Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Here is an interesting and amazing fact: the Ravens will be the only team in the AFC North that has a white HC. The Stains, Bengals, and now Steelgirls now have African American HCs. That is amazing. Kuddos NFL.
    Who cares? I am already getting sick of this "black coach" talk leading up to the Super Bowl, and now with this Tomlin stuff. Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are both great coaches, but all you hear about is how they are BLACK coaches. This just further brings attention to the fact that they are "different". What happened to MLK's hope to judge a man by his actions rather than the color of his skin?

Oh, and Crennel is a pretty lousy coach who might not be in the AFC North for very long.

Who cares? I am already getting sick of this "black coach" talk leading up to the Super Bowl, and now with this Tomlin stuff. Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are both great coaches, but all you hear about it how they are BLACK coaches. This just further brings attention to the fact that they are "different". What happened to MLK's hope to judge a man by his actions rather than the color of his skin?

Oh, and Crennel is a pretty lousy coach who might not be in the AFC North for very long.
    I wasn't going to say anything, because I've sounded off enough on this BS, but you're exactly right Losac.

This kind of mentality in regard to the "black coaches" is what keeps racial divides alive. Enough with it already. They are two good coaches. You would think that some blacks would find it offensive that people find the need to pander to this side of the aisle. In my mind, the implications are offensive to blacks. The coaching quotas and token interviews are a slap in the face; they imply that these guys can't do it on their own.

In reality, the best MAN will win. If you're a good coach, you're a good coach. It's not because of the color of your skin. This kind of shit needs to be ignored.

18.7% of coaches in the NFL are black. 12% of the U.S. population is black. Why are people still CONSTANTLY referencing RACE??

I think it'll probably be draft day before we know where he's gonna go with their D. He's kept LeBeau as their DC and I don't think he's got any experience with the Cover 2, which may suggest that they're maintaining Blitzburgh.

Either way, they need to get some new talent at the marquee pass rush positions in the draft be that DE with a switch to the cover 2, or OLB if they maintain the Blitzburgh D.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Who cares? I am already getting sick of this "black coach" talk leading up to the Super Bowl, and now with this Tomlin stuff. Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are both great coaches, but all you hear about is how they are BLACK coaches. This just further brings attention to the fact that they are "different". What happened to MLK's hope to judge a man by his actions rather than the color of his skin?

Why is it that the fact there are more African American HCs and the fact that the two HCs in the SB are African American (not black btw) bring out hostility in you?

Interesting.

This is a historical achievement for African Americans as well as for the NFL as a whole. It shows that we have come a long way, and I'd rather talk about that than talking about "Mr. All American" Peyton Manning 24x7 (no pun).

If you can't respect the history that is being made, then that speaks alot of you.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Exclamation Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    18.7% of coaches in the NFL are black. 12% of the U.S. population is black. Why are people still CONSTANTLY referencing RACE??
    I have mixed feelings about this conversation, but I will take a shot at answering this question.

First of all, the relative similarity of the numbers you point out has been a *long* time coming. So in that regard it is something of an achievement.

Second, you point out the black coaches:black Americans ratio, which is interesting and relevant. However, there is another ratio that is also relevant to this discussion, which is black coaches:black players.

Questions about race are very, very difficult. I can completely sympathize with a person choosing not to discuss them as a matter of principle, but I also sympathize with those who see numbers - statistics, if you will - as part of one of the great debates of our times.

Please do not lightly brush off each other's opinions about whether it's a worthy conversation on these boards, as far as that goes, you are both right, in my humble opinion.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Thumbs down Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

Here is an interesting and amazing fact: the Ravens will be the only team in the AFC North that has a white HC. The Stains, Bengals, and now Steelgirls now have African American HCs. That is amazing. Kuddos NFL.

That's fuckin' ridiculous! We should demonstrate against the Ravens FO untill all white coaches are banned from the NFL, starting with Billick. Who cares that he coached us to a 13-3 record? He's got the wrong skin color to satisfy some. Nothing like a little discrimination, right?

Martin Luther King would be astonished as to how attitudes towards race have become twisted and distorted.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything, because I've sounded off enough on this BS, but you're exactly right Losac.

This kind of mentality in regard to the "black coaches" is what keeps racial divides alive. Enough with it already. They are two good coaches. You would think that some blacks would find it offensive that people find the need to pander to this side of the aisle. In my mind, the implications are offensive to blacks. The coaching quotas and token interviews are a slap in the face; they imply that these guys can't do it on their own.

In reality, the best MAN will win. If you're a good coach, you're a good coach. It's not because of the color of your skin. This kind of shit needs to be ignored.

It looks like a couple of you posters need a course or two in DIVERSITY. In order for there to be unity, you have to respect differences.

"Why are people still referencing race?" Because there are various ethnicities and cultures and religious beliefs in this country.

Bottomline, this is a historical occurrence, and the fact that it ignites hostility and a negative response shows why this country will always be divided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    That's fuckin' ridiculous! We should demonstrate against the Ravens FO untill all white coaches are banned from the NFL, starting with Billick. Who cares that he coached us to a 13-3 record? He's got the wrong skin color to satisfy some. Nothing like a little discrimination, right?

Martin Luther King would be astonished as to how attitudes towards race have become twisted and distorted.
    This is truly amazing this hostility. All I said was that three of four teams in the AFC North will have African American HCs, and I am getting hostile responses.

I thought this would encourage discussion of how there is diversity in the NFL and how what the Rooney's implemented is aiding in giving ALL PERSONS a chance at becoming Head Coaches, GMs, etc.

Instead, I am getting hostility. Again very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this conversation, but I will take a shot at answering this question.

First of all, the relative similarity of the numbers you point out has been a *long* time coming. So in that regard it is something of an achievement.

Second, you point out the black coaches:black Americans ratio, which is interesting and relevant. However, there is another ratio that is also relevant to this discussion, which is black coaches:black players.

Questions about race are very, very difficult. I can completely sympathize with a person choosing not to discuss them as a matter of principle, but I also sympathize with those who see numbers - statistics, if you will - as part of one of the great debates of our times.

Please do not lightly brush off each other's opinions about whether it's a worthy conversation on these boards, as far as that goes, you are both right, in my humble opinion.

Excellent post. It is sad that we can't have healthy discussions concerning diversity. It is even sadder that conversations such as this turn argumentative.

I say "3 out of the 4 HCs in the AFC North are African Americans" or that the two HCs in the SB are African Americans, and suddenly we have a lynch mob.

As Skay said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Why is it that the fact there are more African American HCs and the fact that the two HCs in the SB are African American (not black btw) bring out hostility in you?

Interesting.

This is a historical achievement for African Americans as well as for the NFL as a whole. It shows that we have come a long way, and I'd rather talk about that than talking about "Mr. All American" Peyton Manning 24x7 (no pun).

If you can't respect the history that is being made, then that speaks alot of you.
    The fact that there are 2 black coaches in the Super Bowl does not bring out hostility in me, but the fact that the media and people like you have to keep mentioning that fact 24x7 (pun intended) does irk me. According to you, they are black men first and good football coaches second. I'd like to hear about his accomplishments on the field and not be reminded that his skin color is darker than mine ad-nauseum on ESPN constantly, because honestly what effect does that have on the game next Sunday? I guess you probably agree with Larry Johnson too?

This is truly amazing this hostility. All I said was that three of four teams in the AFC North will have African American HCs, and I am getting hostile responses.

I thought this would encourage discussion of how there is diversity in the NFL and how what the Rooney's implemented is aiding in giving ALL PERSONS a chance at becoming Head Coaches, GMs, etc.

Instead, I am getting hostility. Again very interesting.
    Simple: Racial quotas are un-American. I don't support athletes or coaches because of race or ethnicity. I don't select a certain number of Blacks, Orientals, Jews, Greeks, Italians, Latinos to hang out with because of race or ethnicity. I hang out wth them because they are my friends. If someone told me that I don't have enough Mexican friends to meet Maryland's demographic profiles, I'd tell them to screw himself.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

This is PR's first quote.

I don't read it as having anything to do with quotas, or extreme (and stupid) remarks like Larry Johnson's. It's a simple and brief comment on a touchy subject.

The accusation that PR is ramming something down other people's throats, or making extreme suggestions, is unfair to what he actually wrote.

Flame him or misread him if you want.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.