Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens road woes on offense should be blamed on Harbaugh

I've got to watch a few regional televised games of the Ravens this year. 2 at M&T and 2 away. While the Ravens offense looks like juggernauts at home, that same offense looks confused, inept and unsure when playing away. To their credit the team has pulled out the close games on the road with wins. If the Ravens manage to get home field through out in the playoffs they will be a pain in the ass to beat at the vault. If they have to go on the road to Houston, Denver or New England I seem them getting bounced out on their ass.

The coaching staff does not seem to have a lot of confidence in Flacco at times, especially on the road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Going forward we'll try and post content that no one reads.
    I'll be holding you to that...:p

Seriously, Tony, everyone's page views--even the best Crow forum in existence--go down between the Great American Pig-Out & Jesus' Birthday (Observed). It's a function of too frakkin' much to do & it affects every entertainment venue that ain't dressed in a Sanity Clause suit & shaking jangle bells. Stay classy, suck it up for the duration & eschew clickwhoring, why doncha? Yule ;) be better off in the long run...

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    I've got to watch a few regional televised games of the Ravens this year. 2 at M&T and 2 away. While the Ravens offense looks like juggernauts at home, that same offense looks confused, inept and unsure when playing away. To their credit the team has pulled out the close games on the road with wins. If the Ravens manage to get home field through out in the playoffs they will be a pain in the ass to beat at the vault. If they have to go on the road to Houston, Denver or New England I seem them getting bounced out on their ass.

The coaching staff does not seem to have a lot of confidence in Flacco at times, especially on the road.
    That's the way it appears and you have to wonder why.

My point in the column is along these lines...

Let's say you own a store and you are aware that the manager you've hired doesn't exactly share the same customer focus that helped build your store.

Yet he keeps on doing it and you do nothing about it.

The lack of action on your part suggests that you endorse the behavior of your manager.

The same in my opinion, check that, my "joke claim" is true of Harbaugh and the Ravens offense on the road.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I'll be holding you to that...:p

Seriously, Tony, everyone's page views--even the best Crow forum in existence--go down between the Great American Pig-Out & Jesus' Birthday (Observed). It's a function of too frakkin' much to do & it affects every entertainment venue that ain't dressed in a Sanity Clause suit & shaking jangle bells. Stay classy, suck it up for the duration & eschew clickwhoring, why doncha? Yule ;) be better off in the long run...
    So I shouldn't post my opinions in blogs anymore?
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Let's say you own a store and you are aware that the manager you've hired doesn't exactly share the same customer focus that helped build your store.

The lack of action on your part suggests that you endorse the behavior of your manager.

The same in my opinion, check that, my "joke claim" is true of Harbaugh and the Ravens offense on the road.
    I've been saying this for 2 years. Harbaugh is really risking his credibilty. Either trust Joe or get somebody that you do.

Posted this on another thread--seems appropriate here as well. Flacco's career passer rating at home and on road:

2008 rating at home: 66.8 2008 rating on road: 91.7 Overall rating for year: 80.0.
    2009 rating at home: 101.5 2009 rating on road: 75.8 Overall rating for year: 88.9
    2010 rating at home: 104.2 2010 rating on road: 84.7 Overall rating for year: 93.5.
    2011 rating at home: 84.2 2011 rating on road: 78.2 Overall rating for year: 81.0.
    2012 rating at home: 108.2 2012 rating on road: 65.2 Overall rating for year: 87.2.
    Career at home: 93.0 Career on road: 79.9 Career overall: 86.1

I don't know why the above numbers are the way they are, but it's inarguable that the passing offense for four years running has been extremely inconsistent on the road. More to the point, it isn't getting better.

So, I can see using the above as a pretty good excuse for playing not to lose on the road. The Steelers game is a good example, and the last playoff game the Ravens lost at Heinz field can be taken as example of why you should occasionally play to not lose.

The fact that the road passing offense isn't getting better is extremely concerning going forward, though. It indicates (to me, at least) that there's a systemic problem somewhere. While I'm not as quick to blame Cameron as many here are, I wish the Ravens had made a change last year just to see how Flacco did with a different coordinator, so that we could prove or eliminate the OC as the problem.

