Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens Sign FB Lorenzo Neal

Not a big addition, but apparently to take the place of the now-departed Justin Green. Neal is 37 years old (yikes!)

Don't have any details on the contract, yet.

2. Re: Ravens Sign FB Lorenzo Neal

not bad, Neal understands Cameron's system;)

Re: Ravens Sign FB Lorenzo Neal

Is he a good pocket passer?

- C -

He is OLD... But I guess he can step in right away.

I'll consider it a pretty nice pickup.

Tony and 24x7 called this a day or 2 ago

Blog Entries

Part of me is now expecting to see McClain's role also take on some of Ross' assignments maybe even becoming the #3 back
    Neal moves to starter when he gets comfortable with the system/personell, McClain backs him up and possibly frees up Ross roster spot for another position. From what I've seen, he can catch some, and is a decent run option so there are other possibilities for him if the "old" Neal can take over his role last year.

I don't see Neal coming in as the starter. He really wasn't playing many snaps last year at all for the Chargers, maybe 20% of their offensive snaps, maybe a few more. I'd expect him to be between 15 and 20% of our offensive snaps with McClain still playing the majority of snaps. To me this points to Neal coming in as a mentor and an extra body at FB to get LeRon up to speed with Cam's system which Neal will obviously be very familiar with.

I don't see that at his age with his miles on the clock and with the diminished role he had in SD's offence last year that Neal is going to come in and take the majority of FB snaps from McClain this year.

This guy is a road grader. He was still crushing LBs last year until he got hurt. Should be a good addition, and a much more physical FB than Green will ever be, but will not be able to do as much on special teams or in the pass game.
    Just his knowledge of the blocking schemes should help the other guys in practice though.

A few thoughts:
    -Obviously in the eyes of our Coaches and FO, Neal had a successful try-out and passed his physical
    -He will share time in the backfield and will be spotted in select packages
    -To some degree, this reduces my concern of his age

Looking forward:
    -I see a heavy duty goal line backfield of Neal as the FB and McClain as the RB to bullrush the ball into the end zone.

We don't know all there is to know about Green, I wish him well... and look forward to this new look backfield with this year's new faces.

Great pick up. I am a huge McGahee fan, but he is making me a little nervous lately about how much he "wants it", which I guess was a problem of his in Buffalo. Extra depth in the backfield is always a plus and like others have mentioned, this now gives McClain the potential to pick up some carries as a tailback.

Quote Originally Posted by WinRavensWin View Post
    A few thoughts:
    -Obviously in the eyes of our Coaches and FO, Neal had a successful try-out and passed his physical
    -He will share time in the backfield and will be spotted in select packages
    -To some degree, this reduces my concern of his age

Looking forward:
    -I see a heavy duty goal line backfield of Neal as the FB and McClain as the RB to bullrush the ball into the end zone.

We don't know all there is to know about Green, I wish him well... and look forward to this new look backfield with this year's new faces.
    I'd say. Yesterday Coach said the reason they cut Green was to open up spots in other areas:

"Our numbers situation in some other areas dictated that we had to make a move, but I think he'll get picked up quickly. If he doesn't, he's still possibly in our plans based on things that could change"

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Anybody who is a proven run or pass blocker is a good pick up for this team at this point.

I really dig this move and Willis should be drooling over this.

FM