Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The two greatest post-seasons in NFL history: Joe Montana (1989) vs Joe Flacco (2012). Which was better?

I could make a pretty strong case for either one, really. Joe Montana was the most efficient, to be sure, accomplishing his 11 TDs and 0 INTs in about 40 fewer passes than Flacco. He also had 300 fewer yards or so, but works out to about the same yards per attempt as Flacco. His yards per completion was 12.3, and Flacco's was 15.6, so Flacco definitely relied more on making the big play, and it resulted in no shortage of spectacular highlight reel plays, while Montana had a couple of those, most of his throws were routine and efficient, not spectacular and unlikely.

What kind of road did they have to take to get to their eye-popping stat lines?

1989 49ers - 3 Games

2 games at home, 0 on the road
    Defense allowed 26 points (8.7 points per game)
    Defense allowed 708 yards (236 yards per game)
    Defense had 12 takeaways (4 per game)
    Defense allowed less than 4 yards per play
    Defense held opposing QBs to: 58/119, 615 Yards, 0 TD, 9 INT = 48.7%, 5.17 Y/A, 32.7 QB Rating
    Running game support: 153 yards per game, 1.25 TDs per game, over 4.2 yards per carry, 21.8 carries per TD

2012 Ravens - 4 Games

1 game at home, 2 on the road
    Defense allowed 88 points (22 points per game)
    Defense allowed 1713 yards (428.3 yards per game)
    Defense had 10 takeaways (2.5 per game)
    Defense allowed more than 5.4 yards per play
    Defense held opposing QBs to: 101/179, 1146 Yards, 5 TD, 6 INT = 56.4%, 6.40 Y/A, 71.1 QB Rating
    Running game support: 131 yards per game, 0.75 TDs per game, under 4.1 yards per carry, 42.7 carries per TD

Obviously the fact that Joe Flacco had to play 2 of his games on the road adds a lot more impressive flair to his résumé than Montana not having to go on the road at all. The difference in defense is also staggering. 4 takeaways per game for the 49ers in HUGE. 236 yards per game and less than 4 yards per play allowed is also a monstrous achievement for that defense. And then he also got more efficiency out of his running backs.

These factors all certainly make it easier on a quarterback. I wish I could have found drive info on the 1989 games, like starting field position for each drive, etc., but I couldn't find it. Given the takeaways and extremely stingy defense that the 49ers had in those playoffs, I'd wager that Montana was given very favorable field position throughout. Flacco was definitely not given favorable field position in his games, and he was forced to do more work, throw the ball more, and put the games in his hands. Montana just cruised along while all his supporting pieces and defense played at an equally high level to his own performance, which makes it easier on everyone when the whole team is working like a well oiled machine.

Given all that, I'd honestly have to say that in my opinion Flacco had the most impressive post-season in NFL history, but it's damn close to Montana's nearly statistically perfect 1989.

Re: The two greatest post-seasons in NFL history: Joe Montana (1989) vs Joe Flacco (2012). Which was better?

Some other interesting facts about this post-season that highlight just how extraordinary it was, what Flacco did:

- Highest passer rating in a 4 game post-season in NFL history (117.2).
    - First QB with a 100+ QB Rating in 4 games in a single post-season.
    - Highest passer rating in the Super Bowl out of any Super Bowl performance by active QB's (Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Manning, etc. all included).
    - 11 touchdowns, no INTs for only the second time in NFL history.
    - Most pass attempts without an INT in a single post-season in NFL history (Second: Drew Brees 102 in 2009).
    - Most consecutive pass attempts without an INT in a single post-season in NFL history (Second: Eli Manning 112 in 2011).
    - 88 points allowed in the post season is the most ever allowed by a Super Bowl winning team.
    - 1713 yards allowed in the post-season is the most ever allowed (second most was 1403 by '87 Broncos, who lost the Super Bowl).
    - 31 points allowed by his defense in the Super Bowl is tied with the '78 Steelers for most ever allowed by a Super Bowl winning team.
    - 468 yards allowed by his defense is the most ever allowed in a Super Bowl (winning or losing team).
    - 2.66 yards per carry and no touchdowns from his running backs in the Super Bowl is the 2nd fewest yards per carry with no touchdowns in the Super Bowl ever, behind only the 2.23 yards per carry and no touchdowns by the '99 Rams.

