Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In all seriousness, don't be surprised if any of these players join the Ravens:

Let's keep it real, McKinnie put in enough effort to cash in and he ain't putting in that type of effort again. He'll show up to training camp out of shape, as usual. Why go through that when you can bring in Jake Long, IF you can get him for 8 million a year. Don't ask me why I still think that's possible, but..........

As for Randy Moss, it actually makes too much sense. First and foremost, Randy Moss still requires a double team. That hasn't changed. People forget that Moss, in his prime, was a 4.2 guy. So, the idea that he's lost a step or two only puts him around 4.4, which is still pretty darn fast. Second, his presence is a key reason why Crabtree and Davis were able to get those underneath, intermediate looks in the passing offense. He took a safety with him when he went deep. Third, if there was one area where Kaepernick struggled, it was throwing the intermediate-deep passes outside the hash. Where does Moss make his money? In the intermediate-deep range, outside the hash. Where is Joe Flacco the most deadly? In the intermediate-deep range, outside the hash.

Moss wants to play for a contender. Indianapolis was interested in Randy Moss when Caldwell was the Head Coach there. Moss would count for less than half of the amount that Jacoby Jones will count for, toward the cap.

Casey Hampton could be available, mainly, due to his age. If teams are reluctant to pay him the money he deserves, due to his age, he could come here, where he knows he's going to still get a decent amount and win while doing it. His role will be clear and he can clearly fill that role. Hampton in between Ngata and Jones? With Suggs and Upshaw setting the edge? Please. Game over. Number one run defense in the league.
    Please don't tell me you are advocating for Moss...

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Glover Quinn could be an option, he's hitting FA.
    What do you think he'd be looking for money-wise? He's only 27, proven starter. Definitely like it, but probably too expensive
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Please don't tell me you are advocating for Moss...
    Why don't you want to hear that?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

All those defensive names are just fine and dandy. I love Ellerbe but I think the obvious is being overlooked.
    You do not go and hand your franchise QB a record deal and give him the offensive line that is currently under contract.
    You give him the best shot of reaching his potential and that means addressing the gaping hole at LT
    Oher will start at RT, Osmele and Yanda at gaurd, Gino will get a shot with a vet or draft pick at C
    Drafting from 32 makes it less likely you are going to get a LT who can start day 1 unless you move up which would be costly.
    McKinnie is not guy who is dependable. I think they look elsewhere.
    I think this translates into the Ravens sinking some money into a LT (maybe Long?) and a guy like Barnett at ILB or a DT then draft whatever else they need on defense. Hitting on a developmental LT is not that easy
    The rationale is that from were they are drafting they will be more likely to address S, ILB and even C (Barrett Jones etc) from that drafting position than LT

Just my take. I think keeping Joe healthy, upright and giving him time to throw is the #1 priority that will be hard to address in the draft
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post

What do you think he'd be looking for money-wise? He's only 27, proven starter. Definitely like it, but probably too expensive
    Great option. Love those Texans cast offs.

He will probably be pretty expensive though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Free Agent Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Mauluga is awful and a perfect example of a college prospect that was and still is to some extent totally overrated. He is one of the worst LBs in coverage, and by the sounds of it, isn't a great guy off the field either.

There are better options out there like Brad Jones from GB, Nick Barnett who just got cut, and Daryl Smith who has been one of the most underrated players in the league for years playing for garbage teams in Jacksonville. I'm not even joking, I think I'd rather have Bart Scott back over Rey Mauluga.
    Agreed do not need Mauluga. On the field liability and by some accounts a me first player.
    I have always liked Nick Barnett, who is a tackle machine and adequate or better in coverage.
    I think Smith may get costly. Also would rather not have Bart or Rey.
    I think those two guys go somewhere to teams who are desperate. The Super Bowl Champs will attract some of the better buys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In all seriousness, don't be surprised if any of these players join the Ravens:

Let's keep it real, McKinnie put in enough effort to cash in and he ain't putting in that type of effort again. He'll show up to training camp out of shape, as usual. Why go through that when you can bring in Jake Long, IF you can get him for 8 million a year. Don't ask me why I still think that's possible, but..........

