Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    I agree with you about Ogletree having the highest upside, but the issue with him is he looks to much like a safety playing ILB for my liking. He is not skilled at taking on blocks because he just isn't physical enough. He lets lineman take him out of the whole way too easily. Brown is similar but seems to be more adept at going around blocks than Ogletree.

However, I still wouldn't mind taking him at 32 because of his pass defense. After watching tape, to me it seems obvious that Ogletree is by far the best pass defending ILB in the draft. So with that and our revamped D-Line I guess I wouldn't mind taking him despite his weakness against the run.
    With a beefed up DL (+1 one more via the Draft, I'm sure), Ogletree shouldn't be exposed as much. Or that would be the plan...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    I agree with you about Ogletree having the highest upside, but the issue with him is he looks to much like a safety playing ILB for my liking. He is not skilled at taking on blocks because he just isn't physical enough. He lets lineman take him out of the whole way too easily. Brown is similar but seems to be more adept at going around blocks than Ogletree.

However, I still wouldn't mind taking him at 32 because of his pass defense. After watching tape, to me it seems obvious that Ogletree is by far the best pass defending ILB in the draft. So with that and our revamped D-Line I guess I wouldn't mind taking him despite his weakness against the run.
    Those weaknesses can be coached. The physical side of his game is a little over blown IMO. He can still make some big physical plays, and he's physically capable of taking up blocks, its just he's inexperienced at the posistion. Get him under a linebacker coachign staff like ours, and seriously, you could be seeing a very very good player in the NFL. He was far from perfect against Alabama, but he had a much better game than both Te'o and Minter playing against the same team, and there were some plays were he absolutely stood out even in the run game at times.

Hey fellas, it's a safety here in shitsburgh getting some buzz. Rontez Miles from California Pa. I'm guess a day 3 player, but I'm hearing he is a solid player. Anybody can get a opinion on him? I'm thinking we will add at least one more safety will he be a pick worth taking late.

And is it true that the first round picks has a fifth year option only? I'm asking because I'm thinking of some teams would rather trade back up in that round to at least get a QB with 5 years to see if he works instead of four solid years.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Those weaknesses can be coached. The physical side of his game is a little over blown IMO. He can still make some big physical plays, and he's physically capable of taking up blocks, its just he's inexperienced at the posistion. Get him under a linebacker coachign staff like ours, and seriously, you could be seeing a very very good player in the NFL. He was far from perfect against Alabama, but he had a much better game than both Te'o and Minter playing against the same team, and there were some plays were he absolutely stood out even in the run game at times.
    Yeah I realize that too and it's why I have gone back and forth in this. It's just, having played linebacker all my life through high school, it seems tough for a guy to learn how to be a physical player in the box. That's all will, not technique.

It wasn't just in the Alabama game, it showed in every tape. I also believed that Minter was the best out of three in the game with Te'o being the worst.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I remember last year PFT had a list of player who had private workouts/ visits with players...do you know of another site that does that this year Leach?
    Unfortunately, I don't know how much the list serves as an indicator of true interest.

2012:
    +Oklahoma State offensive tackle Levy Adcock (?/?).

Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks (?/?).

LSU cornerback Ron Brooks (3/30).

*North Carolina linebacker Zach Brown (4/?).

+Delaware guard/center Gino Gradkowski (?/?).

Oregon State cornerback Brandon Hardin (?/?).

Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill (4/5).

Pittsburgh cornerback Buddy Jackson (3/30).

Illinois receiver A.J. Jenkins (4/4).

Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson (4/?).

*Georgia center Ben Jones (?/?).

California linebacker Mychal Kendricks (4/?).

Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (?/?).

Wisconsin center Peter Konz (4/?).

*Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead (4/4).

*USC defensive end Nick Perry (3/?).

Central Florida cornerback Josh Robinson (3/30).

UCLA receiver Nelson Rosario (4/3).

Syracuse safety Phillip Thomas (3/30).

*Texas kicker Justin Tucker (4/24).

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner (?/?).

*Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler (?/?).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rkout-tracker/

Out of all these visits we only drafted 2 out of the 22 names listed. Hard to glean info from that.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know how much the list serves as an indicator of true interest.

2012:
    +Oklahoma State offensive tackle Levy Adcock (?/?). undrafted

Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks (?/?). 3.13

LSU cornerback Ron Brooks (3/30). 4.29

*North Carolina linebacker Zach Brown (4/?). 2.20

+Delaware guard/center Gino Gradkowski (?/?).

Oregon State cornerback Brandon Hardin (?/?). 3.16

Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill (4/5). 2.11

Pittsburgh cornerback Buddy Jackson (3/30). undrafted

Illinois receiver A.J. Jenkins (4/4). 1.30

Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson (4/?). 7.29

*Georgia center Ben Jones (?/?). 4.4

California linebacker Mychal Kendricks (4/?). 2.14

Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (?/?). 1.17

Wisconsin center Peter Konz (4/?). 2.23

*Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead (4/4). 2.18

*USC defensive end Nick Perry (3/?). 1.28

Central Florida cornerback Josh Robinson (3/30). 3.3

UCLA receiver Nelson Rosario (4/3). undrafted

Syracuse safety Phillip Thomas (3/30). undrafted

*Texas kicker Justin Tucker (4/24).

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner (?/?). 2.15

*Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler (?/?). 1.27

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rkout-tracker/

Out of all these visits we only drafted 2 out of the 22 names listed. Hard to glean info from that.
    I inserted where the players were picked. We can see 3/22 were picked before their original slot in round 1. 1 more before their 1st actual pick. And 6 more were off the board before their 2nd pick. It's possible they were anticipating trading down (most likely if Zeitler or Kirkpatrick didn't fall) and were targeting guys depending on what kind of pick they ended up with in the 2nd.