Bottom line is, there isn't another passing offense in the league with such an enormous disparity in home vs road performance. I don't know what the problem is, but I doubt it's a one-step fix.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    Ravens fans love Flacco, unless they are trying to drum up hits to their website.

Dickson can never be counted on as a "100%" completion. He's the least reliable receiver on this team.
    Thanks for posting this.

Dickson is not a 100% guarantee.

Tony - if it were Pitta or Boldin, he may have thrown it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

They sure seemed to trust him last year in the road...in Pittaburgh...on a last minute drive ...

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Posted this on another thread--seems appropriate here as well. Flacco's career passer rating at home and on road:

2008 rating at home: 66.8 2008 rating on road: 91.7 Overall rating for year: 80.0.
    2009 rating at home: 101.5 2009 rating on road: 75.8 Overall rating for year: 88.9
    2010 rating at home: 104.2 2010 rating on road: 84.7 Overall rating for year: 93.5.
    2011 rating at home: 84.2 2011 rating on road: 78.2 Overall rating for year: 81.0.
    2012 rating at home: 108.2 2012 rating on road: 65.2 Overall rating for year: 87.2.
    Career at home: 93.0 Career on road: 79.9 Career overall: 86.1

I don't know why the above numbers are the way they are, but it's inarguable that the passing offense for four years running has been extremely inconsistent on the road. More to the point, it isn't getting better.

So, I can see using the above as a pretty good excuse for playing not to lose on the road. The Steelers game is a good example, and the last playoff game the Ravens lost at Heinz field can be taken as example of why you should occasionally play to not lose.

The fact that the road passing offense isn't getting better is extremely concerning going forward, though. It indicates (to me, at least) that there's a systemic problem somewhere. While I'm not as quick to blame Cameron as many here are, I wish the Ravens had made a change last year just to see how Flacco did with a different coordinator, so that we could prove or eliminate the OC as the problem.

Bottom line is, there isn't another passing offense in the league with such an enormous disparity in home vs road performance. I don't know what the problem is, but I doubt it's a one-step fix.
    No its not a one step fix...but the first step is a new OC.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
    Oh my ****ing god, even Ravens fans don't like Flacco. For gods sake he's been to the playoffs every year!
    Not all fans feel that way Quack...some soon forget what our team was like under Boller. Unfortunately, Flacco haters won't shut their pieholes until we win a SB. Until then, we have to put up with their unfounded rantings. Flacco is no Big Ben but he's been good enough to get to the playoffs each year. AND we were one Lee Evans dropped pass away from the SB last year...Joe got us there, Lee Evans took it away.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

Dickson is not a 100% guarantee.

Tony - if it were Pitta or Boldin, he may have thrown it.

I tend to agree although we'll never know for sure.

I thought the call to pass the ball at all was stupid, but I guess they thought the Steelers were selling out for the run and wouldn't be able to get the first down as success with the run the whole night was very limited at best. More like pathetic.

Whole point being was the most important thing to do there was run off clock and not surrender field position or God forbid the ball.

Freak stuff seems to happen with us against the Steelers at the worst times... I.E.- The Rice fumble, the Palomano sack, etc.

I don't think Flacco trusts Dickson the way he does Pitta.

Any kind of deflection for an Int. would have been possibly devestating.
    An incomplete pass stops the clock giving them more time on offense.

Taking the sack was essentially the same thing as running the ball and not getting the 1st down.

I think if the Steelers would have had timeouts the situation would have been different making getting the 1st down much more essential possibly changing the way the play was approached and forcing us to play to win rather then not to lose.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

You know, generally, thoughout the history of the NFL, teams and QB's don't play as well on the road as they do at home. That's why they call it home field advantage :)

I disagree with the article. I don't care if Dickson was standing alone in the endzone, you take the sack and eat the clock up. If the throw was off, or more likely, Dickson drops the ball, the Steelers than have nearly two minutes to try and get a score. They should have just run the damn ball here.