Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Free agent wide receivers

Anyone on this list interest you? Let's make an assumption that Mason does not return for some reason. This is just a partial list:

Bennett, Drew UFA Titans
    Copper, Terrance RFA Saints
    Crayton, Patrick RFA Cowboys
    Furrey, Mike UFA Lions
    Moorehead, Aaron UFA Colts
    Moulds, Eric UFA Texans
    Parker, Samie RFA Chiefs
    Washington, Kelley UFA Bengals
    Whitted, Alvis UFA Raiders
    Wilford, Ernest RFA Jaguars

FM

Re: Free agent wide receivers

Why all this talk about Mason leaving? He is under contract and the Ravens are not going to cut him. Give him a few weeks to cool down. Remember how emotional we all were after the loss? I imagine it's 10x worse for the players.

Furrey signed an extension towards the end of the year

Frankly, Mason is wearing a bit thin for me. I would not miss him if they cut him. He never breaks a tackle and he's too whiny. Clayton and DW are the future of this team...not Mason.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    Anyone on this list interest you? Let's make an assumption that Mason does not return for some reason.
    But, why make that assumption?

OK, I'll give you 4.2M reasons why he is going nowhere - he'll count $4.2M against the cap if he's not here. On the other hand, he'll cost $4.4M if he is here. That $200K difference is not a reason to cut him.

So, you're saying you'd like to see him cut and then have them sign someone else to take his place? That would mean $4.2M counting for a WR that isn't here and then additional money on top of that for a WR to be brought in to replace him. Sorry, I can't see that happening, unless they were to decide to cut him after June 1 (but then they would get hit with $2.8M in "dead money" against the 2008 cap - that's not particularly appetizing either).

Clayton and DW are the future of this team...not Mason.
    Of course, they are. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a place on this team for Mason. They'll need (at least) 3 good WRs next year. Right now, they have only 3 - and that includes Mason. So, unless Moore or Darling finally shows something that so far hasn't been evident, I can't see how Mason goes anywhere.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 02-07-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Mason's not going anywhere.
    McNair's not going anywhere.
    Rolle's not going anywhere.

I would want us to look at Kelley Washington or even interview Charles Rogers (to see where his head is) as a depth move to compete with Romby Bryant and a drafted WR(s) for the 4th and 5th WR spots. I don't think Darling and Moore will be back.

That said, don't expect any FA signings before we re-sign our guys and have completed the draft.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

> Charles Rogers
    Where's he been? Is his stock so low that he's competing for spots as a 4th WR?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

WR, for a change, is not really one of our need positions. Sign someone for depth maybe, but our top three should all be back.

How come Travis Taylor isn't on that list?

I get that Mason will be back. I guess I just expected more from this guy since he is considered the #1 WR and he had such a good history w/ McNair.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    I get that Mason will be back. I guess I just expected more from this guy since he is considered the #1 WR and he had such a good history w/ McNair.

FM

I am not sure how much more can be expected of Mason. He didn't reach 100 yards, but he played very well as a possetion receiver. Mason's days as a big numbers guy are likely over...and that is not a bad thing.

We had THREE guys with over 60 catches this year. That means that instead of leaning on one or two receivers, we actually have a stable of guys who can (and do) catch the ball.

I understand why you are a little ticked off at Mason because I am to...but we both need to keep perspective and remember that Mason is trying to adjust to a role that he is simply not used to: Team Player. This is the first time in 5 years that Mason has missed the 1000 yard mark and that sort change can be tough for an aging player. He also probably realizes that his role (and his time in the league) is getting smaller while the the other WRs on the team are, at the same time, enjoying larger roles.

I would encourage you to relax a little and remember that Mason is still the best career WR this team has ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown View Post
    How come Travis Taylor isn't on that list?
    Travis Taylor is an incompetent criminal and therefore will probably sign with the Bengals.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.