Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Birk and Ayanbadejo both seem like intelligent, respectful guys. Now if they could block and cover like they write op-eds....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Re: Birk Wades Into Same-Sex Marriage Debate

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Is it? It was just a news item. I don't think the news about Brendan expressing his views then being told to shut up by that one lawmaker got moved to an outside forum, did it?

Sure .... I moved it to the politics forum within minutes after it was posted. We try to consistent -- the subject of that discussion was BA's opining about homosexuals seeking the legal right to marry, just as the subject of this one is Birk's opposing opinion.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I can show any number of stupid things coming out of the mouths of highly educated educators.
    Like what this Calculus prof did at Michigan State.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...#ixzz289SI2v8h

Birk's main point was not letting it become a
    circus or issue in the locker room. Same should go for any office.

“Don’t discourage it or encourage it,” Birk said. “As long as everybody respects everybody else’s opinion, that’s the main thing. We talk about politics, religion . . . movies, music. It’s OK to have an opinion.”
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-02-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    More "higher eduction indoctrination" is what is should say. It is true that higher education often leads to liberalism, but education and intelligence are not intertwined as closely as some people think. I can show any number of stupid things coming out of the mouths of highly educated educators.
    I can tell you that I helped my wife with some homework for an interview class and it was the most liberal BS I have ever seen. It was indoctrination to the MAX. The section we had to "learn" was about cultural Biases and it was pointing out how "advantaged" the white male is and how you need to be cognizant of that.

And I agree, highly educated and intelligent are NOT synonyms. The closest parrallel, IMO, is that intelligence makes the acquisition of knowledge easier, and thus it is EASIER to be highly educated if you are intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    As Birk went to Harvard, I'm a little shocked by his stance: Most studies show (and in my own personal experience it's been the case more often than not) that higher education = more liberal/progressive views.
    Birk is known for his Catholic background and views. Not as well known as Philip Rivers but still he's made no secret of it

His stance doesn't suprise me at all

And you're right, if BA can put forward his point in an articulate manner then Birk can certainly do the same

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I think the intellectual-liberal equation is a reflection of the amount of liberal intellectuals involved in mainstream media and other TV avenues.

Many (I'd say most) eminent conservative intellectuals are simply unknown. Paul Rahe, Victor Davis Hanson, John Taylor, to name a few.
    And some are known, just not ever quoted / sourced in 95% of the colleges in this country.

Dr. Thomas Sowell, Dr. Walter Williams come to mind right away ...

Blog Entries

Ah, Dr Walt Williams, minority professor of Economics, George Mason University. I love the guy when he filled in for Rush.

Anyway, he came on at the top of the show once and said I was doing my taxes over the
    weekend and figured out I'm supporting 5 families on well fare. ILMAO

My black friends weren't so amused. They hated the guy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-02-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And some are known, just not ever quoted / sourced in 95% of the colleges in this country.

Don't forget Anne Coulter. She'd kill any of them in a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Sowell might be the best example there is as far as colleges go.

Liberals ordinarily would drool over a man like him. For all intents and purposes, A genius, who is an African American high school drop out from Harlem. Unfortunately welfare and government subsidies didn't create him, so instead he's just an annoying anomaly to them.

My personal favorite:

In their haste to be wiser and nobler than others, the anointed have misconceived two basic issues. They seem to assume (1) that they have more knowledge than the average member of the benighted and (2) that this is the relevant comparison. The real comparison, however, is not between the knowledge possessed by the average member of the educated elite versus the average member of the general public, but rather the total direct knowledge brought to bear though social processes (the competition of the marketplace, social sorting, etc.), involving millions of people, versus the secondhand knowledge of generalities possessed by a smaller elite group. —Thomas Sowell
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 10-03-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

That's a great quote, Sir.

His analytical mechanisms are bulletproof.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt