Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1984...?

Re: 1984...?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Even then, they could say they pulled your state registration for ccw and compared it with you driver's license.
    How can they do either if they don't know your name?

Blog Entries

Anybody watching Rand Paul filibuster? I love this guy.

He says he is trying to get Obama to define what drones can be used for in America on Americans. He thinks he'll fail in his attempt, but it's pretty awesome to listen to this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Apparently these drones can monitor cell phone signals too. So if the detect HR's cell phone is going down the street and there is a gun on his hip, bingo, you've been identified.

Again, this is all hypothetical but I would think that's how they know who's who.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Apparently these drones can monitor cell phone signals too. So if the detect HR's cell phone is going down the street and there is a gun on his hip, bingo, you've been identified.

Again, this is all hypothetical but I would think that's how they know who's who.
    Monitoring my cell phone does not equal knowing the account holders info. The cellular providers have done an excellent job at keeping that info to themselves.

And I am not aware of a drone that's been made that can do both.

Blog Entries

Monitoring my cell phone does not equal knowing the account holders info. The cellular providers have done an excellent job at keeping that info to themselves.

And I am not aware of a drone that's been made that can do both.
    It does not equal that, but it's usually a good shot. The Breitbart link, links to a partially redacted report that says they can monitor cell phone signals.

I would assume they could get the account info if they really wanted it. But do I think they are doing that? No, could they? I don't see how they couldn't.

Blog Entries

Assuming they do a database pull on every Texan with a ccw license, which is possible, and they compare that list to every driver's license in Texas, which is also possible...then yes, they could know who you are, where you live, what you drive, and what you look like.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Assuming they do a database pull on every Texan with a ccw license, which is possible, and they compare that list to every driver's license in Texas, which is also possible...then yes, they could know who you are, where you live, what you drive, and what you look like.
    Ok. But if some donk on the other end of a drone and they zoom in on me with their gun carrying abilities, they still don't know who I am. At that point (and until I get into my car, my home, etc) I am just a face on a screen.

So if I am grabbing a Starbucks and HPD taps me on the shoulder wanting to see my gun and / or CHL, I'll know they had zero probable cause.

Blog Entries

It does not equal that, but it's usually a good shot. The Breitbart link, links to a partially redacted report that says they can monitor cell phone signals.

I would assume they could get the account info if they really wanted it. But do I think they are doing that? No, could they? I don't see how they couldn't.
    Well, there is a difference (imo) of monitoring vs capturing.

Monitoring would imply real time listening in on conversations. I think drones with that type of technology (which has been on aircraft for quite some time), then it would basically be capturing cell phone conversations and it would be a lot of conversations all at once...not just one in particular. The only way they could do that is by tapping into a specific cell tower, which is supposed to be "illegal".

Of course they "could". They could get a warrant issued for my account info.

Blog Entries

Ok. But if some donk on the other end of a drone and they zoom in on my with their gun carrying abilities, they still don't know who I am. At that point (and until I get into my car, my home, etc) I am just a face on a screen.
    I think you misunderstood me.

If you were approached by Houston PD to check and see if you were "properly" complying with ccw laws and you thought that it was a drone that spotted you and tipped you off, they could just easily say your nuts and and all they did was what I suggested.

Blog Entries

Okay, we're getting pretty hypothetical, but if someone comes up to me and asked me to see my weapon - For what reason?
    Whatever they wanted.

why would they care if a law abiding citizen was carrying if it is in a state that allows ccw?

I think you misunderstood me.

If you were approached by Houston PD to check and see if you were "properly" complying with ccw laws and you thought that it was a drone that spotted you and tipped you off, they could just easily say your nuts and and all they did was what I suggested
    They still have to tell you why they are stopping you.

They don't know you're a CHL holder just by looks and they cannot randomly approach you, even if they know you're a CHL holder, and ask to see your license / weapon. They have to have probable cause.

So no, given the scenario you presented, they still don't have a means to identify you unless they approach you.

So again, if I am out and about, no identifiers around me (such as my car, home, etc) and the police decide they want to see me gun, that leaves very little doubt about how they discovered I was carrying, thus breaking the 5th Amendment.