In the case of Gradkowski, we know that they liked him more than Jones since they drafted him the pick before Jones went. 6 of 22 guys they met with were OL, which makes sense with Grubbs hitting FA and Birk's impending retirement. They ended up using 2 of their first 4 picks on O-Line players. And all but Adcock were gone in the first 4 rounds.

They targeted 3 LBs they liked, all of whom went before their 2nd pick...though they had just taken Upshaw.

6 other of the 22 guys were secondary guys (5 CBs & 1 S). Their 5th & 6th picks were secondary guys in rounds 4-5. 2 of the guys they brought in went undrafted. Kirkpatrick went in the first. And the other 3 went in rounds 3-4. With the exception of Kirkpatrick, it seems like they were targeting mid-late round guys.

Maybe instead of looking at who specifically they are interested in, we can look at what types of guys they're looking at positionally and where those guys sit in the consensus ranks to get a feel of how they see their draft progressing.

Walter's site lists 42 guys they met with so far. They've met with 9 OL (most valued in the 1st 5 rounds), 8 WRs (mostly mid-later round guys), 8 DL/DEs (values all over...but ends seem to be higher round guys, while the interior guys seem to be later round guys), 6 Secondary guys (5 S predominantly 1st 4 rounds outside of Earl Wolff), 4 ILBs (Ogletree, Minter, Reddick all early round guys and Beauharnais a 5th type guy), 2 TEs (later round guys), 3 RBs (later round guys), 1 FB, and 1 K.

Every one has already ruled out RB as an early pick, but I would add WR and TE to that list too. My guess is we don't see a WR taken until the 4th-5th. What I would see happening is they trade back into the second and with 2 2nd round picks get the best values at ILB/DE/OT/S, most likely in that order. Whichever position is not addressed here between ILB/OT/S will be in rounds 3 or 4 depending on value against WR. This would seem obvious as they are the 3 biggest needs on the team, but here we can see a correlation between meetings last year and this year as far as percentage at position overall combined with target area. If their trading partner has an early 2, I'm thinking Minter, then OL and then Swearinger or Evans in 4 with BPA in 3, possibly WR or DE... but the more towards the middle of 2 the pick gets, the more I'd lean towards 2 of DE, OT or S and figure they would try to move around in 3 to grab Reddick...hopefully from a 2nd mid-round pick in 3.

I may be rambling at this point...but the goal with the meetings is to provide a general structure with room for fluidity and movement. Oz makes this shit into a Martial Art.

Watched more of Kiko Alonso yesterday and the more i see the more i like. He's kinda a mix between Minter and Ogletree. He attacks downhill ferociously versus the run and as a-gap blitzer like Minter. He also very comfortable in coverage, understands route concepts, can redirect, etc. He's still a bit stiff in the hips compared to an Ogleetree but his instincts and straight line speed make up for it in coverage. He's becoming one of my favorite prospects in this draft(thanks to leach lol) and would be a nice late 2nd early 3rd round pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Maybe instead of looking at who specifically they are interested in, we can look at what types of guys they're looking at positionally and where those guys sit in the consensus ranks to get a feel of how they see their draft progressing.

Walter's site lists 42 guys they met with so far. They've met with 9 OL (most valued in the 1st 5 rounds), 8 WRs (mostly mid-later round guys), 8 DL/DEs (values all over...but ends seem to be higher round guys, while the interior guys seem to be later round guys), 6 Secondary guys (5 S predominantly 1st 4 rounds outside of Earl Wolff), 4 ILBs (Ogletree, Minter, Reddick all early round guys and Beauharnais a 5th type guy), 2 TEs (later round guys), 3 RBs (later round guys), 1 FB, and 1 K.
    You might be on to something. The quantity with which we meet certain positions could be showing our hand. But some of it is obvious too - most people know the holes that need to be filled.

I would just like to know how much teams play the smokescreen game. How much do they want to show their hand? Would they really waste time showing fake interest in certain players?

Blog Entries

What I'm hoping for in the first three rounds atm....

Not taking potential trades into account...

32. Alec Ogletree

62. DeAndre Hopkins

94. DJ Swearinger

That's pretty much every need addressed. Hopkins will provide legit competition for Doss, and Jones. Swearinger will compete with Ihedigbo, and Thompson, and Ogletree will compete for a starting job with McClain, McClellan and Bynes. I expect us to re-sign McKinnie, if not, we'll likely have to draft a guard. Every other position on the roster is pretty much sorted.

Oakland, Arizona and Buffalo are all making moves to sure up there QB positions. I am starting to think this may be the year that the QB position does not have anyone drafted in the top half. Most of the teams that really need a QB are at the top half of the draft. One team may grab Geno but even that is not a lock.

This could be good for the Ravens as these teams may look to trade up into the back of the 1st round to grab a guy before all the QB needy teams draft in the top of the 2nd. Unless there is a real surprise still available at 32 I would really like to see the Ravens drop back 10 picks and get an extra pick.

My thought(and my hope lol) is that the Ravens are kinda letting Mckinnie stew, the longer he's out on the market with minimal interest the more the price tag drops. The situation is unique because even tho he's up in age he's still a pretty solid LT but the work ethic and weight issues he's had in the past haunt his stock now. If they can get him re-signed that takes a huge load off and they can be aggressive in the first half of the draft at ILB, WR and S. Leach your top 3 looks good, mines under that scenario would probably be something like Alonso, Swearinger and Da'Rick Rogers. This would be after a trade down and then a trade back up.