Page 72 of 333 FirstFirst ... 7071727374 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Oher is far from a bust
    Depends what you, sorry, the ravens where expecting when they drafted him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    You are referring to Nevada's Zach Sudfeld...though he's more than something of a red zone target. Every bit as talented as Eifert but wasn't featured in Chris Alt's system. He blocked a boatload in that system.

G3
    Okay, I'll admit that I know nothing about this guy. Is he a 5th/6th round type or is he someone we'd have to commit one of those earlier picsk to get?

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    Couple questions. What are your thoughts on nico Johnson? He had a lot of expectation coming into this season and with mostly going back to school I figured his stock would rise.

Are there any late round type LT like last years Andrew Datko who only fell due to injury?

Is Aboushi really that good? I just don't see a complete player and more of an oher type bust potential
    Nico Johnson would have been a terrific prospect 15 years ago.

He is big, physical and very good against the run.

But he is a fish out of water in pass coverage and not all that athletic.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Okay, I'll admit that I know nothing about this guy. Is he a 5th/6th round type or is he someone we'd have to commit one of those earlier picsk to get?
    He's a 5th or 6th rounder. I'm not particularly familiar with him as a prospect either as I've not watched any Nevada tape. I don't know him to have a reputation as a blocker based on what I read, but he's well thought of as a prospect.

As more of a pure blocking tight end in the 5th-6th range I like Michael Williams out of Alabama. He's an excellent prospect who blocks well and has been used at fullback to good effect this year. If we cut Leach we could use him as the primary blocker out of 2TE sets.

Cool Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I don't know anything about this guy either. All I know is that the Ravens need a good (and big) blocking TE since Pitta isn't really a blocker. If the guy could also be a red zone target, even better.

Maybe "Wicked" knows something about him!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Depends what you, sorry, the ravens where expecting when they drafted him.
    I don't think the Ravens were expecting an All-Pro considering they took him with the 23rd pick and he was the 4th tackle taken in the draft. Typically when you draft at spot #23, you are drafting a player who you expect to be a solid starter with the hope of being a Pro Bowl caliber type player. Oher has fulfilled the main requirement of his slot, having started 70 out of 70 career games. He clearly is not going to reach the "hope" half of that draft slot by turning into an All Pro, but that doesn't make him a bust.

He might only be an average to below-average starting LT, but that doesn't make him a bust. LT is typically where you put your most talented O-lineman, so being #20 out of 32 starting LTs doesn't make you a bad football player.

To me a bust is a player who either:

a) is clearly not good enough to play at a level representative of his draft position (Oher being a fixture in the starting lineup on some very good teams since his very first game shows he's good enough)

b) can't stay healthy enough to help his team (never missed a game)

c) can't stay out of off-the-field trouble consistently enough to help his team (zero character issues here)

If you want to know what a bust OT looks like....look at the 3 OTs drafted ahead of him.

Jason Smith was the #2 overall pick that year and he couldn't stay healthy during his first three seasons with the Rams(missed 22 of his first 48 games). Prior to his injury issues, he lost his starting LT job to a rookie. The Rams thought so highly of him that they traded him to the Jets after just three years for a journeyman O-lineman. Again, this was the #2 overall pick.

Andre Smith was taken 17 picks higher than Oher at #6. He was so bad and had such a poor work ethic (and had such big man boobs...sorry couldn't help myself) that he only started 5 games over his first two seasons and was utterly horrible. Over the past two seasons, he's improved and has been the starter at RT, but is still nothing special there. He's not as good of a RT as Oher is and nowhere near as good a LT as Oher is. He has the luxury, though, of not needing to be good enough to play LT because the Bengals have one of the games best LTs in Whitworth. Oher> than Andre Smith and it's not really close. The Ravens have got far more value out of Oher than the Bengals from Smith.

Eugene Monroe was drafted 8th, 15 spots higher than Oher. He's not been nearly the bust of Smith or Smith, but he is a ho-hum, nothing special LT right now. He has stayed largely healthy and is emerging as a okay LT, but when you draft a OT at #8, you expect more than that. He is pretty much Oher's equal right now as a LT, but when you consider that Oher has played RT for half his NFL career and was drafted far lower than Monroe, he's nowhere near the same level of bust.

Sergio Kindle is a bust.
    DeRon Jenkins was a bust.
    Kyle Boller was a bust.
    Dan Cody was a bust.
    Terrance Cody is approaching bust status.

Michael Oher is not a bust and I don't think he's even close to one. He might never be the All Pro we hope he would be when we drafted him, but he's been durable and versatile and has played as hard as he can from whistle to whistle every down no matter where we've put him.
    Last edited by LukeDaniel; 01-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.

I don't think the Ravens were expecting an All-Pro considering they took him with the 23rd pick and he was the 4th tackle taken in the draft. Typically when you draft at spot #23, you are drafting a player who you expect to be a solid starter with the hope of being a Pro Bowl caliber type player. Oher has fulfilled the main requirement of his slot, having started 70 out of 70 career games. He clearly is not going to reach the "hope" half of that draft slot by turning into an All Pro, but that doesn't make him a bust.

He might only be an average to below-average starting LT, but that doesn't make him a bust. LT is typically where you put your most talented O-lineman, so being #20 out of 32 starting LTs doesn't make you a bad football player.

