Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Baltimore Ravens in 2012

Now that I'm somewhat over the loss in NE, I'm ready to move on and focus on next season. That being said, how this team approaches the offseason will go a long way towards defining who it will be in 2012. I liken this team to the 2001 Maryland Terrapins basketball team that lost a bitterly contested game to their nemesis, the Duke Blue Devils in the Final Four, after leading at one point 41-14, I believe, during that game. I remember the leaders on that team, Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter, looking crushed after the game and thinking to myself that there went their best chance at a National Championship. But thankfully I was proven wrong as those leaders used that loss as fuel to drive them to the title during the following season. When the Ravens lost Sunday, I had that same feeling as I had watching Maryland 11 years ago. But after hearing Ray Lewis address the team afterward, I think they'll be alright.

Re: Baltimore Ravens in 2012

The Ravens will stay in contention for a championship in the foreseeable future. Ozzie & Steve won't let this team fall off the map. I just hate having to wait another 8 months for football again.
    90% of the game is half mental

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Now that I'm somewhat over the loss in NE, I'm ready to move on and focus on next season. That being said, how this team approaches the offseason will go a long way towards defining who it will be in 2012. I liken this team to the 2001 Maryland Terrapins basketball team that lost a bitterly contested game to their nemesis, the Duke Blue Devils in the Final Four, after leading at one point 41-14, I believe, during that game. I remember the leaders on that team, Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter, looking crushed after the game and thinking to myself that there went their best chance at a National Championship. But thankfully I was proven wrong as those leaders used that loss as fuel to drive them to the title during the following season. When the Ravens lost Sunday, I had that same feeling as I had watching Maryland 11 years ago. But after hearing Ray Lewis address the team afterward, I think they'll be alright.
    The analogy that keeps me off the bridge is the 1982 Orioles, who lost to the Brewers in the final game of the season. They came back the next year highly motivated to take things to the next level, and won it all.

I was overseas that winter and remember an International Herald Tribune article by Tom Boswell talking about Flanny and Dempsey throwing in the tunnel under Memorial Stadium, before going down to FL for training camp.

I felt good vibes then; I feel them again.

BS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    The analogy that keeps me off the bridge is the 1982 Orioles, who lost to the Brewers in the final game of the season. They came back the next year highly motivated to take things to the next level, and won it all.

I was overseas that winter and remember an International Herald Tribune article by Tom Boswell talking about Flanny and Dempsey throwing in the tunnel under Memorial Stadium, before going down to FL for training camp.

I felt good vibes then; I feel them again.

BS
    Good point. As bad as that loss was for the Ravens, there too many strong leaders (Lewis, Reed, etc) to let them fall off next year. Reports are coming already that Dixon is going to work in the offseason on fixing the dropped passes. T. Smith is only going to get better. McPhee, J. Smith, Webb, Pitta, Rice and most of all, Flacco are all good young veterans who are still getting better. That's a scary thought for the rest of the division.

I see Baltimore as a 10-6 playoff team, probably one and done. Pittsburgh will be healthy next season so they will take back the division. The D of Baltimore slowly gets a bit worse as Ray Lewis is definetly showing his age, and the Flacco led offense (average) will come up short against the top tier teams in the playoffs. They will always be fairly close, but not enough fire power to put them over the top.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DBK11 View Post
    I see Baltimore as a 10-6 playoff team, probably one and done. Pittsburgh will be healthy next season so they will take back the division. The D of Baltimore slowly gets a bit worse as Ray Lewis is definetly showing his age, and the Flacco led offense (average) will come up short against the top tier teams in the playoffs. They will always be fairly close, but not enough fire power to put them over the top.
    I wish there was an emoticon for delusional.

Good luck with that Cap nightmare.

We have been overrun by ignorant trolls.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

To get back on topic, it seems clear that this team is a perennial ten-win team, even with the flaws that we sometimes harp on. The team could see decent improvement from the develop of the younger players alone.

I appreciate the reality that whether or not this team will make the playoffs, isn't even a question at this point. However, I really believe that this offense is going to have to take on a new mentality, if they are to win it all.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I hope they get a better Oline coach and find a long term solution at LT. A solid Oline could be the thing they need to get over the top

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I hope they get a better Oline coach and find a long term solution at LT. A solid Oline could be the thing they need to get over the top
    I agree.

McKinnie was ok, but he still got Flacco killed a lot. Same with Oher. Grubbs is a FA and hopefully will stay, but I'm not confident that will happen. Someone will sincerely overpay for him. Birk got destroyed in the playoffs and really needs to retire. Yanda was probably the best OL'man, but that's not saying much.

REALLY hope Jah Reid can turn into a good RT.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    We have been overrun by ignorant trolls.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    I'm a troll because I pick the Ravens to be 10-6 and a playoff team? Just curious, do you feel they should be the favorite to win it all? I'm guessing the Vegas over/under on the Ravens will be about 10, seems like you need to be so sensitive, not really see how that was an unrealistic pick for 2012.

Blog Entries

I'm a troll because I pick the Ravens to be 10-6 and a playoff team? Just curious, do you feel they should be the favorite to win it all? I'm guessing the Vegas over/under on the Ravens will be about 10, seems like you need to be so sensitive, not really see how that was an unrealistic pick for 2012.
    Your indication that the offense with Flacco is average is factually incorrect. That's why you're trolling. You're making baseless statements.

Considering the amount of dropped passes from this offense and Flacco still finished 12th overall in yards in a season with passers exceeding 5000 yards is incredible. Even more impressive was that he was still in the top 1/2 of the league in QB rating for QB's that threw at least 350 passes this season.

It's far from average.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.