Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    This is what I want to see. Just how important is the "leadership" aspect in games. For example, is boldins leadership more valuable than thompsons pure speed.
    I dont think leadership should be a problem. Flacco, Pitta, Ngata, Suggs, Ray, Yanda, Doom, Torrey we have new leaders ready to step up. We drafted guys who were recognized as leaders at their respective schools. I think we'll be fine.

I hate to see Vonta go, loved the way he played. Also, if you follow him on twtter and instagram he seems like a down to earth type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I dont think leadership should be a problem. Flacco, Pitta, Ngata, Suggs, Ray, Yanda, Doom, Torrey we have new leaders ready to step up. We drafted guys who were recognized as leaders at their respective schools. I think we'll be fine.

I hate to see Vonta go, loved the way he played. Also, if you follow him on twtter and instagram he seems like a down to earth type of guy.
    I've never read anything about Vonta that was negative. This is an unfortunate part of the game. I wish he would have been amicable to a salary reduction, there's a good chance the Ravens were going to pay him as well as his next team. Like Boldin, he is prideful and I understand wanting the contract to be honored by the Ravens. But the reality is he just isn't worth 4.3m for a years work, he'll soon find this out. While I think he's a quality person and a great lead blocker, my heart hardens when I see the money he can turn down. In my life I've had shit jobs that payed little and required a lot of effort, lessons I will never forget. Best of luck to Vonta, I look forward to some highlight pancakes against other teams. Just don't go to a team in the NFCN.

I guess when John Harbaugh joked with Leech at the White House that his job was safe even though he was giving Obama a #44 jersey he knew it wasn't.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash55 View Post
    I assume a pitta extension is coming soon
    This would make sense.

Any chance we resign him after letting him test free agency? If he looks around and the best offer is below what he wants, is he the kind of guy who can swallow the bitter pill of coming back at a reduced rate?

And more importantly, would Ozzie be willing?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I wouldn't be too quick to think this has anything to do with another move. They could have likely re-signed Pitta or Dickson or Jones without the excess Cap space.

This, IMO, has more to do with creating enough Cap space to have a cushion to carry into the season. Much like reducing Bryant McKinnie base salary last year, asking Leach to restructure/paycut/whatever has more to do with creating that cushion than anything else (and that he's being paid too much for a FB).

With only $3.6M in Cap space presently, and around $2.8M after Elam signs, they would have been hard pressed to make it through the season when injuries occur and when you need to carry everyone (53, IR, PS) under the Cap.

Granted, they would likely rather have less of a cushion and still have Leach, but obviously, they couldn't reach a middle ground.
    I think its a combination of factors

First and foremost, under Caldwell Juice's skillset seems to match more what his offense would demand from the role than what Leach brings. Leach can catch you the occasional pass but its far from a strength for him. He is obviously the bruiser type. Certainly they could have utilized Leach had he come back at a reduced rate but 3 million for the snaps he would have been utilized was likely to much.

Next up you have the uncertain situation at WR. While I think they like some of their options such as Thompson, Ozzie is not the kind of guy to box himself in. Freeing up space gives him options should they feel they need some help at WR as cuts start coming in. Should they feel they need the depth they have the ability to address it, should they be satisfied with what they have as camp progresses then they simply carry the cushion over as Ravor suggests they will above. Either way it provides flexibility which is something that Ozzie seems to value.

I will miss Leach a lot. I know most of us will but this game is a dynamic one and needs change. What makes sense paying 3 million for 2yrs ago does not necessarily today even if the player has not diminished in skills. More than anything I think Leach is a victim of this.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Too much d line depth to worry about jones. Hes a luxury. Pitta and oher will be the priorities. Oher plays solid RT hes the focus.
    I'm not so sure about that one. This defensive line worked best when it had a reliable swing man, that was Brandon McKinney. Once he left, they clearly lacked depth and suffered for it. Arthur Jones is the new swing man and if the team can lock him up now for decent money, I think it is a move to be made.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Any chance we resign him after letting him test free agency? If he looks around and the best offer is below what he wants, is he the kind of guy who can swallow the bitter pill of coming back at a reduced rate?

And more importantly, would Ozzie be willing?
    There's a thought.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Sorry to throw ice water on everyone's hopes and dreams for our cap savings...

http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...-of-moneyball/

Very good explanation of where the money will go.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Disagree. Art Jones is an ideal 5-technique defensive lineman. He can stuff the run and get after the QB. He is only going to get better and keeping him should be a priority.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I'm not so sure about that one. This defensive line worked best when it had a reliable swing man, that was Brandon McKinney. Once he left, they clearly lacked depth and suffered for it. Arthur Jones is the new swing man and if the team can lock him up now for decent money, I think it is a move to be made.

Ideally we resign all of them... unfortunately thats going to be exceptionally hard to do. I think Jones is going to be the most expensive of those guys and therefore the least likely to resign. Im not saying i wouldnt want him, im saying the teams not going to be able to and strictly based off our current roster we have the most depth at DL vs OL or TE, so it makes sense to prioritize elsewhere. If this is Flaccos team now, i think the offense gets more attention, especially compared to a position were 8-9 deep at.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Sorry to throw ice water on everyone's hopes and dreams for our cap savings...

http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...-of-moneyball/

Very good explanation of where the money will go.
    Where the money *may* go you mean ...

That article is talking about all the options, one of which is carried over cap savings if nobody has an injury requiring a FA signing.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

No big surprise. I guess Kyle J must really be impressing as well.But then it seems we already had enough cap room to make everything work for this year. Granted his cap number was probably way to high given his expected production but it would appear that we were already in good shape cap wise at least for '13. Now if we can use this extra space to reup with say Pitta or A. Jones or even Oher right now I'd be even more on board with this.