Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco Deal Update...

I've been sating since last season, you let Eice walk after this season, No recenr championship team, has alot of money tied into one runner. It's the new NFL, thats why this hasn't been done, and i doubt it does. Running backs can be found alot of places, ans thet arent one injury from obscurity. The Superbowl teams are winning it with passing attacks, and defenses equipped to stop them. I love RR, one of my favorite players, but this is a business. RB's aren't as valuable in the new NFL, especially ones who cant convert, third, and fourth, and short, especially in the red zone.

Blog Entries

^I tend to agree, Sean. Let Rice play under the tag this year and it gives the team time to prepare for the next phase. It's just not worth tying up millions in the RB position, especially given Flacco's contract situation.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    I've been sating since last season, you let Eice walk after this season, No recenr championship team, has alot of money tied into one runner. It's the new NFL, thats why this hasn't been done, and i doubt it does. Running backs can be found alot of places, ans thet arent one injury from obscurity. The Superbowl teams are winning it with passing attacks, and defenses equipped to stop them. I love RR, one of my favorite players, but this is a business. RB's aren't as valuable in the new NFL, especially ones who cant convert, third, and fourth, and short, especially in the red zone.
    Exactly. I just dont know why other posters don't get this. Unless, Rice realizes this he will be gone next season. He won't get anymore $ than Foster who can do things Rice can't. He should sign a Foster like deal and consider himself likely. For over 10 years now we have basically got the same numbers from RB's in Baltimore no matter who carries the ball, but Rice is not good in short yardage which are the most important plays.

Exactly. I just dont know why other posters don't get this. Unless, Rice realizes this he will be gone next season. He won't get anymore $ than Foster who can do things Rice
    can't. He should sign a Foster like deal and consider himself
    lucky. For over 10 years now we have basically got the same numbers from RB's in Baltimore no matter who carries the ball, but Rice is not good in short yardage which are the most important plays.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Both Flacco and Rice will be on the team in 2013. Both will likely be under long term deals, but, at worst, Flacco will have a long term deal and Rice will be tagged a 2nd time.
    Zero, chance Rice get tagged 2nd time. No RB is getting 9-10 million. Ravens will have replacement by then, the offense will be pass oriented moreso. You don't give Flacco money to be Dilferlike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Zero, chance Rice get tagged 2nd time. No RB is getting 9-10 million. Ravens will have replacement by then, the offense will be pass oriented moreso. You don't give Flacco money to be Dilferlike.
    I don't see the offense changing much as long as Cam is still around. No way Flacco can carry the load without a good running game. No. Way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I just don't see it. Again, no question Flacco has been the QB for a lot of games won by the Ravens... but that happened as a result of not only him.
    Flacco had a QB rating of 80.9 last year, which put him 18th in the league. Admittedly, QB rating isn't the be-all-end-all, but it does serve as a measure of efficiency that does have some correlation to winning games. So... the Ravens were capable of winning 12 games last year with a QB rating of 80.9. How many more games do they win if it's 90? What's a QB rating of 80 worth? What's the record of other teams who had a QB rating of ~80? Newton 84.5 rating/6 wins, Hasselbeck: 82.4/9, Dalton 80.4/9, Jackson 79.2/7, Fitzpatrick 79.1/6, Sanchez 78.2/8... That works out to an average of 7.5 wins, and a standard deviation of 1.37. So the Ravens got more than three standard deviations more wins than other teams with similar QB play.... that's a pretty FAR outlier. The big difference is the team with 12 wins also had the 3rd-ranked scoring defense... IMO.
    I don't think Flacco gets any kind of a mega-deal from anyone else based on his body of work so far. That's why I'd be willing, were I the Ravens front office, to see what 2012 brings. If Flacco improves, great--it may cost more money, but it could also be a good problem to have. If he doesn't... well, it's frankly not that hard to find QBs who can average a rating of 80 for the year.
    I think your post is so far off, I don't even know where to begin. If you believe posting averages/standard deviations will decrease Joe's value then I strongly disagree. AND if you think it's easy to find a QB like him (" it's frankly not that hard to find QBs who can average a rating of 80 for the year") then you're so beguiled by numbers that you've lost sight of the most important ones...WINS and LOSSES. IMO FLacco is a winner, and if you believe it would be easy to replace him, then we are at opposite ends of the QB spectrum... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I don't see the offense changing much as long as Cam is still around. No way Flacco can carry the load without a good running game. No. Way.
    What would you say he did in the playoffs?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Exactly. I just dont know why other posters don't get this. Unless, Rice realizes this he will be gone next season. He won't get anymore $ than Foster who can do things Rice
    can't. He should sign a Foster like deal and consider himself
    lucky. For over 10 years now we have basically got the same numbers from RB's in Baltimore no matter who carries the ball, but Rice is not good in short yardage which are the most important plays.
    What don't we get? Your opinion? We get it, becuase you've been very forthright w it. What you don't seem to get is that it is just that: Your opinion. It isn't a fact.

Now, I'm not saying you pay Rice whatever he wants. Personally, I think a deal in the Foster range, even if it exceeds it by a bit, is fine. An AP or CJ contract is not. However, the idea that we'd somehow be BETTER off w/o Rice, is downright absurd imo.

This offense has ran through RR for three years now. Flacco struggled imo to adjust w/o Mason and Heap, which is why his numbers were down this year; it would be far worse w/o Rice. I think RR masks alot of Flacco's and the offenses' shortcomings.

Now, for all the he can't get the 4th-1 talk, he set a franchise record last year for rushing tds, so a few high-profile failures in the playoffs, against D-Lines which were owning our OL, doesn't negate that fact.

Blog Entries

They're also winning with better quarterbacks and wide receivers than the Ravens have. If they are committed to Flacco they're going to need a strong running game. If they want to be like the Giants, Packers or Saints they need a better QB and much better receivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They're also winning with better quarterbacks and wide receivers than the Ravens have. If they are committed to Flacco they're going to need a strong running game. If they want to be like the Giants, Packers or Saints they need a better QB and much better receivers.
    This ^^^... People need to understand that we are never going to have the offense Green Bay has with our receivers, and I'm not sold that Flacco will ever be as good as Rogers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This ^^^... People need to understand that we are never going to have the offense Green Bay has with our receivers, and I'm not sold that Flacco will ever be as good as Rogers.
    Haven't you heard he's the best in the league?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!