Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Alternative Names for the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    And how come none of those other franchise owners get the crap heaped on them that Modell did for moving the Browns to Baltimore? It's not as if it was unheard of to move an NFL franchise.
    Always wondered that myself. Al Davis (twice), Bud Adams, Georgia Frontiere and Irsay all get a free pass. Yet what Modell did was unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Why leave out the Baltimore Fire - in honor of the 1904 Great Baltimore Fire.
    mmi16 is correct. The Baltimore Fire was a Fan Vote as well at one time. They even talked about using Baltimore Blaze some however once the Sun pushed Ravens it was all over. Back then everyone would read the Sun still.

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Ravens has worked out pretty well for us.

I would have been fine with Bombers though... I mean, New York has the Jets, it's not like it's a big stretch there. Not a fan of being called the Crabs. Rhinos would have been okay but the colors would likely have been awful. Blues would have been awful too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You mean there was a time we actually built stuff in this country?
    LOL - Yea, we used to.

This will make you sick - especially the last paragraph.

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/fea...a-company-town

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Your're right about the clippers and the bomber name but that was after ships of the 1800s being built in the Baltimore Ship Yards. The famous Constellation docked in the harbor is one such ship and still afloat. The military knew England would attack us again and built those ships plus the Contitution up in Boston to combat them.
    AirFlacco: CLOSE, but not quite! The Constellation and Constitution are actually Frigates, not Clippers. The famous Baltimore Clippers to which you refer look more like the Pride of Baltimore, which was built as a modern day tribute to that style. Looking at the two ships, you can clearly see a difference in design. Clippers were known for their speed, because while they carried nearly the same sail area as the larger Frigates and Square Rigged ships of the day, their hulls were smaller and lighter, enabling them to sail faster.

So basically I am saying that you are correct that Baltimore is known for building Clippers, the Constallation is NOT an example of one. The Pride of Baltimore is, though.

Pride:

Constellation:

Clearly a different design. Just want to be historically accurate here since we are using history to talk about the various names.

Blog Entries

I meant that the Constellation was marauder with speed like the clippers that was used to fight the British, French and Algerian ships. It beat them all with the clipper's speed and the battle ship's fire power. I posted it's history so I was clear on that. I didn't mean it was a complete clipper but a ship that used its speed plus it had the fire power to sink or capture it's rivals.

Baltimore was famous for that and the British tried to destroy it's ship yards.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Wanna know why Marauders was one of the choices? WW II veterans would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Art View Post
    Wanna know why Marauders was one of the choices? WW II veterans would know.
    We already know:

http://russellstreetreport.com/forum...874#post611874
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hmm, I think it would be Baltimore Clipper you might be referring to -- the fast schooners that could outrace the British blockades. They did turn that into a good hockey team name.

I'm pretty sure Marauders is a reference to the B-26 Marauder that was built at the Glen L Martin company plant in Middle River. That was the bomber that was famous for the glass bubble for the nose gunner. They were also famous for crashing at a horrific rate on take off before a senate committee hauled in the company and made them lengthen the wingspan. The Bombers name is basically a reference to the same plane.
    Bingo!

Blog Entries

Out of the names to pick from, I'm glad it's Ravens. I do think Blue Crabs would've been pretty sweet though...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I recall the Defenders being one...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    That's right and that was a cool name and they had cool unis. I loved the Stallions but when Art first came here they were going to be the Browns until Cleveland sued him. Then when he changed the name the Sun wanted the Ravens name more than anyone and really pushed for it because of Edgard Allen Poe growing up here.
    The Cleveland lawsuit had squat-all to do with Modell giving up the name. He wanted to keep the team the Browns- name, colours, history, etc.- but polling commissioned by him and the Maryland Stadium Authority showed fans here in Baltimore hated the idea. We wanted a new team, but we didn't want to do what Irsay and Indianapolis had done to us.

Cleveland's lawsuit was a loser from jump street given the precedents established by the Raiders' move to L.A. and the Irsay move to Indianapolis. If a lawsuit could have done it, the Colts name, etc. would have stayed in Baltimore.