Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ellerbe

Ellerbe

Does yesterday's news open the door for an Ellerbe return? Is the cap savings of a retired ray Lewis roughly equal the deal Jameel got last year?

If so, I thin it needs to be done. Ellerbe was our best ILB'er this year.

Re: Ellerbe

I didn't think they'd let Ellerbe get away before, and I don't now. I should qualify that by saying I think they'll make him a great offer. If he chooses to leave, he obviously will unless Joe signs and they franchise him (not likely). But if he would like to stay, I don't think the Ravens will have a problem making him a great offer. Especially where McClain is somewhat of a question mark (though I expect him back as well).
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Only problem is Ellerbe's agent has some leverage now. Ravens have money they were committing to ILB. Ravens supply at ILB just bottomed out. He might get a bigger deal than McClain's now. Almost wonder if they were too quick to give McClain a starter's contract. He's the 3rd best ILB on the team right now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Does yesterday's news open the door for an Ellerbe return? Is the cap savings of a retired ray Lewis roughly equal the deal Jameel got last year?

If so, I thin it needs to be done. Ellerbe was our best ILB'er this year.
    I think he is clearly after Joe, one of the top priorities for this offeseason.

He has been very, very good this year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Ray Lewis' retirement will save Ravens $4.35 million in salary-cap space

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7305107.story

Blog Entries

Ellerbe is definitely a high priority for the Ravens this year. He has to be.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Ray Lewis' retirement will save Ravens $4.35 million in salary-cap space

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7305107.story
    Thanks, that should be plenty for a first year cap number on an Ellerbe deal.

Blog Entries

The one thing with Ellerbe to be careful with is how he will handle the big payday. He has had supposed work ethic issues in the past, and if they sign him, he's going to have to be one of the defensive leaders with Suggs, Ngata, and Webb since Ray and Ed will be gone. He's having his best year in his contract year...just need to make sure they are getting THIS Ellerbe for the next several years and not the one that was out of shape and in the dog house the past couple years. I think they have to sign him because they just don't have anyone else, but they have to be careful, too.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Ellerbe has been one of the best players on this defense this year. He looks fast and explosive, and is our best blitzer after Webb. If Ozzie locks him up long term and drafts one of many stud ILBs in this draft, like Arthur Brown, we'll potentially have one of the top tandems in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The one thing with Ellerbe to be careful with is how he will handle the big payday. He has had supposed work ethic issues in the past, and if they sign him, he's going to have to be one of the defensive leaders with Suggs, Ngata, and Webb since Ray and Ed will be gone. He's having his best year in his contract year...just need to make sure they are getting THIS Ellerbe for the next several years and not the one that was out of shape and in the dog house the past couple years. I think they have to sign him because they just don't have anyone else, but they have to be careful, too.
    This is a good point. As much as I hate to say it you have to always be wary of players whose best year is also a contract year. I'd like to think Ellerbe's work ethic/discipline issues are a thing of the past, and they very well may be, but the team needs to be careful.

The real shame is the McClain contract, which actually may have been the same "contract year" effect. He appears to have been overrated and the money he got looks excessive--plus, they can't really get out of the contract. Let's hope that doesn't have a negative effect on their chance to re-up Ellerbe.

I will say this--the Ravens have never been wild about letting veterans go and hoping young draftees can step up in year 1, even if they're highly drafted. None of the Ravens' first picks under Harbaugh have been expected to be day-one starters except Oher. Flacco and KO were each supposed to sit on the bench for a year. Kindle, Cody, Jimmy Smith, and Upshaw all DID start out on the bench. I think they'd much prefer to spend the money on Ellerbe rather than expect a rookie to step right in next to McClain.

Blog Entries

They will make the offer and i have a feeling as long as its fair, he'll accept. ILBs arent in high demand and even after this solid season i doubt anybody gives him a crazy contract. so as long as we offer him something close to what other teams are, he has no reason to leave. I do feel confident in giving him starter money, i think his "doghouse" days are behind him, and besides injuries (which are a problem for him) hes been pretty good. Something seemed to click with him this year (possibly last as well), i feel the staff/FO sees that as well.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think they'd much prefer to spend the money on Ellerbe rather than expect a rookie to step right in next to McClain.
    While this is true, there are two "dark horse" guys that could be the vet to step in beside McClain...McClellan has bounced around a couple spots this year, but was mentioned consistently as an ILB contributor. The other possible big one is Josh Bynes. He's gotten a large workload at the end of the year, and really, he's probably the backup plan. Glenn from WNST was tweeting about Ellerbe's situation, and he seems to think Ellerbe's agent is going to squeeze every dollar they can out of his tremendous year, he sounds a bet pessimistic about being able to bring Ellerbe back, but says Bynes could be the guy to step into those big shoes.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!