Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Conservative trashed DHS report now looking pretty accurate

New Orleans should not be rebuilt because it sits 20 feet below sea level, next a levy that only withstands a Cat 3 hurricane and is sandwiched between one of the countries largest lakes and the Gulf of Mexico.

Conservatives could give a rats ass about what goes on in the city itself. I have been to Mardi Gras and it aint all that.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    New Orleans should not be rebuilt because it sits 20 feet below sea level, next a levy that only withstands a Cat 3 hurricane and is sandwiched between one of the countries largest lakes and the Gulf of Mexico.

Conservatives could give a rats ass about what goes on in the city itself. I have been to Mardi Gras and it aint all that.
    Thanks HR for bringing some reason and common sense to the argument. It's in short supply around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    It's entirely skirting the issue, and evidently makes YOU and others feel good about all the damage we have done, as well. I mean, what is that, like buying carbon credits? .... And if we can rebuild the rest of the world, why can't we rebuild New Orleans?... Is it because the religious right doesn't think that a town that "sinful" needs to exist?
    It is the WHOLE ISSUE. Other countries hate us because we help people other then them. When their turn comes along they forget about it in short order. So you are worried abotu people's feelings, and I'm talkign abotu Action. No other country in the world will contribute a rebuilding effort like the US, and no other country will liberate people from Tyrranny like the US.

Carbon credits, much like Manmade Global warming are nothign mroe then a get rich quick scheme by Al Gore, now set to make MANY BILLIONS on Carbon Credits.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Thanks HR for bringing some reason and common sense to the argument. It's in short supply around here.
    You're easily impressed JB. The guy bases his whole opinion of New Orleans on going to Mardi Gras and you see that as common sense? Its like saying "France sucks, I've been to the Eiffel Tower and it wasn't all that" "England sucks man, Big Ben was dumb".

You guys are completely naive to the american tragedy that it was when the Lower 9th Ward was flooded, people died and a distinct american culture was splintered across the nation. "I've been to Mardi Gras, it ain't all that". I sit here wishing I had the ability to sum up how arrogant and ignorant that comment is. I don't have it in me. Just another example of Mr. Mendoza.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    You're easily impressed JB. The guy bases his whole opinion of New Orleans on going to Mardi Gras and you see that as common sense? Its like saying "France sucks, I've been to the Eiffel Tower and it wasn't all that" "England sucks man, Big Ben was dumb".

You guys are completely naive to the american tragedy that it was when the Lower 9th Ward was flooded, people died and a distinct american culture was splintered across the nation. "I've been to Mardi Gras, it ain't all that". I sit here wishing I had the ability to sum up how arrogant and ignorant that comment is. I don't have it in me. Just another example of Mr. Mendoza.
    I guess that rebuilding N.O could be considered a shovel ready use for tax-payer money eh? Two options are to build a futuristic floating city or to raise the whole city about 29 feet. Sound like Obama like tasks to me. I wonder where they will get the dirt from, my guess is the middle east.

Where did I say New Orleans sucks? You know what happens when you assume. Or maybe you dont.

I have been to the New Orleans area many times for work, the GF is from Lafayette and has family in Baton Rouge. The Mardi Gras comment was towards Roch for his comments about conservatives. You get no argument from me about the cajun culture being splintered acorss the country -- its still no reason to put a city in the direct path of Katrina happening again.

You dont have it in you because you dont anything to offer. You, once again, read into something I said, using your typical bias you show everyone else here who disagrees with you.

You have a prejudice. It's towards folks whom do not share your left view points. Dont fret though, we're all used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I wonder where they will get the dirt from, my guess is the middle east.
    No blood for dirt! ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    It's entirely skirting the issue, and evidently makes YOU and others feel good about all the damage we have done, as well. I mean, what is that, like buying carbon credits? .... And if we can rebuild the rest of the world, why can't we rebuild New Orleans?... Is it because the religious right doesn't think that a town that "sinful" needs to exist?
    You have no fucking clue what you're talking about!

The money is there, but "the Chocolate City" mayor and his cronies have made the red tape unbearable for the average citizen. Look at it like an objective observer and do some real investigating of the situation....

Blog Entries

People wouldn't have died had their local and state governments done what was needed. It wasn't an earthquake. It was a god-damned Hurricane that they knew was gonna be an asskicker and they watched it for a fucking week!!

There is no excuse for not getting the people out when you see these pictures. You can't blame Bush for this because anybody that knows anything about the separation of State and Federal powers knows what needs to happen before the Federal government comes in.......you can't argue these pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    People wouldn't have died had their local and state governments done what was needed. It wasn't an earthquake. It was a god-damned Hurricane that they knew was gonna be an asskicker and they watched it for a fucking week!!

There is no excuse for not getting the people out when you see these pictures. You can't blame Bush for this because anybody that knows anything about the separation of State and Federal powers knows what needs to happen before the Federal government comes in.......you can't argue these pictures!!

The pictures prove nothing. Hurricanes have been hitting N.O. forever. Most Adults living in N.O. have lived through many hurricanes w/o incident. There are a few facts that Rush has probably neglected to tell you...(yeah I know, you don't listen to Rush).

Here are the reasons people were not on the buses:

1. As said before, most have lived through numerous hurricanes w/o incident. They didn't see this as any different.

2. People in the lower 9th are sceptical about the government and typically don't trust the goverment when they are asked to abandon their homes for undetermined periods of time.

3. People were worried about looting if the hurricane did hit and wanted to stay behind to protect their homes and belongings.

4. If you remember, it wasn't the hurricane per se that caused the unprecedented damage...the lower 9th actually survived the brunt...it was the levees breaking that caused the damage.

CNN was showing footage from the moment the levees broke and the city was flooded. It took over 48 hours for any kind of organized relief effort. N.O. was reduced to a 3rd world nation status for months.

There was no medical care. Common Ground, Doctors without Borders and various volunteer organizations were the only people on the ground. I was there after the levee break and was working in a clinic put together by Common Ground. I was witnessing local residents coming in the clinic sick and trying to get medications. They were being seen through Doctors Without Borders who spoke no English! I was doing my best to determine their symptoms and try to pass it onto doctors that were from Africa and spoke no english at all so they could prescribe meds. The clinic was full of unmedicated diabetics, schizophrenics and withdrawing opiate addicts. There wasn't a medical doctor who spoke english in the building.

Meanwhile the local police would drive by slowly trying to intimidate the people running the clinic because they would take breaks to film the arrests that were occuring illegally. It was so volatile that I was the last psychologist to work at this clinic as ordered by the federal agency that put me there.

Your photos are classic "blaming the victim". Most people did leave but unfortunately many stayed for the reasons I mentioned. There were also many that didn't pay attention to the media at all and as a result, were not aware of what the radar was showing.

The fact was the problem was too big for a city that was infrastructurally challenged to begin with and yes that is a state problem. But upon recognition of how bad it was, your boy "W" was cutting a birthday cake not giving a rat ass about the people in N.O. The tragedy was as bad a 9-11 and "W" was out at ground zero within a day talking. There was no response in N.O. at all.

The truth is the way "W" handled Katrina was really how he handled this country as a whole for 8 years.

To show pictures of buses really shows a naive understanding of the situation.
    Last edited by Galen Sevinne; 06-22-2009 at 07:43 AM.