Blog Entries

Re: The two greatest post-seasons in NFL history: Joe Montana (1989) vs Joe Flacco (2012). Which was better?

love Joe Flacco, but Montana's was better, imo. I get the argument that his importance towards the win may have been not as needed, their defense was apparently a lot better, but i dont think that diminishes what he did accomplish offensively. Really nitpicking two great performances either way but to me 11TDs in 3 games is a good bit more than 11 in 4 games.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Not even being a homer, but I think Flacco's performance bested Montana's. You gotta think that the 1989 49'ers were ridiculously stacked with talent. It was before the salary cap started in the NFL, and the 49'ers were able to stack their team. It doesn't diminish Montana's talent, but he definitely had the better team to work with.

Ok, but we are talking about Joe Montana here. Arguably top 5 all time QB. I love that Flacco tied his record this year, and I think Flacco is on the rise to get into the conversation of those kind of guys. But the nod still goes to Joe M for me. Especially rewatching the superbowl that year on NFLN.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Flacco's 2012 was far greater than Montana's 1989. That's not even in question. The 49ers outscored their opponents 126-26 and outclassed their opponents at literally every position on offense, defense, and special teams. The '89 49ers defense was one of the greatest defenses of all time. Your stats tell the rest of the story perfectly.

Now, let's give Montana his due. His 1989 wasn't as good as Flacco's 2012, but Montana had a passer rating over 100 in every playoff game he played in 3 straight years which included TWO title runs. That (among other things) is why he's one of the greatest of all time.

Not to diminish Flacco's, but Montana threw those TD's in one less game and completed 79% of his passes. I gotta say Montana. That said, I'm sure happy we've got our Joe and I'll roll with him anytime.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Not even being a homer, but I think Flacco's performance bested Montana's. You gotta think that the 1989 49'ers were ridiculously stacked with talent. It was before the salary cap started in the NFL, and the 49'ers were able to stack their team. It doesn't diminish Montana's talent, but he definitely had the better team to work with.
    That was going to be my argument. That 49er team was sickly stacked. The cap may have been in place, but iirc they got in trouble for circumventing it later on.

So while Montana was the best QB i ever saw, and his best was flawless, if the question is which run was most impressive, I choose Flacco. Flacco did not have as much to work with, and he had to do it 4 times, including on the road as huge underdogs. If it was a tie going in, I think the tiebreaker has to be "the throw" in Denver. The FS got a lot of blame for that throw, and he did misjudge the ball badly, but how high did that thing go in the air and how long was it up there? Those seconds the ball was in the air seemed like they lasted a lot longer than usual.

:T2:

I think that Flacco's 2012 postseason was better than Montana's 89 for a couple of reasons. Namely, the Ravens were huge underdogs, and really up against it against Denver. The miracle bomb in Denver kinda seals it for me. Flacco didn't just put up the great stats, he made HUGE plays with the game in the balance against formidable opponents. Montana was more like a god smiting down upon weaker foes, in perfect fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post

1989 49ers - 3 Games

2 games at home, 0 on the road
    Defense allowed 26 points (8.7 points per game)
    Defense allowed 708 yards (236 yards per game)
    Defense had 12 takeaways (4 per game)
    Defense allowed less than 4 yards per play
    Defense held opposing QBs to: 58/119, 615 Yards, 0 TD, 9 INT = 48.7%, 5.17 Y/A, 32.7 QB Rating
    Running game support: 153 yards per game, 1.25 TDs per game, over 4.2 yards per carry, 21.8 carries per
    Holy Crap! They didn't allow a passing TD? That is just silly!

As far as whose was better, if you take in consideration how each teams defenses were playing, the fact that Flacco was on the road for 2 of 3 before the SB and that our Joe's status as a QB was in doubt by at least SOME of the media/fans/pundits, I would say that Flacco's was at least the most jaw dropping if not the better over all performance.

Kind of like deciding who has the better filet mignon, Morton's or Fleming's ...

Joe M. get's the nod, IMO. This is going to come down to the age of the poster. The fact Montana did it with one fewer game stands out as the separating factor.

Blog Entries

I can say as a former 49er fans and now current Raven fan and steadfast Joe Flacco backer, you guys are nuts. I watched all those games and Montana was a razor. No need to speak of what the defenses were doing, nor special teams, or lucky get up and runs like Jacoby had, Joe Montana was not just cool, razor sharp, but ridiculously efficient in a time when defenses were allowed inter-fear a great deal more than they are today.

You are being clear homers if you think Montana is anything but #1 in this instance.