Blog Entries

Why wasn't Tom Terrific Blasted for this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-second-start/

Damon Huard, who was the Patriots’ third-string quarterback that year, recalled in an interview with ESPN.com that Brady told him after his second career start that he knew he was going to be great.

“I’ve been playing this game my whole life,” Brady told Huard. “I’ve started a couple games now, and it’s the same game, man. It’s no different. I kid you not, it’s not that hard. I’m going to be a great one. I’m going to be one of the best at this game.”

It’s pretty surprising Brady felt that way after that game. In that game, Brady went 12-for-24 for 86 yards and lost two fumbles while the Patriots lost 30-10.

Re: Why wasn't Tom Terrific Blasted for this?

It's all water under the bridge now. It didn't get noticed back then because he was Mr "I was drafted in the 6th round" at the time. I don't see any problem with this statement. Just confidence. So I'm not understanding the premis of your thread title.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    It's all water under the bridge now. It didn't get noticed back then because he was Mr "I was drafted in the 6th round" at the time. I don't see any problem with this statement. Just confidence. So I'm not understanding the premis of your thread title.
    I don't have any problem with Brady's statement. My point was that Flacco said something similar, and he was ripped by the entire media.

He said that in a private conversation after his second start back in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't have any problem with Brady's statement. My point was that Flacco said something similar, and he was ripped by the entire media.
    Got it. Perhaps the difference is the timing of the statement and the fact that Flacco was more of a known commodity at the time of his statement more so than Brady was when uttered something similiar.
    Furthermore Brady made the confession to a teammate where Flacco made it to a radion station, local or national I can't recall but I understand the principle you're debating but I think you have to take into consideration the circumstances. Slight different in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Got it. Perhaps the difference is the timing of the statement and the fact that Flacco was more of a known commodity at the time of his statement more so than Brady was when uttered something similiar.
    Furthermore Brady made the confession to a teammate where Flacco made it to a radion station, local or national I can't recall but I understand the principle you're debating but I think you have to take into consideration the circumstances. Slight different in my opinion.
    I agree but Flacco was asked the question directly. What do you want him to say? "I suck, I shouldn't be an NFL QB"

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan in MD View Post
    Hate to agree with the Pats fan, but he hit the nail on the head. :)

I had no problem with Flacco's comments. He wasn't going out of his way to proclaim his greatness. He was asked a question and answered it in a way that a confident athlete should. The flack he caught in the media was over the top.

But the Brady situation pointed too in the thread is still completely different since that was a private conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I agree but Flacco was asked the question directly. What do you want him to say? "I suck, I shouldn't be an NFL QB"
    I don't think we're debating what Flacco should say, I thought it was more the reaction to what was said.

Blog Entries

Nail, meet head. Flacco's play since 2010 has been a bit of up and down. Critics said he hadn't quite proved himself, so it became this constant drone on how Flacco was good, not great. Someone started asking him what he thought of the criticism and he ran with this "I'm an elite QB" talk. Yes, every player should think that about themselves, but when you go out and put that into the media, you are putting yourself in the crosshairs. You HAVE to back that kind've talk up, and until these last 4-5 games, he really hadn't.

Tom Brady made this comment to Damon Huard. Who's talking to Damon Huard about Tom Brady? Probably a handful of people before now. Tom didn't go out and say that to the media.

Still hate him. Even more than Peyton.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Tom Brady was right. It's extremely easy to put up great numbers when you get 15 yard gifts and declinable penalties every time the defense thinks about sacking you. It's easy to win ball games when your coach illegally wiretaps and spies on the other team.

"PatsFan in MD"??? Sucks to be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    "PatsFan in MD"??? Sucks to be you.
    Nah, not really. We won last year and the Pats have beaten the Ravens more so than the other way around. I get to enjoy my team without having to deal with that NE weather. No way I'd move back up north. Plus traffic up north is waaaay worse than it is here.