail in the coffin. It may have been the intent, but, if the intent was to motivate him, they failed miserably and really need to learn a thing or two abnout motivating talented underachievers. FWIW, in retrospect, I think they had already washed their hands of him. FWIW, i think that had a lot to do with their failed assesment that Oher was a star LT in the makings.

wow you stated that as fact.... intersting. I'm not sure how you can be so certain of that. I'd be impressed to see it

Just to be clear, you are claiming to know for a fact that not one doctor on any NFL team has EVER at ANY TIME seen anything RESEMBLIG a back injury from Jared Gaither. Good luck on those links.

I admitted that I backed off once I noticed he was down for a groin injury. I knew that I was unable to come up with what you were asking for, now your turn.
    Fallacious tactic, asking me to prove a negative.

The absence of proof does not mean your opinions on Gaither have more validity.

My side of the coin has injury reports, college suspensions, draft scouting, three different press markets all coming up with the same news about Gaither, three different teams medically clearing him to then get burned by this phantom back injury, etc.

Your side of the coin has Gaither and ..... Nothing else ... now that you've admitted there's nothing out there to support your claim.

Blog Entries

Jared Gaither - T - Chargers

Speaking about LT Jared Gaither's season-ending groin injury, Chargers coach Norv Turner said, "We gave Jared every opportunity to be a part of this team, and it just hasn't worked out."
    It's a not so subtle shot from Norval at his would-be left tackle, whose "Big Lazy" ways reared their ugly head from the word "go" this season. Gaither missed nearly all of camp with a mysterious "back injury," and appeared in just four of 10 contests before his year was ended on Friday. Gaither's $4.5 million 2013 salary is guaranteed, however, so he'll be back in a Bolts uniform next season. They can only hope he works harder this offseason. We wouldn't hold our breath.

I odnly disagree that they did everything they could... unless you mean to run him out of town.

Bcuase, if they wanted him to stay, they could have had an actual competition for the LT job that summer during training camp, but htey didn't, not even close. And that was the final nail in the coffin. It may have been the intent, but, if the intent was to motivate him, they failed miserably and really need to learn a thing or two abnout motivating talented underachievers. FWIW, in retrospect, I think they had already washed their hands of him. FWIW, i think that had a lot to do with their failed assesment that Oher was a star LT in the makings.
    As we've discussed before, IMO you are just drastically underestimating just how much of a pain Gaither was.

He's act goes WAY beyond just being an underachiever.

PP

Blog Entries

Me? Lot sof little milestones. Public acknowledgement of meeting those milestones.
    You want him to come in the offseason for OPTIONAL workouts? The physical handing out of $100 bills for coming to each workout would likely have worked. He seems like he would be motivated by days off. IF he gets to certain weight/strength milestones give him a day off. Sometimes for these types of people it's even more motivating to see SOMEONE ELSE get the "bonus" for meeting a milestone you should have. Let's say Cheeseburger got down to a certain weight, and got a nice public congratulations and a day off, that might be as motivating as Gaither doing the same. Persona;lly, I don't know him well enough to know for sure, but it seems that public acknowledgement of succes would go a long way with him. I've found in my maagement career that literally handing out CASH publicly is the great motivator. I wonder why bountygate was so rampant throughout the league? Hundreds of dollars to millionaires? Oh it's the pride portion of it that was successful. Maybe have Madden Tournaments after the Optional workouts. Lots of things to try.
    Taking away ones job, and giving it to a player that everyone knows is less talented, but a harder worker, is about the least motivational tactic I have ever heard of.
    They couldn't hand out money publicly though. It would have to be through his contract.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Gaither has made his fortune, he will go down in NFL history as a player who made the most money doing the least amount of games. He has outdone Russell of oakland.Some will call him smart for convincing San Diego to pay him that much. Obviously he has no problem with taking the money and most of us will never make that kind of money.

11. Re: Chargers place Jared Gaither on IR

Glad he's not a Raven anymore.
    All the problems we've had this season with injuries, the D and Cam/Joe/Harbs/Poe/BritneySpears/YourMom (take your pick) being mainly responsible for the O sucking ass on the road, the last thing we need is a lazy unmotivated underachiever at LT.

Besides, we already have one of those in McKinnie anyway (if we actually played him).

Except for the facts that:

1. Harbaugh said the move was "potentially" permanent, meaning, obviously, that Gaither could still win his job back if he did want he was supposed to. Which, IMO, would have happened - what they wanted to see happen - if he got with the program (so to speak).

2. Eric DeCosta said that Gaither could win his job back.

3. Gaither basically never played again, claiming a hurt foot (not his back), even though - by his own admission - he spent the next two months playing too much basketball and did too much cardio, causing him to lose all the weight.

4. DeCosta also said - when Oher was drafted - that they had their bookend tackles for the future. Yes, I do think that they felt that Oher could play LT, but they expected that he would be their RT, with Gaither at LT.

But, as PP said, his act had pretty much already grown old, so, you're right, this was probably his last chance with them, since the other motivational tactics and coddling hadn't worked.

And, he came up small.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap