Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Aaron Hernandez Murder Investigation (Merged)

You can't compare the Ray Lewis scenario with Hernandez because the NFL Conduct Policy is totally different now. You have to look at more recent cases like where Donte Stallworth got a year suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    You can't compare the Ray Lewis scenario with Hernandez because the NFL Conduct Policy is totally different now. You have to look at more recent cases like where Donte Stallworth got a year suspension.
    This.

Tags was far more lenient that Goodell. I think it's safe to assume we've seen the last days of AH if he's found guilty.

If AH goes away for 2013 (at the least) then NE would be down to just 1 of their top 5 receivers (receptions-wise) from the 2012 roster (gone are/would be: Welker, Lloyd, Woodhead and AH himself). Only Gronk -- assuming he recovers from surgery okay -- would remain.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Ray missed four games.
    Where'd you pull this gem from? Ray was fined, and he lost endorsements for years. He missed no playing time.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

I think we all knew the media would start making this about Ray

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...124753962.html

Aaron Hernandez case starting to look a lot like the Ray Lewis case of 2000

According to the Associated Press' account of Lewis' sentencing hearing, there were other issues that tied Lewis -- or someone in Lewis' party -- to obstruction. Duane Fassett, the driver of Lewis' limousine, testified that Lewis told everyone in the limo to "just keep your mouth shut and don't say nothing." Evelyn Sparks, who was also in the limo, said that she saw another passenger put a white hotel laundry bag in a nearby garbage bin. Prosecutors believe that the bag contained Lewis' bloodstained white suit, but the suit has never been found. Sparks also said that a woman named Jessica Robertson, described as Lewis' girlfriend, burned a photo of Lewis and his entourage that was taken at the Cobalt Lounge, located near the murder scene.

Prosecutors tried to implicate Lewis as part of a conspiracy to cover up the crime, but because he hadn't been charged as such, the post-crime conduct was not relevant in a conspiracy charge.

"What they have to do is produce evidence that Ray Lewis was involved in the fight that led to these deaths," Baltimore attorney Irwin R. Kramer told the AP back then. "Without additional evidence, one has to question the strength of the prosecution's case."

Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted in 2000, and nobody else has ever been charged. In 2004, Lewis reached financial settlements with the families of Baker and Lollar, pre-empting a scheduled civil trial.

"A trial is an instrument to reach the truth, and I think that in many respects it has been shielded," Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said after Lewis' plea was accepted. "We are continuing to try to bring the truth forward."

One imagines that in the Hernandez case, as it goes forward, police and prosecutors will be more careful in what Hernandez is charged with (and when), and how the process plays out.

Lewis has been relatively circumspect about the facts of his case ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    This may not even be Goodell's call. Hernandez isn't going to be able to play while a trial is going on, unless his lawyer can SOMEHOW convince a judge to postpone the trial until his playing time is on hold. I can't see it happening.

In Ray's case...the crime happened in January 2000. The trial started late May 2000. That would put Hernandez's trial in November 2013. Maybe he's granted special exemption to play before his trial, but I just don't see it. He's going to be needing time to prepare with his legal team and make court appearances.

Depending on the judgement, then it will be interesting to see how he's disciplined. Ray was fined 250k, but I believe he missed no games.
    IF Goddell wants to use the Conduct Policy against him, he can....

Big big difference for me is that Ray Lewis never knew the men killed victims in Georgia....they were part of a random street fight.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My 1/2 hour ride to work was all about Ray Lewis as they were covering the story on WEEI this morning. You would have never thought this was about Hernandez and the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...124753962.html
    Nice job by the author leaving out the fact Ray did testify, at length, about the evening. Or that prosecutors DROPPED charges against Ray. There was never a deal for his testimony. He testified voluntarily.

One of these day, the press will spend more than a few seconds doing research or rely on old memories when talking about the Ray Lewis murder case. Clearly, he's not going to be the one to break that bad, slanderous habit.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Big big difference for me is that Ray Lewis never knew the men killed victims in Georgia....they were part of a random street fight.
    I think this is the biggest difference between the two situations. Self Defense was certainly on the table in the Ray Lewis fight. This almost looks to be an execution. Hernandez may not have pulled the trigger but if he was there and they can prove that one of the guys did commit the murder the charges are going to be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Nice job by the author leaving out the fact Ray did testify, at length, about the evening. Or that prosecutors DROPPED charges against Ray. There was never a deal for his testimony. He testified voluntarily.

One of these day, the press will spend more than a few seconds doing research or rely on old memories when talking about the Ray Lewis murder case. Clearly, he's not going to be the one to break that bad, slanderous habit.
    Doubtful. Not with the if it bleeds, it leads attitude. Sensation sells.

one huge difference between the Lewis case and this Hernandez case is that in 2000 it was never clear that the deceased were murdered. Clearly in the current case the deceased was executed. in 2000 there was a fight that the two deceased took part in and at trial the two defendants were acquitted because it was ruled self-defense.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-...-murder-trial/