Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats, analytics...and eventually film!

Well, I was surprised and not surprised.

As per PFF, this is the 2016 season.

As a general note, Joe and Tom are ranked 22 and 23 b/c I sorted the entire table based on "average time to throw" (the 5th column from the left).

The colored circles are my adds.
    Green = (Surprisingly) small variance between the QBs
    Red = Large variance between the QBs
    Yellow = Take note of proportional difference b/c it amplifies the variances

Other than the fact that Joe had to chuck it waaaay too often (as we all know), I definitely have some thoughts about both 2016 and 2017, but what do others think?

"The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Re: Time in Pocket: Joe vs. Tom

So Tom dumps off more than Joe?

Blog Entries

we passed way too much last year....waaaaaaayyyyy too much. Joe is just not that throw it 45-60 times a game he gets exposed and becomes too inconsistent. I hope we get back to running the ball but I am not seeing that either.

Blog Entries

Ridiculous number of passes for Joe, that magnifies the lack of run support in the offense last year. Run game was short pass game thus high comp %/. TD / Int speak for themselves

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

sacks should be red. with 2.6 seconds plus, Flacco got sacked 2.36:1 and drop backs were only 1.5:1... to me that says WRs werent getting open. I think the TD:INT ratio also helps show a deficiency at WR, either getting open or lack of play making.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

No QB is a consistent 45-60 attempt QB.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    So Tom dumps off more than Joe?
    If dump off equates to release <= 2.5s then I think it's less.

...and I think that a large degree of Tom's success (i.e., 1 TD every 12 completions and 0 INTs) in that category relates to the size advantages of Gronk and Bennett, as well as the CoD/SaQ advantage of Edelman, Hogan, and Lewis/White.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    sacks should be red. with 2.6 seconds plus, Flacco got sacked 2.36:1 and drop backs were only 1.5:1... to me that says WRs werent getting open. I think the TD:INT ratio also helps show a deficiency at WR, either getting open or lack of play making.
    Good catch, JAB. I calculated the sack ratios and forgot to circle them.
    In both cases, I agree with pass catcher separation being a serious problem--this definitely matches up with what we saw on game day.

And it's not just separation per route, but how and how often NEP pass catchers find the "soft spots" as the play/pocket is beginning to break down at 3... 3.5... 4 secs, etc. as opposed to our own. Also whether though a mental/psych limitation and/or coaching, Joe far more likely to leave his 1st read and go directly to his checkdown--far more so than Brady.

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    No QB is a consistent 45-60 attempt QB.
    Only the absolute best of the soon-to-be HoF'ers can pull it off.
    The other 99.9% of guys? No chance---very true.

@BigPlayReceiver

Brady is in a league of his own at this point of burning the shit out of defenses when they blitz him. Part of it is historic recognition of what defenses are doing pre-snap by him, the other is guys doing a heck of a job with YAC with their offense.

Odd that the longer amount of time, the worse Joe's stats look.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Ridiculous number of passes for Joe, that magnifies the lack of run support in the offense last year. Run game was short pass game thus high comp %/. TD / Int speak for themselves
    I was about to freak out about the high number of attempts for Joe compared to Brady, but then I remembered Brady missed 4 games.

To your point though, that's still a stupid number of attempts by this offense.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

so wait per BPR table there, the more time Joe had back there worse he did??? Am I looking at that right?