Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Flacco impressed with Gino Gradkowski so far

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...no-gradkowski/

He’s [Gino] a bright guy. He’s picked the offense up quickly and he’s making all of his calls quickly and getting our offense going and allowing us to set that tempo. -Flacco
    Great to hear. The rest of the OL is pretty solid, so it would be great if Gino could make all of those line calls this year. Lining up between KO and Yanda is going to be a huge help for him too.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Flacco impressed with Gino Gradkowski so far

Exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear about our center.
    To me, that was the number one question mark on the offense.
    With a great line in place and winning in the trenches, it opens up the entire offense.
    Giving Joe the time back there to pick defenses apart and help our young receivers gain the advantage to get open, will mean everything.

Blog Entries

GG was a surprise when he was drafted (there were several higher rated Centers available at the time), but Ozzie surprises us (usually to the Ravens benefit). I'd like to believe Birk's "smarts" were somewhat transferred to Gino in 2012/13, and he will continue to thrive along with Flacco for years to come... Bc

Blog Entries

The move of Kelechi Osemele to LG helped preserve Birk's ability for a strong postseason run. There is little reason to think that Gradkowski cannot soon improve on that himself. From a physical standpoint, Birk was on the decline. The Gradkowski is a younger player, but considered an intelligent prospect. The Ravens weren't the only high profile team that had him so highly rated.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Flacco is just saying, "I've got your back", to a fellow Blue Hen.

HE'S STILL TOO SMALL :grbac:

I think it's fair to be concerned about his size, though I certainly wouldn't condemn him over it. Especially before we've even seen much play from him.

If Gino can pick up the offense and handle the calls quickly during games, that will be to his benefit. That's a big part of our executing the no-huddle, which can tire out some of those bid DT's that will be lining up across from him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The move of Kelechi Osemele to LG helped preserve Birk's ability for a strong postseason run. There is little reason to think that Gradkowski cannot soon improve on that himself. From a physical standpoint, Birk was on the decline. The Gradkowski is a younger player, but considered an intelligent prospect. The Ravens weren't the only high profile team that had him so highly rated.
    Playing between Yanda and KO is definitely a big factor in Gino's favor. If he can just be competent in his run and pass blocking I think that would be enough. His ability to quickly and effective communicate to his line mates with a strong understanding of the offense is IMO the most important factor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    GG was a surprise when he was drafted (there were several higher rated Centers available at the time), but Ozzie surprises us (usually to the Ravens benefit). I'd like to believe Birk's "smarts" were somewhat transferred to Gino in 2012/13, and he will continue to thrive along with Flacco for years to come... Bc
    DeCosta said they rated Gino higher than some of those
    guys drafted before him.

The thing is, can he block and get into the second level.
    He did in Cinci when he started vs their starters but that
    was just one game. His size concerns a lot of fans as
    we've had that argument before.

Blog Entries

At the combine Gino was 6'3" 300lbs.

I know some think that may be a bit on the small side for an NFL center, and in some regards, it is. However, Birk was only an inch taller and about 10lbs heavier.

There is nothing that Gino can do about the height, but I'd like to think that after an entire season and off-season with an NFL diet, NFL strength coaches, and an NFL weight room, he has gotten stronger and may have bumped up his overall body weight a bit.

Furthermore, playing center (as well as other line positions) is more about technique than size. Just look at how poorly Terrance Cody (6'4" 340lbs) did against Chris Myers (6'3" 290lbs) last year when the Ravens and Texans played each other.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Good points on last line.

I'll hold judgement til I see for myself. I liked what he did in Cinci but
    neither team was trying to win that one.

Blog Entries

The lack of height can actually lend itself to leverage, with the proper technique.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore