Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    The Ravens don't have a TE that can block; Bajema can't block either. I wouldn't be surprised if they did look into that, but you want dynamic players at the position these days don't you?

I like Ertz, probably a second rounder though?
    The question is, who is the last well versed TE of a high caliber in this league? They are all pass catchers now, who struggle with blocks.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

After hearing you guys talk about him I'm on the Mosley train also. RayRay is likely done, god I hope they back the brinks truck up to keep him on as a coach I don't care what it takes!

But the problem is, where are we going to be picking? And not only that but their are so many holes that we need high calibr talent at because we've slacked or missed in area's.

Sure we could go Mosley, tag Reed and hope to nail his replacement in the 1st round next year, so thats a quick and most logcal bandaid for now. But we need a DE pretty badly also, a 3-4 DE that can get to the QB opposite Ngata and to releieve th prssure off Suggs. Upshaw looks to be solid at OLB and will certainly improve hispass rushing but lets be honest he's prob not going to command the kind of attention we need, or should say Suggs and Ngata need.

BUT the biggest thing is, do we trade up in the first and go after a legit impact first round caliber wide reciever to compliment Torrey?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The question is, who is the last well versed TE of a high caliber in this league? They are all pass catchers now, who struggle with blocks.
    Alge Crumpler was a fine blocker

I wanted to sign him after Heap was let go

Vet TE on just a one year deal to help the young players.

Never happened in the end, ah well

We got Kris Wilson who I'm still surpised we let go

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    After hearing you guys talk about him I'm on the Mosley train also. RayRay is likely done, god I hope they back the brinks truck up to keep him on as a coach I don't care what it takes!

But the problem is, where are we going to be picking? And not only that but their are so many holes that we need high calibr talent at because we've slacked or missed in area's.

Sure we could go Mosley, tag Reed and hope to nail his replacement in the 1st round next year, so thats a quick and most logcal bandaid for now. But we need a DE pretty badly also, a 3-4 DE that can get to the QB opposite Ngata and to releieve th prssure off Suggs. Upshaw looks to be solid at OLB and will certainly improve hispass rushing but lets be honest he's prob not going to command the kind of attention we need, or should say Suggs and Ngata need.

BUT the biggest thing is, do we trade up in the first and go after a legit impact first round caliber wide reciever to compliment Torrey?
    Anquan Boldin is more than good enough now, just look at his stats. We don't need receivers right now, talk to me about that in 2014. Most of our picks and FA signings next year should be all on defense, and a few Olinemen.

Blog Entries

There will be some safeties available in rounds 2-4.

Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, Tony Jefferson, Baccari Rambo, Shawn Williams, Brandon Bishop...we could pick up Mosley in round 1 and still look at picking up a solid rookie safety in round 2 or 3.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There will be some safeties available in rounds 2-4.

Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, Tony Jefferson, Baccari Rambo, Shawn Williams, Brandon Bishop...we could pick up Mosley in round 1 and still look at picking up a solid rookie safety in round 2 or 3.
    Got Baccari Rambo to us in the second right now. The guy is arguably a first round pick with off field issues (nothing too serious though). I will post the second round after the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Got Baccari Rambo to us in the second right now. The guy is arguably a first round pick with off field issues (nothing too serious though). I will post the second round after the game.
    I like Baccari Rambo and Shawn Williams.

Georgia has some nice defensive players this year.

Shaq Wilson is a solid MLB (small though...5'11" 230lbs).

Devonte Holloman is a guy who is a SS/OLB and for 6'2" 240lbs, he can run.

Blog Entries

I like Baccari Rambo and Shawn Williams.

Georgia has some nice defensive players this year.

Shaq Wilson is a solid MLB (small though...5'11" 230lbs).

Devonte Holloman is a guy who is a SS/OLB and for 6'2" 240lbs, he can run.
    Yeah I like Shawn Williams too, I just think Rambo is more of a play maker Shawn Williams is more of a early third round pick IMO but can make a solid starting SS in the NFL, he reminds me of Bernard Pollard.

Blog Entries

Excuse the delay with my second round mock draft, been busy with work, and of course looking at film of the Sunday night game.

Second round: (33-47)

33. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
    The Jags will want to bring in a QB who can compete with Henne and Gabbert and see if Gabbert can actually be pushed into actually playing well and trying to win for this team. I can’t see that happening, and I think that Gabbert may be traded away or cut. Henne would likely start and Bray would sit for a season or two being groomed to eventually take over. Tyler Bray is a big QB who has a nice arm, but struggles with accuracy, he needs some time to develop, but could turn into a decent QB in the league.

32. Kansas city chiefs: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    The Chiefs can get Geno his college go to guy with their second pick. Dwayne Bowe won’t be back with the team next year, so the Chiefs will have to find a replacement. Tavon Austin is a similar type of player to Antonio Brown, and has put up a ridiculous amount of numbers for West Virginia this season.

33. Carolina Panthers: David Amerson, CB/S, NC State
    The Panthers need to continue to address their defense, and have issues in the secondary. David Amerson can play both corner and safety, and is probably best suited to play free safety as he is a big tall and rangy ball hawk. He can also make a solid corner in the NFL if he gets it together, he has been beaten occasionally this year, but he has a huge ceiling and unique size at 6’3.

34. Buffalo Bills: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    The Bills desperately need a down field player as they only have one in Stevie Johnson. If they invest a first round pick in Matt Barkley, they will need to get him some weapons.

35. Cincinnati Bengals (From Oakland): Alec Ogletree, ILB, Gerogia
    Rey Mauluga is arguably the worst starting ILB in the league right now and needs to be replaced, he’s also a FA, so the Bengals have a big need at LB. Alec Ogletree is a fringe first round talent with a lot of athleticism. He can drop back into coverage, as well as stop the run. He’s a big tall and rangy LB, and would be a solid pick for the Bengals here. The Bengals need to get better on defense if they ever want to challenge for the AFC North.

36. Washington Redskins: Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
    The Redskis have holes everywhere around their secondary, and even though it may be wise to go for a corner here, I am going for the BPA instead at a position of dire need for the Redskins. Tony Jefferson is a fringe first round talent, but could drop into the second round because of the devaluation of the position he plays. He’s been having a really good year with Oklahoma.

37. New York Jets: DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama
    The Jets NEED to get back to ground and pound to be a good team again. I think they will give Mark Sanchez one more year to prove himself, especially if Rex Ryan is not fired. It’s really not been all Marks fault this year; he literally has zero talent surrounding him. When the Jets where good, they had one of the best Olines in the league who could run block like no one else, that’s the type of mentality they need to get back to. DJ Fluker has had his struggles for Bama on the left side this year, but he is still a worthy prospect at RT and is a huge physical player that can fill a desperate need for the Jets.

38. Philadelphia Eagles: TJ Mcdonald, S, USC
    The Eagles need to carry on adding players to their secondary; they took an elite prospect at corner in the first round, now it’s time to take one of the better safeties in the draft. Philly’s safeties have missed more tackles than any safety tandem in the league, TJ Mcdonald could help with that.

39. Tennessee Titans: Dallas Thomas, OG/OT, Tennessee
    The Titans need to get better up front, one of the key reasons why they couldn’t run the ball through the past season or two, is a lot to do with the ineptitude of their Oline. Dallas Thomas could step in at right guard straight away, and help Chris Johnson out in a big way. Dallas offers great versatility and can cover right tackle, and left tackle in a pinch.

40. Saint Louis Rams: Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
    The Rams could get a guy who was Michael Brockers’ partner in crime at LSU. They made up for the best interior defensive line in CFB last year, and can be reunited in Saint Louis. The Rams could really solidify their Dline with a pick like this.

41. San Diego Chargers: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    One of the main issues with Philip Rivers this year is that he really has nobody to throw to. He needs help from a big tall and fast receiver that Vincent Jacson was. Da’Rick Rogers is a first round pic if it wasn’t for his off field issues (ahhh… how often do we hear that?).

42. Dallas Cowboys: Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
    The Cowboys will not be able to keep Anthony Spencer who is a FA after the season. They already franchised, and didn’t appear to be anywhere close to sorting out a long term deal. Chase Thomas could step in and replace Spencer straight away. Thomas can play in both a 4-3, and a 3-4 defensive scheme, at OLB. In a pinch, he could even slide inside to ILB, but his best fit is a 3-4 OLB IMO. He has been having a really good year with Stanford, and could raise his draft stock as the season goes on.

43. Arizona Cardinals: Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia
    The Cardinals have serious issues on the Oline, and desperately need to address it. Oday Aboushi is one of those players that is a natural fit at left tackle. His footwork and ability to play there is off the charts, he is easily the most underrated OT’s in this draft. He will need to improve his run blocking, but he has potential to be a day one start at LT for the Cardinals who really have no one else for him to compete with anyway.

44. Detroit Lions: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
    The Lions may be I the same boat as the Cowboys in terms of losing one of their preimium pass rushers through FA. That’s why this pick makes sense for them, and we all know how the Lions love drafting Dlinemen. Okafor has been having a solid year with Texas, and could raise his draft stock, but needs to get better in run support.

45. Minnesota Vikings: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    The Vikings need help at DT, Kevin Williams is old and needs to be replaced eventually. Sharrif Floyd has been great for Florida this year.

46. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    Don’t be surprised if the Bucs double up on corners this year, it really is the biggest weakness out of any team in the NFL for the Bucs. Trufant is another fringe player who could push his stock up to the first round, but has a second round projection for now.

47. Cincinnati Bengals: Matt Elam, S, Florida
    Another decent Florida player that has been a stud this year. Matt Elam could address a position of great need for the Bengals, who need to continue to upgrade their defense.