To me a bust is a player who either:

a) is clearly not good enough to play at a level representative of his draft position (Oher being a fixture in the starting lineup on some very good teams since his very first game shows he's good enough)

b) can't stay healthy enough to help his team (never missed a game)

c) can't stay out of off-the-field trouble consistently enough to help his team (zero character issues here)

If you want to know what a bust OT looks like....look at the 3 OTs drafted ahead of him.

Jason Smith was the #2 overall pick that year and he couldn't stay healthy during his first three seasons with the Rams(missed 22 of his first 48 games). Prior to his injury issues, he lost his starting LT job to a rookie. The Rams thought so highly of him that they traded him to the Jets after just three years for a journeyman O-lineman. Again, this was the #2 overall pick.

Andre Smith was taken 17 picks higher than Oher at #6. He was so bad and had such a poor work ethic (and had such big man boobs...sorry couldn't help myself) that he only started 5 games over his first two seasons and was utterly horrible. Over the past two seasons, he's improved and has been the starter at RT, but is still nothing special there. He's not as good of a RT as Oher is and nowhere near as good a LT as Oher is. He has the luxury, though, of not needing to be good enough to play LT because the Bengals have one of the games best LTs in Whitworth. Oher> than Andre Smith and it's not really close. The Ravens have got far more value out of Oher than the Bengals from Smith.

Eugene Monroe was drafted 8th, 15 spots higher than Oher. He's not been nearly the bust of Smith or Smith, but he is a ho-hum, nothing special LT right now. He has stayed largely healthy and is emerging as a okay LT, but when you draft a OT at #8, you expect more than that. He is pretty much Oher's equal right now as a LT, but when you consider that Oher has played RT for half his NFL career and was drafted far lower than Monroe, he's nowhere near the same level of bust.

Sergio Kindle is a bust.
    DeRon Jenkins was a bust.
    Kyle Boller was a bust.
    Dan Cody was a bust.
    Terrance Cody is approaching bust status.

Michael Oher is not a bust and I don't think he's even close to one. He might never be the All Pro we hope he would be when we drafted him, but he's been durable and versatile and has played as hard as he can from whistle to whistle every down no matter where we've put him.
    but if they drafted him thinking he will be the next jo, wouldn't you consider that a bust?

For me personally, I don't think he is. But if manti teo fell to us and we drafted him, I'd be expecting him to be on the level if not exceeding the play of someone like bowman, or Washington eventually obviously.

Say of we only get I dunno, dem Ryan's type play, I'd consider it a bust, merely because of the expectation, but at the same time, I'd be satisfied with his performance.

That's where I'm at with oher, I expected a lot more, but I'm satisfied with what we hand, not a bust per say, but not quite how I thought he would turn out either.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I don't know anything about this guy either. All I know is that the Ravens need a good (and big) blocking TE since Pitta isn't really a blocker. If the guy could also be a red zone target, even better.

Maybe "Wicked" knows something about him!
    Zach Sudfeld is a clear RZ target at about 6'6 255 (IIRC).
    He looks like everybit the athlete that Eifert and Ertz are.
    He blocks however the play is designed...in-line, back side seal, crack back, 2nd level and even counters.
    Tough as hell, judging by all of the injuries that he has recovered from, which is also obviously a concern.

There are brief highlights within the interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w
    I can't find the game film that I watched about 3 weeks back.

After scoring two early TDs on go routes, most of what he did vs. Arizona (bowl game) was block, and he did that well. Coach Ault like to spread the ball around, but I have no idea why he didn't just stuff Sudfeld down Arizona's DBs' throats all day long.

If Ertz, Florida's Reed, and SDSU's Escobar stay in school then Sudfeld might go 32-48 picks early. Nevermind how he was used this season, I think his performance value is enormous. If I could become confident that he's not injury prone then I would consider bottom 3rd/top 4th for him. I'm a bit surprised that he has stayed below the radar. Non Pac 12 west coast bias maybe lol.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 01-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Adam Caplan is on twitter saying the Ravens have signed WR Tori Gurley to a reserve future contract

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I like your draft scenario except that instead of Minter or Brown, I'd pick Hodges instead! And I'd be sure to use one of the lower round picks on a large, tall, blocking TE that could be something of a red zone target. Otherwise, I think you really nailed it!
    I meant to add a blocking TE to that list as well, forgot all about it. Leach mentioned Michael Williams in the 5th, that would be perfect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    but if they drafted him thinking he will be the next jo, wouldn't you consider that a bust?

For me personally, I don't think he is. But if manti teo fell to us and we drafted him, I'd be expecting him to be on the level if not exceeding the play of someone like bowman, or Washington eventually obviously.

Say of we only get I dunno, dem Ryan's type play, I'd consider it a bust, merely because of the expectation, but at the same time, I'd be satisfied with his performance.

That's where I'm at with oher, I expected a lot more, but I'm satisfied with what we hand, not a bust per say, but not quite how I thought he would turn out either.
    JO was drafted 4th overall.

Big BIG difference between the 4th overall pick and the mid 20's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Adam Caplan is on twitter saying the Ravens have signed WR Tori Gurley to a reserve future contract
    Interesting.

He is a BIG dude. He was with the Packers for a while. He was kind of a WR/TE. I think he is 6'4" 235lbs or so.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.