As for Randy Moss, it actually makes too much sense. First and foremost, Randy Moss still requires a double team. That hasn't changed. People forget that Moss, in his prime, was a 4.2 guy. So, the idea that he's lost a step or two only puts him around 4.4, which is still pretty darn fast. Second, his presence is a key reason why Crabtree and Davis were able to get those underneath, intermediate looks in the passing offense. He took a safety with him when he went deep. Third, if there was one area where Kaepernick struggled, it was throwing the intermediate-deep passes outside the hash. Where does Moss make his money? In the intermediate-deep range, outside the hash. Where is Joe Flacco the most deadly? In the intermediate-deep range, outside the hash.

Moss wants to play for a contender. Indianapolis was interested in Randy Moss when Caldwell was the Head Coach there. Moss would count for less than half of the amount that Jacoby Jones will count for, toward the cap.

Casey Hampton could be available, mainly, due to his age. If teams are reluctant to pay him the money he deserves, due to his age, he could come here, where he knows he's going to still get a decent amount and win while doing it. His role will be clear and he can clearly fill that role. Hampton in between Ngata and Jones? With Suggs and Upshaw setting the edge? Please. Game over. Number one run defense in the league.
    Not so sure about Moss but I agree with you about Long
    Flacco is your franchise player now. You spend what it takes to make sure he is protected, healthy and able to have maximum amount of time to do his thing. Think the playoffs proved that when he has those things...he is ridiculously good.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post

Flacco is your franchise player now. You spend what it takes to make sure he is protected, healthy and able to have maximum amount of time to do his thing. Think the playoffs proved that when he has those things...he is ridiculously good.
    If they are convinced that Jake Long is healthy, can work well in their offense, and can be signed to a fair market deal...then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I like Connor Barwin.

What about some bargain guys? Who's the next Leach, Pollard, Jacoby type signing?

I still call Jake Long will be a Raven next Tuesday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post

I like Connor Barwin.

What about some bargain guys? Who's the next Leach, Pollard, Jacoby type signing?

I still call Jake Long will be a Raven next Tuesday.
    I think Barwin could definitely be the next Pollard/Jacoby/Leach. He had a down year, but I still like his experience as a 3-4 olb. He could be a nice inexpensive replacement for Kruger while providing nice depth behind Suggs and Upshaw.

For the Jake Long discussion this is a great read. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-tackles/

PFF's analysis and the fact that Long is asking for $11 million shows why we will not go after him. With this Joe Flacco deal the Ravens used the "what have you done for me lately" way of thinking. Well Jake Long in the past two years has done nothing to warrant franchise LT money. BMac graded out better than Long this year. Sure he may return to elite form, but that is not the type of move Ozzie makes. It is too much of a risk and goes against what they do in free agency which is focusing on their own players and finding values. Jake Long will not be a value free agent even at the $8 million some of you guys are talking about.

Now the guy at LT who may be a value guy is Sebastian Vollmer. He is an elite RT who has experience at LT (where he played really well according to PFF). And we may be able to get him for elite RT money rather than elite LT money.

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    For the Jake Long discussion this is a great read. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-tackles/

PFF's analysis and the fact that Long is asking for $11 million shows why we will not go after him. With this Joe Flacco deal the Ravens used the "what have you done for me lately" way of thinking. Well Jake Long in the past two years has done nothing to warrant franchise LT money. BMac graded out better than Long this year. Sure he may return to elite form, but that is not the type of move Ozzie makes. It is too much of a risk and goes against what they do in free agency which is focusing on their own players and finding values. Jake Long will not be a value free agent even at the $8 million some of you guys are talking about.

Now the guy at LT who may be a value guy is Sebastian Vollmer. He is an elite RT who has experience at LT (where he played really well according to PFF). And we may be able to get him for elite RT money rather than elite LT money.
    Long is just one of the candidates as you pointed out there are other names to consider.

Think the real point here is that Ravens need to address LT and they are unlikely to get a guy who can start day 1 in the draft.

BMac will not be back unless the Ravens have no other options. Whatever the reasons he is inconsistent, shows up out of shape and frankly is not reliable. Not qualities that will endear him to John or Ozzie IMO unless they are forced into a marriage of necessity .
    -Ray Lewis