Blog Entries

Second round (48-60)

48. Miami Dolphins: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
    The Dolphins gave away their best corner to Indi, so they should probably take a corner here to replace him. Poyer is a decent prospect, and is one of the more underrated corners in this draft.

49. Seattle Seahawks: Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
    The Seahawks have been good up front this year, but need to get a new right tackle, as Breno Giacomini is just awful. Russel Wilson is a QB who will always need good Oline play because of his size. If it wasn’t for his injury, Brennan Williams probably would have been a first round pick this year, with the way he was playing.

50. Miami Dolphins (From Indianapolis): Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    The Dolphins traded away Brandon Marshal away before the season, so will need to get more weapons for Tannehill. Patterson has been a really solid number 3 receiver for Tennessee this year, and has good size.

51. Pittsburgh Steelers: Shyane Skov, ILB/OLB, Stanford
    The Steelers have a stud in Lawrence Timmons, but they still need an upgrade next to him, Larry Foote is just an average talent. Shayne Skov probably would have been a first round pick if it wasn’t for his injury last year. I think he still has time to rise his projection into the first round, he had a great game this week.

52. New York Giants: Gerald Hodges, OLB/ILB, Penn State
    The Giants need help at MLB, Chase Blackburn is terrible as a starter. I think that Hodges has major potential as a 4-3 LB in the NFL, he is the typical modern day athletic LB that is a perfect fit for todays league.

53. Green Bay Packers: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    Zach Ertz could be the potential replacement for Jermichael Finley who will be due 8 million dollars next year. He has totally underwhelmed for the Packers, and there is a good chance he’ll be looking for a new team in 2013.

54. New England Patriots: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
    Despite having a great season, there is a good chance that Welker won’t be back with the Patriots next season, so they will have to get another wideout. It’s already a need even with Welker on the team. Cobi Hamilton could offer the Patriots something they don’t have, a big bodied receiver who has speed.

55. Baltimore Ravens: Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    The Ravens have some tough personnel decisions to make at the end of the season. Joe Flacco and Ed Reed’s contracts are both up, and both will cost a lot of money, and the Ravens will likely not have much cap room to work with. Ozzie has been good at working out contracts in the past to keep so many good players, but it all depends on how much Ed Reed wants. There is always the possibility of Reed retiring anyway because of his injury and age concerns, so I’d go with his replacement in who I think may be the best safety in this draft class if it wasn’t for his off the field issues.

56. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    The Bears need help on the Oline, there can be nothing more said about that. Cooper is the best guard available at this point.

57. Houston Texans: Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU
    Margus Hunt will be a developmental player, but with a huge ceiling. The 6’7 DE is raw but would be a perfect fit for that attacking 3-4 defense that the Texans run. Imagine him and JJ Watt at both ends batting passes down with that combined height, yikes! Antonio Smith is a great player, but he will be a FA in 2014, so you may as well draft his eventual replacement sooner or later.

58. San Francisco 49ers: Travis Frederick, OC/OG, Wisconsin
    This is purely a depth singing and someone the 49ers can groom into their future starting center. The 49ers are built around their strength in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so this pick makes sense for them. Goodwin is a decent center, but he’ll be 34 next season and a FA in 2014. Travis Frederick is a huge inside lineman who could take over from Goodwin eventually. Frederick lacks ideal mobility of an NFL center, but he’s a good fit for the inside power scheme that the 9ers run up front.

59. Denver Broncos: Kevin Riddick, ILB, North Carolina
    The Broncos need a more athletic LB to compete with Joe Mays. Joe Mays appears to be a decet run stopper, but is terrible in coverage. Joe is better suited to a 3-4 scheme, and Denver run a 4-3, which is better suited for Riddick. Riddick has had a down year, but he’s still got a ton of upside, and could be a solid pick in the late second round.

60. Atlanta Falcons: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    Peter Konz will likely take over from McClure at center, but the Falcons will need an upgrade at right guard. Larry Warford is a sleeper pick at guard.

Blog Entries

Regarding TE's - I'd LOVE to see the Ravens use a late round pick on Dion Simms out of Michigan State or Michael Williams out of Alabama.

Simms is 6'6" 285lbs and Williams is 6'6" 270lbs. Both are really solid blockers and both provide nice ability as a receiver. Neither are really targeted all that much in their respective offenses because they are in run-oriented offenses. Simms really reminds me a lot of guys like Marcedes Lewis and Martellus Bennett. Big guys, good blockers, good hands, good athletes.

Blog Entries

Regarding TE's - I'd LOVE to see the Ravens use a late round pick on Dion Simms out of Michigan State or Michael Williams out of Alabama.

Simms is 6'6" 285lbs and Williams is 6'6" 270lbs. Both are really solid blockers and both provide nice ability as a receiver. Neither are really targeted all that much in their respective offenses because they are in run-oriented offenses. Simms really reminds me a lot of guys like Marcedes Lewis and Martellus Bennett. Big guys, good blockers, good hands, good athletes.
    I like Michael Williams, he's more of a blocking TE, and could offer depth at FB too.