Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rookie Camp Observations

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I still dont understand how Reid can be considered an athletic and agile RT but not athletic and agile enough for LT at all. seems odd to me to say hes really good at those things for the Right side but not nearly enough for the Left. One of the reasons he moved up draft boards was because of those things. For a guy with prototypical size and from all accounts a good work ethic youd think hed be able to at least try to be a LT, as opposed to being type cast as a RT only.
    Good point, esp considering no longer do teams strictly just matchup their best pass rusher on the blind side. You see them moving around and picking their own matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Good point, esp considering no longer do teams strictly just matchup their best pass rusher on the blind side. You see them moving around and picking their own matchups.
    True in some cases, but traditional ways of thinking die hard. IMO, it is generally thought that a D's best passrusher comes from the QBs blind side; therefore, the LT, protecting his blind side, needs to be a team's best OT. The LT is generally more "athletic," quicker, more agile than the RT. Apologies if preaching to the choir . . . Yah, I'd love to see Reid try and then earn the LT spot. That would be great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Still pulling for Reid to be the LT, but a very good point was brought up. People that get PAID for this say he's a RT and thats it. Same with KO at G. He's not going to be the LT...
    Teams that end up in last place, consistently pick in the top ten, also have "people that get PAID"... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Teams that end up in last place, consistently pick in the top ten, also have "people that get PAID"... Bc
    Touche :)

I hope you like him because he will be the Ravens starting LT in 2013... Bc
    Osemele – Oher – Gradkowski – Yanda – Jah Reid.

At the very least, we'd sure as hell be able to run the football. Just adequate at pass-blocking, but the Ravens like to be a run-based offense anyway.

Blog Entries

I don't see Oher ever moving to the inside, and I don't see Osemele at LT at all.

Unless we ever finish 5-11 in 2012, I don't see us getting an elite LT any time soon. We are just going to have to live with Oher at LT or even Reid. At least our interior line is set for a long time now.

For now the line is probably going to be like this...
    McKinnie-Osemele-Birk-Yanda-Oher

And in 2013 probably...
    Oher-Osemele-Gradkowski-Yanda-Reid

There are some decent free agent LT's in 2013 who are solid and can probably come at fairly good prices, but you will have to say good bye to either Oher or Reid in that case, and I don't see the Ravens doing that.

Blog Entries

If McKinnie has a good season this year, and the Ravens are not able to trade/sign an upgrade at LT, I think they might try to extend him for another 2 seasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If McKinnie has a good season this year, and the Ravens are not able to trade/sign an upgrade at LT, I think they might try to extend him for another 2 seasons.
    If McKinnie has a good season he's going to want a much bigger contract than the one he has now. His money problems a well documented. Some other team is going to pay him a lot more than Ozzie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If McKinnie has a good season he's going to want a much bigger contract than the one he has now. His money problems a well documented. Some other team is going to pay him a lot more than Ozzie.
    Im not so sure of that. Hes only an above average LT (which is all he really needs to be here), hes older, has work ethic and weight issues. I highly doubt hes ever heavily sought after again, even if he does have a good or great season this year, because the reason behind it would be translucent, contract year. I dont think he cashes in, but i dont think he settles for another 2 year deal either. i think a deal could be worked out within out budget if he is indeed the best option still.
    -JAB

Yes. People got paid to draft Jaba-cus Russell, David Carr, Kyle Boller, etc in the first round. And a lot of people got paid to pass on Brady, Romo, Warner, etc.

The dude who runs OurLads, Dan Shonka, was on Norris & Davis on The Fan after the draft, a couple weeks ago. He said in his opinion Osemele can play tackle in the NFL. He was very definite about it, something like "he seems like a tackle to me," or "you don't put a guy with long arms like his in at guard," or something like that. Shonka also emphasizes how Osemele stoned Aldon Smith in college, and Smith seems to be an elite pass rusher. (I don't know when Osemele would have faced Smith.)

I don't remember the exact quote, but you can listen to his segment here:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...s-draft-picks/

Shonka is an ex-scout, right? Why is he wrong about Osemele, and everyone else is right?

KO started for 4 years at LT at a good program in a tough conference, and he's huge, evidently has long arms (Oher's weak point), and is athletic. Why can't he play LT, again?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The dude who runs OurLads, Dan Shonka, was on Norris & Davis on The Fan after the draft, a couple weeks ago. He said in his opinion Osemele can play tackle in the NFL. He was very definite about it, something like "he seems like a tackle to me," or "you don't put a guy with long arms like his in at guard," or something like that. Shonka also emphasizes how Osemele stoned Aldon Smith in college, and Smith seems to be an elite pass rusher. (I don't know when Osemele would have faced Smith.)

I don't remember the exact quote, but you can listen to his segment here:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...s-draft-picks/

Shonka is an ex-scout, right? Why is he wrong about Osemele, and everyone else is right?

KO started for 4 years at LT at a good program in a tough conference, and he's huge, evidently has long arms (Oher's weak point), and is athletic. Why can't he play LT, again?
    IDK know about that tbh, I mean guys like Mike Mayock (not saying we should pay loads of attention to what he says all the time, but is one of the better draft analysts) basically thinks he is a phone booth guard at the next level. Osemele could be an elite guard for us, so why would you stunt his development by moving him over to tackle in 2013? IMO our best bet is to sign a younger FA tackle in 2013 as there will be quite a few on the market. Guys like Duane Brown, and Ryan Clady will be worth a look at, IDK how much Denver and Houston will be wanting to keep them, but we will probably have a much better cap situation next year.

Another guy I have really liked since being drafted is Sebastian Volmer, the German guy who has been sitting on the bench for the past few years, but whenever he has played, he has looked solid, and better than Matt Light. I'm pretty sure the Patriots are going to try everything in their power to keep him, because Matt Light is likely to retire in 2013.